Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 PM

424 posts, read 974,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Hope the city will enforce higher standards of hygien on public dinning places. Last I heard is that ebola is not extremely stable outside the body.
True, what if a restaurant worker became symptomatic and didn't know or thought it was the flu? Taking too many days off may lead to them getting fired (despite the citywide law of paid sick leave) Since many restaurant workers also aren't covered for healthcare insurance they might be reluctant to visit a hospital unless they absolutely need to since an overnight stay can make an enormous cost for anyone on min wage. By the time an ambulance shows up it might be too late to save them and they could have possibly infected diners at the restaurant they work at.... that's kind of frightening to think about actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times

Remain Indoors - The Quiz Broadcast Pt. I - YouTube

Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Stop it!!!!!!! You got doctors who are having to wear full body suits when coming into contact with people who are wearing Ebola, but you suggest New Yorkers wear disposable gloves???? Seriously - cut it out. Enough with the stupid fear mongering Ebola posts. Quit your job and stay inside if you're so worried. Disposable gloves....you sound silly.
If this was indeed fear mongering for you, you should stop reading about it so you wont feel it. It does not matter how you label the matter, public health is about precaution, prevention and protection. The US spends how much on vaccinating ppl
against all kinds of known deadly pathogens even though many of them have been eradicated here, do you understand why that is being done? Is that fear mongering to you as well?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:37 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
If this was indeed fear mongering for you, you should stop reading about it so you wont feel it. It does not matter how you label the matter, public health is about precaution, prevention and protection. The US spends how much on vaccinating ppl
against all kinds of known deadly pathogens even though many of them have been eradicated here, do you understand why that is being done? Is that fear mongering to you as well?
Trust me I'll sleep like a baby tonight. I'm not worried about Ebola at all. You go ahead and wear your gloves though....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-23-2014, 09:45 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Trust me I'll sleep like a baby tonight. I'm not worried about Ebola at all. You go ahead and wear your gloves though....
Not right now no but the problem is if this isn't nipped in the bud exponential growth gets ugly fast. It's not necessarily a bad idea to start getting in the habits of good hygiene (washing hands, not touching your face, etc.) and minimizing eating out sooner rather than later, even if plastic gloves are overkill at this stage.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
The problem with plastic gloves isn't that they're overkill, it's that they won't help. Touch infected fluid, touch your face -- doesn't matter if you're wearing gloves or not, you can be infected that way. You might touch your face less if you're wearing the gloves, that's about all.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:53 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:

If I was the mayor or in any other significant leadership position, I would have shut up because otherwise that would indeed cause public panic. But believe me, you have to read between the lines of any official press to understand their real stances on this matter. Besides, all I have been doing is to raise awareness of ebola and take proper precautions to reduce one's risk of contracting it. I have not claimed that ebola will wipe out half of nyc residents. In contrast, as things have progressed with existing ebola cases, its fatality rate seems to be minimal compared to that in the africa. but still, its spreading should be avoided by all means.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:59 PM

671 posts, read 890,627 times
Ebola is one ugly virus and yea more people die from falling off ladders..But the difference is I have a choice weather to climb that ladder. I hear the don't worry be happy drumbeat coming from the media and our" Dear Leaders" arms and legs,,,which is every government agency..I don't believe them nor trust them and rightly so.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,136 times
At first I thought, well, I never hold those handles and poles in a subway train. I just find a seat and sit down. But then, when I was adding to my metrocard today, I had to press the button to enter my zip code, and of course touch the touch screen many times. How many people's dirty fingers have touched them? You don't need to have physical contact with a fellow passenger in order to catch a contagious disease.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
The only disposal glove I wear in NYC is a condom. Nyc has some of the highest rates of venieral disease in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City