Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:09 PM

544 posts, read 1,528,159 times

Advertisements

News says someone was killed by the #1 train at west 79 street. Anyone here was there around that time (this morning 10-11am).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
I was on the train that ran the person over. I was searching to see if there has been an update whether ruled as accident or suicide, although it looked like a suicide from my perspective because when the cops asked was anyone around to see what happened there was noone. The train didnt even pull up to the station completely. Everyone had to walk to the first car where the only doors for an exit was. It seems like the person layed on the tracks towards the end of tunnel until a train pulled up. I just can't figure out how nobody saw him/her do that. Its very devastating. I wish there was something we can do prevent people from taking their own lives away. I pray to God to keep his/her soul.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 PM

I'm so sorry to hear you were on that train. I read that it's a 40 year old woman, and there was a separate accident today by another subway train where another woman committed suicide by jumping in front of the train. Something must be done to prevent such.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:45 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
You cannot prevent suicide.
If someone really want to kill himself, he will.

If society allowed the dispensing of the proper amount of barbiturates to those asking for it, suicides wouldn't have to be the gruesome horror of jumping in front of a train or from a 40th story window...or waving a plastic gun in front of a cop.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:19 AM

43,754 posts, read 44,521,335 times
I thought I read somewhere that 2 people had been killed in 2 separate incidents.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,073,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous2014 View Post
I was on the train that ran the person over. I was searching to see if there has been an update whether ruled as accident or suicide, although it looked like a suicide from my perspective because when the cops asked was anyone around to see what happened there was noone. The train didnt even pull up to the station completely. Everyone had to walk to the first car where the only doors for an exit was. It seems like the person layed on the tracks towards the end of tunnel until a train pulled up. I just can't figure out how nobody saw him/her do that. Its very devastating. I wish there was something we can do prevent people from taking their own lives away. I pray to God to keep his/her soul.
According to my friend who drives a train for the the trains authority. Around this time of year plenty of suicides happen and one of the way to that for some is to jump in front of a train!.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,994,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You cannot prevent suicide.
If someone really want to kill himself, he will.

If society allowed the dispensing of the proper amount of barbiturates to those asking for it, suicides wouldn't have to be the gruesome horror of jumping in front of a train or from a 40th story window...or waving a plastic gun in front of a cop.
exactly. there is so many ways to kill oneself, prevention of suicidal means is not the community's job. a glorified way of suicide for anyone, imho, is to wander in ghettos to bait for murderous ghetto thugs to kill, then the society will have a justified excuse to lock up one more thug.

it is extremely foolish and irresponsible for some to suicide using the already overloaded subway system. imagine how much inconvenience it caused for many commuters today not to mention the economic loss caused by such foolish acts.

no, no pity from me for these foolish and irresponsuble suiciders. there are just many other ways to disappear but he chooses one of the worst ones for everybody else.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:21 PM

What I meant was to prevent subway accident, not necessarily suicide. For example, maybe setting up some rails, etc.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:31 PM

257 posts, read 686,030 times
It's entirely possible to fully separate the platform from the track with platform screen doors, which would not only prevent accidents but make suicide in the subway very hard to do. On top of that they would enable the stations to be air-conditioned. Naturally, the NYC Subway will never have these doors on a large scale due to several factors, including cost. However it's not inconceivable that some stations and/or whole lines would get them in the next 20 to 50 years.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
What I meant was to prevent subway accident, not necessarily suicide. For example, maybe setting up some rails, etc.
That is absolutely removed from even the remotest possibility. Almost as impossible as an instantaneous wormhole connection between boroughs.

It is hard enough to get on and off crowded cars as is, just imagine gates between cars and platforms.

Anyone ever seen a COWCATHER?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City