Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:42 PM

30 posts, read 64,867 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'll just cut to the chase here, the reason why I'm creating this thread (I'm sure there are many like this one, but they're old ones) is because I currently have a job, and I'm wasting my time with it. What I mean is that it's an "on-call job" and things are pretty slow at the moment. I got this job through an aunt of mine (I took it out of desperation, given the current economical situation) and in my opinion, I don't like it very much, but who likes their job, really? lol. Anyway, my point is I need to get a job that'll pay decent money so I'll be able to at least make ends meet while I wait for DCAS to give me the list number for the School Safety Agent exam I took back in May this year. So with any luck, maybe I'll hear from them next month, or next year, who knows.. And, I've tried applying at places from retail stores to the local cable companies (there are not a lot of places in here in my neighborhood or the neighboring neighborhoods that have open positions) and I wish I could make the process fast and easier, but does anyone have any suggestion on what else should I do? I've also tried looking in the field I'm in, but nothing unless you have 2+ years experience and a whole bunch of degrees/licenses on your wall. I know it sounds like I'm desperate, but I really don't wanna spend another 2-3 years scrapping by like I've been doing before I got this job. Plus, I'm losing money when things get slow like this. I hope that made sense, and any input from anyone would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 04:07 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
The things I've got to work is to apply to everything or know someone. I've held a job since high school senior year that way, each time being a monumental jump in terms of what the job was for the most part.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:37 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
If you don't have a college degree and live in NYC the best way to make a "living wage" is to join one of the electrician or plumbing unions and go through the ropes of being an "apprentice" and move up.

You'll still be living in da Bronx or far out Queens, but you'll live a pretty good life.

That and each morning you can go to your local cart and order a "budda roll with a cawfee no suga..."

Old 10-29-2014, 06:11 PM

Alright, guys thanks.. and @WhyRUMad, I do have a college degree.. Two, actually. Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck in the field that I studied in, due to the fact that I pretty much don't know anyone that can put in a good word for me. So much for someone who was born and raised here, huh. I guess I'll keep applying to whatever I can come across... *fingers crossed*

Old 10-29-2014, 06:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSaibot View Post
Alright, guys thanks.. and @WhyRUMad, I do have a college degree.. Two, actually. Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck in the field that I studied in, due to the fact that I pretty much don't know anyone that can put in a good word for me. So much for someone who was born and raised here, huh. I guess I'll keep applying to whatever I can come across... *fingers crossed*
Got get a master's or try your luck at an ivy league. Employers see these degrees they go crazy to hire you.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:52 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
I feel your pain. The problem with NYC is that whenever a job is hiring, they recieve a very large amount of applications and probably interview over 100 people so the chances of getting selected for a decent job are very low. Unfortunately I don't have any "close" friends that can hook me up with a job, which I feel is the only way to get a decent job in the city nowadays.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:28 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSaibot View Post

What field? Do you actually have any experience in your field? I've never gotten a job in any of my fields by knowing someone.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
What field? Do you actually have any experience in your field? I've never gotten a job in any of my fields by knowing someone.
I studied Automotive. And not technically, but I'm familiarized with it well enough to perform.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I feel your pain. The problem with NYC is that whenever a job is hiring, they recieve a very large amount of applications and probably interview over 100 people so the chances of getting selected for a decent job are very low. Unfortunately I don't have any "close" friends that can hook me up with a job, which I feel is the only way to get a decent job in the city nowadays.
Yeah I know how it feels to not have much of a network. It sucks.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:38 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Apprentice to a union trade. There are many more than the plumbers and electricians to choose from:

laborers, carpenters, streamfitters, boilermakers, millwrights, teamsters, dockbuilders, stone derrickmen, concrete laborers, masons, terrazo and tile workers, glaziers, operating engineers, roofers, painters, insulators...that's just a handful off the top of my head. Most of these trades have minority and female quotas as well, although that's a hidden secret. Do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: