Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
I have visited Brighton Beach in Brooklyn this summer and have really liked it!! I speak Russian and it was such an amazing culture shock just people speaking russian all over!!

For the first time in nine years of living in America I did not feel "different" when speaking Russian in public. It felt great in my opinion. Plus hundreds of people where just mingling at the beach boardwalk! Resturants, priests, children, couples holding hands.. nothing i've ever seen living the west in that special regard. . Lol

Now knowing that even though it was such a great culture shock for me I only stayed there for an hour and a half at night. So I have not seen the full Brighton Beach community.

I want a realistic perception on what people think of Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. What are its pro's and con's.

The pro's I found was .. besides thousands of native russian speakers. Brighton Beach was right by the ocean. There was a boardwalk, and Coney Island is about a mile away.

So what are the pro's and con's?

What is your critique about this area???
Brighton Beach is awesome. Especially for us russians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:32 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I think it's wrong to have store signs printed in Russian--that's kind of like saying nobody else is welcome. And let's face it: this is Brooklyn, not St. Petersburg. But other than that, a vibrant immigrant community--it's the story of the U.S. in miniature! Thumbs up to Brighton Beach.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:37 AM

22 posts, read 57,535 times
Brighton has some good food and it's pretty safe, but also dirty and loud. I can speak Russian so it's a comfortable environment for me.

It's more of a little Soviet Union than little Russia, because people from all former Soviet-occupied countries live and work there. Except Ukrainians, there's a Little Ukraine neighborhood in Manhattan, but they're completely Americanized over there. Newly arriving Ukrainians often can't afford to live in Manhattan and group in with the other ex-commies in south Brooklyn.

The reason why Russians expect everyone to speak Russian is because that's how they act in Europe too. When Russians move to Latvia or Ukraine, or whatever, they don't ask their children to start learning the native language, but rather expect the host country to make Russian official. In fact they often encourage their children not to learn local languages.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:10 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTimeless View Post
Brighton has some good food and it's pretty safe, but also dirty and loud.

The reason why Russians expect everyone to speak Russian is because that's how they act in Europe too. When Russians move to Latvia or Ukraine, or whatever, they don't ask their children to start learning the native language, but rather expect the host country to make Russian official. In fact they often encourage their children not to learn local languages.
Brighton can be shady at night. It is generally safe but once in a while, crime can happen over there. One time I had this russian lady talking to russian to me. I told her I don't understand russian. She got mad at me because I didn't understand russian. I said " this is America". IMO, I think English should be the only language spoken in the U.S.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
It's changed a lot just in the past decade.

When my parents immigrated to the US in 1989 Brighton was a Russian Jewish enclave. It is not anymore. Most of the Jews who immigrated before the mid to late 1990's have since assimilated (more so their children) and moved out to the suburbs or to other states.

What's left of the Jewish community are the business owners and senior citizens who long for the non existent golden Soviet days. All the while contemplating this while being supported by American tax dollars. Funny, ain't it?

The rest are relatively new immigrants of the non Jewish persuasion. There's a difference and it mostly lies in the reasons that Russian Jews like my parents came to the US and the reasons why the newer immigrants come. Not all immigrants are cut from the same clothe.

My family was never to fond of Brighton to begin with. My father always had a disdain for it actually. He said that if he felt like being amongst Russians and Russian culture then he'd have stayed in Russia. We never lived there and haven't visited in over 15 years even though we've lived in Brooklyn since coming into the US.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:11 PM

22 posts, read 57,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Brighton can be shady at night. It is generally safe but once in a while, crime can happen over there. One time I had this russian lady talking to russian to me. I told her I don't understand russian. She got mad at me because I didn't understand russian. I said " this is America". IMO, I think English should be the only language spoken in the U.S.
You're right, but immigrants always mostly speak their native language. When Germans came here en masse there were huge areas in Manhattan where you couldn't hear a word in English. Let's just hope they don't repeat their traditional practices in eastern Europe where they tried to force the locals to learn their language instead, lol.

Last edited by AstroTimeless; 06-22-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:

when anyone talks Russian to me, I answer in Greek.....because I speak Greek fluently

Old 06-24-2011, 09:38 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
when anyone talks Russian to me, I answer in Greek.....because I speak Greek fluently
Nice going

Old 06-24-2011, 10:20 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Nice going

Thank you, then I make them feel dumb...

Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Warum bist du so Kalt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City