Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 03:27 PM

300 posts, read 375,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I hope it works. When is your lease up?
Not until next spring of next year so I have a ways to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 03:27 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,763,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayBed-Stuy View Post
Have you not thought about the fact that if you live in an apartment you may just be doing that already? Agents do not have to discuss whether someone died or was raped or murdered in the apartment.
Have you not thought about the fact that I stated in my post that if I knew that someone had died in an apartment that I was considering occupying, it would creep me out? You don't have to answer as the answer to my question is obvious.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:29 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,763,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Back in the late 80s the guy upstairs died in July. Wasn't found for days (the smell was the clue). I don't think the landlord replaced the wood floor as on really hot and humid days, 'Frankie' came back.

It faded though. Didn't bother us. Just boil coffee grounds or burn a cigar.
Would rather smell a dead guy than a burning cigar.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,901 times
What a sad and grisly (and yet realistic) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
I do like coffee, so I may look into that option. Thanks for your suggestions.
That could result in your not enjoying coffee any more in future--you may always associate the coffee smell to that...

I suppose this kind of sad incidents don't only happen in poor neighborhoods. A millionaire living alone without many contacts could die that way?

Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 PM

518 posts, read 826,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post

That could result in your not enjoying coffee any more in future--you may always associate the coffee smell to that...

I suppose this kind of sad incidents don't only happen in poor neighborhoods. A millionaire living alone without many contacts could die that way?
It can happen to anyone as they grow old and have less or no family or friends to look in on them. Al Hodge who played Captain Video on TV in the '50s died alone and broke at the George Washington hotel on Lex & 23rd back in the 1970's. It has been cleaned up since but at the time the George Washington was a dive full of pimps and hookers who were incredulous when they found out that old white guy was Captain Video.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post

To answer your question, yes it's possible. This is community an upper middle class, and it has a sizable elderly population, so I imagine this situation happens quite often here.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:45 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
It can happen to anyone as they grow old and have less or no family or friends to look in on them. Al Hodge who played Captain Video on TV in the '50s died alone and broke at the George Washington hotel on Lex & 23rd back in the 1970's. It has been cleaned up since but at the time the George Washington was a dive full of pimps and hookers who were incredulous when they found out that old white guy was Captain Video.
Many famous persons die alone. Bobby Driscoll (the child actor of "Song Of The South" fame died alone in an East Village burned out wreck of a building. Bobby Driscoll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sadly by the time his family back in California found out the body had been listed as unclaimed by the medical examiner's office and buried on Hart Island in a pauper's grave.

Actor Paul Lynde was pretty much left to die after suffering a coronary incident while having a tryst with a young man. The kid split never bothering to contact LE or even call for 911 to seek medical assistance.

If you live in a NYC building that is >ten years old (and there are plenty of them) chances are someone sometime has died either in your apartment or at least on the property.

There are hundreds of brownstones/townhouses/hotels/boarding homes, etc.... standing that have been around since the 1800's. In an era when persons more often than not died at home there you are then.

We are not even touching upon former hospitals, orphanages, and so forth that have been converted into housing.

Saint Vincent's in The Village, Leroy Hospital on the UES, The French Hospital on the Eastside are but a few places that closed and were converted into housing. Now you *KNOW* persons died in those buildings! *LOL*

Years ago read on some sort of NYC contractors/renovators website (maybe Brownstoner.com) about those that go into older homes/apartments after someone has died and the place was purchased to begin renovations. They told of the various and interesting things they find in walls and between floorboards left by previous occupants (now on the other side).

One guy said he and his crew found in a wall a series of pictures (from the 1940's?) of a young woman and a group of sailors (orgy). The woman must have put the items in the walls for safekeeping and or to keep prying eyes (a later husband?) from finding out about her "past".

Old 09-23-2014, 05:09 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,095,470 times
Wondering if this is the same incident :Parkchester tenants complain of foul odor from decomposed body - News 12 Bronx

Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,245,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
That's horrible!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:41 PM

Management was quite responsive in our case. We have a website that we can use to report any maintenance issues, and make payments, etc. I got a response in about 5 minutes and was told the super was already on it. Cleaned all of the hallways and ventilated the building until the smell subsided. There is still a lingering smell but that's because the apartment still is sealed off by the NYPD and probably will be for the next few months until they can go in and rip out everything and disinfect the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: