Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:34 PM

173 posts, read 220,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
One person calls NYC living, as "Brutal." Another calls it, "Hell on Earth."

I have lived here most of life, and sure, it is not for the faint of heart, but I would not go to those extremes.

Only if you have lived here, or live here now, what is your take on this?
Born and raised in NYC and now living in CT and the one of the things I miss about NYC are New Yorkers ! I don't miss the parking and the traffic but real Born and Raised New Yorkers are a different breed I amonly now an Hour away from NYC but sometimes feel like hundred of miles away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:10 PM

36 posts, read 43,753 times
Hip Hop music from NYC is making a huge come back. Which is good news.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:21 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
it's one big junk yard. watch out for the smasher!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:37 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
One person calls NYC living, as "Brutal." Another calls it, "Hell on Earth."

I have lived here most of life, and sure, it is not for the faint of heart, but I would not go to those extremes.

Only if you have lived here, or live here now, what is your take on this?
Those statements, in my opinion, are ridiculous. Extremely dramatic.

New York City is a very competitive city that offers challenges that no other city does--at least in the United States. Rent is high, car usage is low, walking to and from is a must, and there is a risk of higher crime and interaction with sketchy-to unavoidable stranger interaction at times on the street and in public.

I think it is certainly a city that brings out certain emotions in people more strongly, due to the challenges the city offers. However, on the flip side, people move here and live here due to the amazingness a city like this can offer people.

There's always a choice to move away. I consider it myself on occasion, but I don't think I would be as happy living anywhere else right now in my life.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:53 AM

155 posts, read 259,096 times
New York City!!! YEAH!!!!

Old 09-15-2014, 10:24 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The majority people I know who love NYC are not native to the city. I rarely come across who are not native to NYC who do not love the city.
There may be some truth to this, as I am from the Washington DC area and have always loved NYC.

It sure is a nice city to visit and blow your money like I will be doing again around Thanksgiving.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:51 PM

749 posts, read 921,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The way I describe it is that it's a constant struggle for limited resources. Parking, seat on the train, waiting in line. There are good things about NYC, however they are outweighed by the bad. I was born and raised here and the 70's, 80's, and 90's were brutal.
But, I was here in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and I have survived? Sure, I have had to work very hard for what I have achieved, but I would not call it "brutal" or "hell in earth'' ? My take on this is that NYC prepares you to face the world head on......it makes you very strong mentally, physically, and in every way, some people can take, others cannot.....

Old 09-15-2014, 03:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
NYC is the best city in the world if you are super rich. If you are working class poor NYC is not for you.. your money will not go very far between the cost of housing and taxes.. same with California especially San Fran.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:01 PM

749 posts, read 921,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx10461 View Post
Born and raised in NYC and now living in CT and the one of the things I miss about NYC are New Yorkers ! I don't miss the parking and the traffic but real Born and Raised New Yorkers are a different breed I amonly now an Hour away from NYC but sometimes feel like hundred of miles away
I have travelled abroad, and throughout 49 states, and came close to moving to San Diego, California, "Americas Finest City," for good, lived there for a while, and missed NYC and New Yorkers immensely. People there were so different than here, and their thought process was so pathetic, that I could not stand it.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:19 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
But, I was here in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and I have survived? Sure, I have had to work very hard for what I have achieved, but I would not call it "brutal" or "hell in earth'' ? My take on this is that NYC prepares you to face the world head on......it makes you very strong mentally, physically, and in every way, some people can take, others cannot.....
Yea, I survived too. And if just surviving is what you believe to be a good quality of life, God bless you. Packing so many people into such a small area, living in a high crime environment, paying an exorbitant amount of cash for a shoe box of an apartment, inhaling noxious fumes on a daily basis, not having exposure to the natural world, dealing with knuckleheads, in my humble opinion is not a good quality of life.
You see, what happens is that the abnormal becomes normal if you stay in that environment and can't imagine going anywhere else. Believe it or not there is a better quality of life outside of NYC, and it's not that far outside of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: