Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:46 PM

9 posts, read 16,097 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt. I just took a transfer at my job (UPS driver) from Nassau county to South Manhattan. I currently live in Douglaston Queens. This is the first time I'll have to commute via train to a job. I'll be taking the E train downtown.

My question is, where is the best spot along the queens part of the route to park and ride. Forest Hills, Jackson heights, Jamaica, Kew Gardens? I think those are the 4 stops in Queens. Looking for street parking. Between 730-830 AM. I'm looking to move closer in the future, but this all happened with in a weeks time. First day will be Tuesday.

Any advice on the parking situation is greatly appreciated. And any general commuting advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 05:54 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times
I know on the north side of Queens Blvd. near the 71st Avenue stop in Forest Hills it is always difficult to find parking and one has to remember that there is street cleaning/alternate side regulations 2 days a week. So I doubt that it is a good place to park.

As for the Roosevelt Avenue stop in Jackson Heights, it is a middle of a commercial area of shops so I would guess that too wouldn't be the greatest place to park besides the fact that it is more difficult to get on the E train at the stop in the morning rush hour due to the fact that is a transfer station between the local & express Queens Blvd. trains as well a connection to the 7 train coming from Flushing.

The Jamaica stops are also near a commercial district so again I believe parking might be difficult there as well.

The Union Turnpike Kew Gardens stop is right near the Queens Boro Hall and I doubt there is a parking on the north side of Queens Blvd. But perhaps on south side which is more residential might be better (although this is just a guess on my part).

Old 10-25-2014, 05:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Just pointing out, but if money isn't an issue, you can take the LIRR to Penn Station and then take the subway downtown. If you time everything right (which is the key phrase), you can probably get to work in around an hour. (The total monthly cost would be $112 for the subway, plus $210 for the LIRR)

Otherwise, there's the option of the Q12 bus to the <7> express, and then taking the subway downtown once you're in Manhattan. It'll save you the trouble of finding parking.

The third option is to take the QM8 bus along the Horace Harding Expressway service road, to Lower Manhattan. Travel time depends on traffic, but at least it's a more comfortable ride (the cost is $55 a week). Service is rush hour only, though.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:01 PM

Thank for the help thus far. I was originally going to do LIRR then subway but It's just too expensive. My other option I'm thinking right now it to take the Q46 from Union tpke. and Winchester blvd. to Queens blvd and transfer to the E train there. (that's a free transfer, correct?) I'm going to check out the parking situation Monday morning.

The express bus is also an option, but the rush hour thing is good. We can do some 12 hour shifts at UPS.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. I'm open to all options.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:09 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
Are you certain doing a monthly LIRR ticket is too expensive? I just checked and from Douglaston to Penn station is $134 a month. It may sound like a lot but think of the alternative. I know from experience that finding parking near any of the 4 stations is very tough. On top of that, you are spending time driving, using gas and finding a place to park. Any place you find is mostly likely at least a ten minute walk to the train stop. It's possible if you're running late, you'll end up parking in a spot that gets you a parking ticket which is at least $50. I really think the LIRR is the most viable option for this commute.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:19 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty moose View Post
Thank for the help thus far. I was originally going to do LIRR then subway but It's just too expensive. My other option I'm thinking right now it to take the Q46 from Union tpke. and Winchester blvd. to Queens blvd and transfer to the E train there. (that's a free transfer, correct?) I'm going to check out the parking situation Monday morning.

The express bus is also an option, but the rush hour thing is good. We can do some 12 hour shifts at UPS.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. I'm open to all options.
Yes it is a free transfer from the Q46 bus at Queens Blvd/Union Turnpike to the E train and it is probably your cheapest option.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Are you certain doing a monthly LIRR ticket is too expensive? I just checked and from Douglaston to Penn station is $134 a month.
But then add in $112 / month for the subway ticket

Old 10-27-2014, 04:46 AM

I saw $210 for a monthly LIRR pass. Even from Douglaston to Woodside was $210 for LIRR.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,095 times
so did you try to take Q46 from Winchester blvd on Union Turnpike to Kew Garden for the E train? How is parking at Winchester blvd and how long does it take on the bus to the subway station. I might have to do the same to commute to the city. Advise appreciated. thanks.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:51 PM

515 posts, read 875,865 times
You could also drive into LIC and park at a parking garage and then take the E into Manhattan. There's a couple by Queensboro Plaza. The one I parked at is located at 39-15 29th st LIC, NY 11101. $10 cash for the day or $177/month. (Rates could have changed) Cool guys. And if you street view that address, you'll see the reason why I'm not allowed to park there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City