Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 12:30 PM

218 posts, read 473,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewCitizen111 View Post
I specifically asked this question and the coordinator said you DO NOT get kicked out if you improve your income. She described this program as being "a leg up" so people have the opportunity to get back on their feet or to have relief in a decent place to live while they improve their finances. What would be the incentive for me to thrive if I were thinking I would end up homeless one year later?
Our agent said the same thing. They said "You can win the lotto tomorrow and become a millionaire, and still live here." "You want to get your foot in the door first"

Old 08-20-2015, 12:52 PM

457 posts, read 736,802 times
WishMeLuck,

How would Related Management know your parents sold their house or that they gave you money? When you win $100 from playing a lottery scratch off, do you tell Related Management? If they answer is NO then don't divulge it. Your personal stuff is your business. If your parents have another baby, are you supposed to tell Related? If your friend lent you 100 dollars to pay your Con Ed bill because you over extended your personal finances that month, are you supposed to tell Related? If you got your hair relaxed, should you tell Related? Stop acting foolish as a reason for you to get evicted over nothing.

No one is going to evict someone for paying on time and for trying to be a success story. If anything, Obama will thank you for improving ones self. That's all NYC wants is for you to be a success story so they can tax your paycheck and use that money to do corrupt things or provide alleged aide to the poor.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:00 PM

18 posts, read 28,823 times
Just as an FYI - I did not apply to HPS. I currently am in Q41 and think it would have been absurd to apply to another lottery after already being so lucky to win.

BUT, I don't know if there is anything that will actually happen if there is a waitlist and/or internal transfer list once the building is full because I know

My building was all low/middle income (just like HPS) except 4 apartments. Two of the low/middle income apartments have been vacated by the original lottery winners and are now listed on a real estate website for above the low/middle income prices (SLIGHTLY lower than market rate but basically market rate). It does not appear they will be filling the empty apartments with people that were on the waitlist/applied and weren't selected.

It doesn't appear the developers are held to any rules after initially filling the apartments, unfortunately.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:11 PM

357 posts, read 656,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereforq41 View Post
Just as an FYI - I did not apply to HPS. I currently am in Q41 and think it would have been absurd to apply to another lottery after already being so lucky to win.

BUT, I don't know if there is anything that will actually happen if there is a waitlist and/or internal transfer list once the building is full because I know

My building was all low/middle income (just like HPS) except 4 apartments. Two of the low/middle income apartments have been vacated by the original lottery winners and are now listed on a real estate website for above the low/middle income prices (SLIGHTLY lower than market rate but basically market rate). It does not appear they will be filling the empty apartments with people that were on the waitlist/applied and weren't selected.

It doesn't appear the developers are held to any rules after initially filling the apartments, unfortunately.
Thats interesting. But not surprising that they would find some sort of loophole. We keep hearing on this thread that "once your're in, your're in" and that they dont care how much more money you make. But I guess on their end, "once you're out, you're out" and they dont REALLY have to honor the wait list.

Do you have an idea why those individuals vacated their apartment?

How are you liking Q41 yourself?

Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 PM

32 posts, read 45,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAndConfusedHPSGuy View Post
I know you're making a joke, but would highly recommend against using an oven for heat, that's how fires get started. And comments like this will give bad ideas to some, especially those on tight budgets.

Tru dat. Guys, don't burn my building down!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:14 PM

46 posts, read 65,011 times
My husband is curious about the benefits the developers obtain with this program.

He understands that buildings that offer 20% of the building to low income but the other 80% at market value get a major tax incentive but what other incentives to they get to offer the other 80% to moderate income oppose to offer them at market value?

Old 08-20-2015, 01:24 PM

76 posts, read 127,216 times
The designated moving zone at Crossing is gone. Apparently someone wanted to park there and called the cops. NYPD said the building could no longer keep it sectioned off for people moving in, so now cars are parked along the entire entrance side of the building. This should make moving pretty difficult because it gives trucks nowhere to park and blocks the door. I anticipate I'll get a ticket for being double parked when the time comes. Bummer. Having that area coned off was making move-ins much easier.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:49 PM

457 posts, read 736,802 times
BK Nurse,

To clarify, for Q41, there wasn't any low income applicants. That was a middle income lottery. A single person making 58K is not considered low. A few units were awarded to applicants are very reasonable prices: 1,100 for a studio, 1,400 for a 1 bedroom and 1,600 for a 2 bedroom, but neither of the lottery winners were low income. A few winners did a 1 year lease and moved out. Those units are now open to everyone, but they're still subject to the same income requirements as all applicants. People next on the lottery line are not getting called as I'm sure the paperwork has all been shredded at this point.

There are 7 market rentals in the building with high end equipment and marble countertops. Some of those individuals have expressed to me how unhappy they are to pay what they pay and not have neighbors on par with their income bracket. There's always going to be tension when someone can afford a Gucci bag while the other person can only afford a bag from Walmart or Conway.

Not sure why anyone would leave after such a long and intense application process and knowing they won't find something that is considered luxury at the same price as the Q41.

Also, the vacant units slightly went up but are not considered market prices. The realtor explained all future tenants are subject to same middle income requirements as everyone else in order for the building to continue receiving it's tax credit.

Last edited by NYCLotteryGurl; 08-20-2015 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 02:00 PM

36 posts, read 62,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
That's interesting, that really only means having kids then cuz if you want a bigger place for a partner, with their income you'd probably be over the 140% of your bracket and can't move. Unless there's an exception there, I'll have to look.

Also if you say the rent increase calculations are only for subsidized housing and not the low income tax credit buildings, does that mean in my theoretical example (over-limit income and partner) I'd keep paying $640 (plus annual increase) on a lease renewal? Or do you interpret the line about rent not being raised above the tax credit program amount to mean it CAN get raised but only to the top tier low income price? Obviously that's far from terrible I just want to understand definitively.
You can get married/divorced/give birth/household member passes are examples.

Rent subsidized programs are the programs where your rent is determined every year based off of your annual income. It's usually a sliding scale situation and usually doesn't exceed 30% of your annual income, few exceptions.

In reference to Hunter's Point South, this is a rent stabilized Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program. Rent stabilized differs from rent subsidized.

Using your hypothetical situation with the over-limit income & partner, you recertify, you're over the maximum income limit for a 2 person household but are under the 140% rule...you will pay the same rent that is indicated on your lease until your lease expires. Upon expiration of your lease you will be sent a renewal which will allow you to choose another 1 or 2 year lease option and with those options come a respective Rent Guidelines Board increase (i.e. 1 year = 1% increase 2 year = 2.75% increase).

The rents for Hunter's Point South are separated by household size and annual household income. So once you qualify and move in, you will continue with that same initial rent until the lease expires and you choose your new option. You will not be switched to a new "tier of rent." The only time you will change initial rents is if you move into a different size unit.

Recertification and choosing your new lease terms are two totally separate processes.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:28 PM

15 posts, read 26,637 times
I am somewhat new here since I was just contacted by Related a week ago. They ran my credit four days ago and I was told today that my application has been processed by my agent Rich and is being reviewed by the compliance team, after that they will let me know about an interview. I just need to sit back, be patient and in order to relieve any stress about it put it out of my mind. haha.

A BIG Congrats to everyone that has been accepted and is/or has already moved in. As a lifelong Queens resident (and lover of the borough) it is an amazing property and a wonderful neighborhood, you are truly fortunate!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.