Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 PM

250 posts, read 269,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
How can one propose a solution when the reason(s) for the violence has not been clarified? I asked earlier what was the cause of it and I have yet to receive an answer aside from people yelling that I want the parade to end, which is a ridiculous claim simply because I pointed out the continued violence that occurs during the events.

Oh my God, I just talked about why some of the violence occurs. People from neighboring communities come to the site of the parade and with that, you are always going to get the criminal element who will act out. They come from East Flatbush, Crown Heights, Brownsville, Bedstuy, Bushwick, and East New York. Another thing you should know is that most of the shootings that occurs during Labor Day Weekend are committed by young men who are affiliated with gangs. They are the ones carrying guns. They are the ones who act out and can ruin the experience for everyone. The only thing parade organizers can do is plead for peace, but it hasn't reach that stage yet. A plea like that will fall on deaf ears to these knuckleheads who don't have conflict resolution skills. A bump, a side eye look, anything trivial can spark a shooting. The parade itself is a fun, jovial atmosphere and the safest you'll find yourself in.

What more do you want? Do you want Al Sharpton coming out with a megaphone telling people to stop the violence? The parade hasn't been a bloodbath and as far as I know, most of the incidents occur before and after the parade and in different parts of Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 PM

250 posts, read 269,619 times
Scantily clad women have nothing to do with violence. You had women dressed up normal clothing getting their butts pinched and their breasts fondled during the Puerto Rican Day parade back in June of 2000. You never heard anything like that happening at the WI LDP.

Puerto Rican Day Parade attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM

34,127 posts, read 47,356,745 times
I'll give you guys the real answer. The West Indies in general is not known to be a region with exemplary law enforcement. It's more of a vigilante society (take matters into their own hands). Unfortunately, those of lower class bring it over here. Combine that with already established gangs in Brooklyn, and that's your reason for the yearly bloodshed.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 PM

19,067 posts, read 13,999,119 times
Can't rep you Seventh, but your post certainly deserves it.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:37 PM

302 posts, read 309,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
Oh my God, I just talked about why some of the violence occurs. People from neighboring communities come to the site of the parade and with that, you are always going to get the criminal element who will act out. They come from East Flatbush, Crown Heights, Brownsville, Bedstuy, Bushwick, and East New York. Another thing you should know is that most of the shootings that occurs during Labor Day Weekend are committed by young men who are affiliated with gangs. They are the ones carrying guns. They are the ones who act out and can ruin the experience for everyone. The only thing parade organizers can do is plead for peace, but it hasn't reach that stage yet. A plea like that will fall on deaf ears to these knuckleheads who don't have conflict resolution skills. A bump, a side eye look, anything trivial can spark a shooting. The parade itself is a fun, jovial atmosphere and the safest you'll find yourself in.

What more do you want? Do you want Al Sharpton coming out with a megaphone telling people to stop the violence? The parade hasn't been a bloodbath and as far as I know, most of the incidents occur before and after the parade and in different parts of Brooklyn.
The parade itself happens in ''Crown Heights'', but stretches a little bit into the East Flatbush on the East and Flatbush on the West.But the parade has been held in on Eastern Pkwy in Crown Heights for years and has always been attested by the Jewish Community living there, so best believe the attendees of Labor Day parade have some standard of behavior or would have been shut down.Like what you said most of the shootings occur some blocks away from the parade and are not in even in the same time period as Labor Day. Its funny you don't hear about the shootings of 4th of July being blamed for the problems with American Holiday. Neither is the holiday of Mardi Gras being blamed for the problems and violence that occurs during then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'll give you guys the real answer. The West Indies in general is not known to be a region with exemplary law enforcement. It's more of a vigilante society (take matters into their own hands). Unfortunately, those of lower class bring it over here. Combine that with already established gangs in Brooklyn, and that's your reason for the yearly bloodshed.
This is incorrect the police in places like Jamaica,Trinidad,and Guyana are very hard and crucial on criminals. The police in the West Indies are 4x excessive as the police in America,they are known for having shoot outs and kill criminals.

And no its not the Wild Wild West Indies what so ever, many WIs are conservative.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 PM

Brooklyn has been a West Indian Stompin Ground.Look at this song

Lil Kim-Put Ya Lighters Up

Look at the tone of his song.
Jay-z -Lucifer [''I'm From The Muder Capital they murder for capita''(Brooklyn reference)]

Big up MC Lyte for this

MC Lyte- Brooklyn Anthem.''Weakness in my knees for them Guyanese,been screaming ruff neck since 93''.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:17 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,552,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
J'Vouvert is very much associated with Canrival especially on other islands. .

I am fully aware of what j'ouvert is and its integral role in the carnivals of Trinidad and Grenada where it is INDIGEOUS with the jab jabs, etc.

My question is whether all of the j'ouvert in NYC is part of what WIADCA organizes or is some informal?

While we can argue that the formal parade isn't usually violent, its tough to make the same comment about j'ouvert in Brooklyn. As some would said too many idiots show up and many don't have a Caribbean connection, nor do they care about the event. I know a black American who told me that when he was young he used to go to the parade to snatch jewelry. Given that j'ouvert is at night it has harder to control.

My question will be whether it is necessary as it is obvious that among the peaceful and fun loving revelers there are other not so peaceful people. There is a viral video with people stomping over a police car. I don't know whether this incident was part of some j'ouvert group, or occurred no where near, but is just a plot by mischievous bigots. Or if the cops in that car had provoked people (maybe by driving into the crowd). But frankly that sight is disturbing.

Last edited by caribny; 09-09-2014 at 12:29 AM..

Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,552,126 times
Quote:

This is incorrect the police in places like Jamaica,Trinidad,and Guyana are very hard and crucial on criminals. The police in the West Indies are 4x excessive as the police in America,they are known for having shoot outs and kill criminals.

And no its not the Wild Wild West Indies what so ever, many WIs are conservative.

You are saying the same thing though you are putting a positive spin. Police forces in the Caribbean can be quite brutal and in Jamaica and Guyana there is definitely a rogue element who act like vigilantes. In Guyana there is also some evidence that a few cops even moon light as mercenaries for wealthy business people, some of whom are drug lords.

The English speaking Caribbean has now become one of the most violent places where there is no war. Central America beats us, but then that is not saying much.

And yes you can blame being located between the biggest drug addicted nation (the USA) and the biggest source of supply (the Andean nations). Too many guns and to much money to entice our legions of unemployed youth into the drug industry.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I am fully aware of what j'ouvert is and its integral role in the carnivals of Trinidad and Grenada where it is INDIGEOUS with the jab jabs, etc.

My question is whether all of the j'ouvert in NYC is part of what WIADCA organizes or is some informal?

While we can argue that the formal parade isn't usually violent, its tough to make the same comment about j'ouvert in Brooklyn. As some would said too many idiots show up and many don't have a Caribbean connection, nor do they care about the event. I know a black American who told me that when he was young he used to go to the parade to snatch jewelry. Given that j'ouvert is at night it has harder to control.

My question will be whether it is necessary as it is obvious that among the peaceful and fun loving revelers there are other not so peaceful people. There is a viral video with people stomping over a police car. I don't know whether this incident was part of some j'ouvert group, or occurred no where near, but is just a plot by mischievous bigots. Or if the cops in that car had provoked people (maybe by driving into the crowd). But frankly that sight is disturbing.
Yes the J'ourvert is sponsored by the WIADCA. Yes many knucklheads show up looking for an opportunity to make a rip off, and its some people of West Indian descent doing these criminalistic activities.I am not going to sit here and tell you there is no incidents on the Parkway before , I've been in some stampedes,know about people shot on there ,and seen many gang fights on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

You are saying the same thing though you are putting a positive spin. Police forces in the Caribbean can be quite brutal and in Jamaica and Guyana there is definitely a rogue element who act like vigilantes. In Guyana there is also some evidence that a few cops even moon light as mercenaries for wealthy business people, some of whom are drug lords.

The English speaking Caribbean has now become one of the most violent places where there is no war. Central America beats us, but then that is not saying much.

And yes you can blame being located between the biggest drug addicted nation (the USA) and the biggest source of supply (the Andean nations). Too many guns and to much money to entice our legions of unemployed youth into the drug industry

Yes there are definitely cops who take unorthodox methods. Guyana has had cops that have hunted down suspected criminals and people affiliated with them but sometimes it got innocent victims involved.The Phantom Squad going from village to village,is another example of this.In response like these you would have the fineman crew raising havoc.The police have always been corrupt in Guyana and want pay offs from a lot of things, they are real criminals cause you could be straight and get extorted. The thing is most of the police force are black. Jamaica cops have little resources and are sort of at war with police.

The guns and drugs come in from forces to powerful. You actually had Genovese,Sianola Cartel, Italian Ndreghetta Mafia,Philipine criminals operating in Guyana. So there is heavy criminal world there.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 09-09-2014 at 02:03 AM..

Old 09-09-2014, 06:31 PM

34,127 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
The parade itself happens in ''Crown Heights'', but stretches a little bit into the East Flatbush on the East and Flatbush on the West.But the parade has been held in on Eastern Pkwy in Crown Heights for years and has always been attested by the Jewish Community living there, so best believe the attendees of Labor Day parade have some standard of behavior or would have been shut down.Like what you said most of the shootings occur some blocks away from the parade and are not in even in the same time period as Labor Day. Its funny you don't hear about the shootings of 4th of July being blamed for the problems with American Holiday. Neither is the holiday of Mardi Gras being blamed for the problems and violence that occurs during then.

You're kidding, right? Anytime my fam goes to the West Indies, we follow these 2 rules - no jewelry and no flashy clothes. You take a look at the murder rate at some of the largest countries in the Caribbean and they're way higher than anywhere in America.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City