Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 06:49 AM

3 posts, read 9,726 times

Advertisements

I recently had cable/internet repairs done at an apartment building that I help my mother manage. Over the course of 3 days, 3 different employees did a hackjob of an install, where we even had to kick one(the first employee) out when we caught him cutting random wires inside the house that were completely unrelated to the job that he was there to do(which I had to fix myself afterwards).

I go to my backyard and find the outside cablebox they were working on left completely unlocked, opened, and exposed like this:

Cablevision Box

I would close the damn thing up myself, but there's about 10 stickers on it with threats of penalties and criminal charges for "tampering", and I read their TOS that has similar language. I live in a very poor area and it's only a matter of time before people start swooping from the adjacent buildings in the middle of the night to steal cable. I've called the company, but they're dragging their feet about the issue.

I already have a letter typed up detailing everything, with photos, dates, employee IDs, receipts etc. I'd like to know where to submit this so that there's an official record of this documented, in the event the cable company tries to somehow blame us for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 01:40 PM

33 posts, read 63,495 times
How do people steal cable?

Old 09-11-2014, 01:44 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
I'd probably file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I complained about Sprint once and got a call from a supervisor a few weeks later who resolved my issue. However, my understanding of cable companies in general is that they couldn't care less about their customer service so I don't know if you'd be wasting your time.

If you can, what about getting service from another cable company? They are all greedy hacks but maybe they can fix these issues in the process of installing their service.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:49 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
You can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, or contact their customer service department.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
You stand on your roof and whisper your complaint to the Heavens...that will be as good as any.

We had Comcast in a "luxury" building and the boxes were left unlocked FOR YEARS. Same with the Verizon phone boxes.
Management: "You gotta call the Cable company and the phone company."
Cable and phone company: "You gotta call Building Management."

Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
OP, if you are so unhappy with them why don't you cancel your service and steal cable. Since the box is unlocked it should be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City