Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:30 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The problem is A) the bus frequency nosedives late at night on many routes, B) You have to see how well the route on/near your block connects to the subway system, your route might have inconvenient connections to the trains (like not really stopping at the subway stop but a few blocks away, or connecting to a line that makes your subway commute harder)
Plus an innocent bystander got shot dead on a bus earlier this year around there. Don't recall if it was on the 38 or the 52.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 06:47 AM

35 posts, read 155,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
You're one minute walk from the B-38 bus stop at DeKalb and Lewis Ave.

One solutiion if you don't like the nighttime subway walks is to get familiar with the buslines. They're bright. The driver's in the same car always. They stop much closer to your door than the subways. I use them at night a lot.

There's an app now covering Bkln and Queens that tells you exactly when the next bus is coming, in real time not just the schedule on the books. I use "Moovit" but there may be other, better apps.

If you travel after 10 p.m by bus and ask the driver to stop anywhere on his route between two stops, as long as the driver considers it safe traffic-wise, he'll make the special stop for you. I've never done that, but saw it announced in neon on a bus one night.

In rougher parts of Brooklyn, study MTA routes and Hopstop, not just the subway lines. Get familiar with buses. Or you might decide you'd rather bus south to use the Express A or C subway line at Utica and Fulton, which is a busy station.

When you transfer from bus to subway (or sub-to-bus), use the same ticket/fare; costs no extra.
Very helpful! Thank you, i'll look into the app and be prepared.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Ok I just looked at some of your other posts. You're gluten free and big on Trader Joes...I'd say this part of Bed Stuy is not for you. Not saying you'd get mugged but you're not going to be comfortable in the area. As others have pointed out, Bed Stuy to the south and west would be more comfortable.
LOL,

trader joes is garbage. And being gluten free and gay, actually, shouldn't really define my safety requirements from one person to the next.

Still, i take responsibility for kind of jumping on this apartment a little too fast. Good thing i haven't signed a lease yet and merely a deposit agreement. Unfortunately paid first months rent via paypal....

Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 AM

34 posts, read 59,066 times
I live in the area; it's changing overall. You have your pockets of housing complexes but I mean, it truly depends on what you are looking for; is it affordable rent. But then again, no area is safe, I wouldn't walk anywhere in the night, even in a so called "nice" area.

On Lewis Avenue, going towards Fulton, there are a coupe of lounges and a restaurant called Peaches, its at the corner of Halsey. pretty decent spot. I think it's better to walk around the area to get a feel for it and go with your gut. If you feel it's not right for you, then check out downtown Brooklyn, like Clinton Hill or Boerum Hill.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgiardi View Post
LOL,

trader joes is garbage. And being gluten free and gay, actually, shouldn't really define my safety requirements from one person to the next.

Still, i take responsibility for kind of jumping on this apartment a little too fast. Good thing i haven't signed a lease yet and merely a deposit agreement. Unfortunately paid first months rent via paypal....
She wasn't referring to safety, she was pointing out that certain amenities that you need are not available in the area. That part of Bed-Stuy doesn't really have any supermarkets or eateries that cater to those with gluten-free diets. You can get all the Crown Fried chicken, Chinese food, and beer you want, but it's going to be hard to find that Honest Abe's iced tea.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-04-2014, 08:14 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgiardi View Post
LOL,

Ha true! Everyone does have the right to a safe neighborhood regardless of food allergies or orientation. I was making more of a blanket statement about people now a days that are part of the gluten free "trend" ( I'm totally guilty of that but to be fair, gluten makes me bloated) and the areas that they feel comfortable in. Comfort and safety are not necessarily the same thing.

On my way to work this morning I passed a sign for a totally renovated 4 bedroom apt on Bedford ave (the safer part). I think it was $3500 which isn't bad if you have the roommates to fill it. Good luck finding a better place.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:03 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Kind of a hike, but on Patchen down by Halsey there is an organic market.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
not very white. you might be very lonely.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:43 PM

379 posts, read 517,757 times
Do yourself a big favor and stay away from that area. Those projects (Roosevelt) is vertical "sh*t", and 303 Vernon a couple of blocks north, is 30 stories of "sh*t". Until those projects are gone, Roosevelt, Marcy, Tompkins etc.., that neighborhood will never be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City