Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 PM

135 posts, read 514,808 times

Advertisements

How is this area? Anyone know. Doing research for somebody else. Would like to know overall how the area is, what is the good and the bad. What things are nearby such as parks, eateries, etc. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
79th is beautiful on the whole stretch from blvd east to kennedy. From Blvd East to Bergenline, the houses and brick buildings overlook North Hudson park. From Bergenline to Kennedy, there is a really impressive line of single-family homes. There are tons of places to grab something to eat on Bergenline, which is walking distance from anywhere on 79th. It's probably one of the nicest streets in hudson county outside of blvd east, hoboken and downtown jc.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:38 PM

24 posts, read 77,704 times
I live on 77th and park and have been here for 3 years. The area is just ok. I moved here from manhattan so it's surburbia for me but it's still sort of like a quiet manhattan street. There is the hudson park at 79th street which is huge and I take my daughter there all the time. Street parking is HORRIBLE. Although you will always find a spot, there are random nights where a key made it's way across all the cars. My lexus just recently was broken into on 78th street and I know of many other random break ins around the area. It is also heavily hispanic populated. Be prepared to pay parking tickets.

Eateries? None really that are good. I LOVE Antonio's Italian food in guttenberg for delivery and It's the only think I like about the area...

I work in Manhattan and the bus sucks. The average bus makes about 30 stops from the tunnel to 79th street and is about 45mins from port authority from all the stops, people paying with 20's, etc... The ferry is ridiculously priced.

To make a long story short, I just bought a house in metuchen and can't wait to get out of that neighborhood...

Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 PM

I live on 77th and park and have been here for 3 years. The area is just ok. I moved here from manhattan so it's surburbia for me but it's still sort of like a quiet manhattan street. There is the hudson park at 79th street which is huge and I take my daughter there all the time. Street parking is HORRIBLE. Although you will always find a spot, there are random nights where a key made it's way across all the cars. My lexus just recently was broken into on 78th street and I know of many other random break ins around the area. It is also heavily hispanic populated. Be prepared to pay parking tickets.

Eateries? None really. All delivery pretty much. I LOVE Antonio's Italian food in guttenberg for delivery. It's the only think I like about the area...

I work in Manhattan and the bus sucks. The average bus makes about 30 stops from the tunnel to 79th street and is about 45mins from port authority from all the stops, people paying with 20's, etc... The ferry is ridiculously priced.

To make a long story short, I just bought a house in metuchen and can't wait to get out of that neighborhood...

Old 06-07-2009, 01:41 PM

Default eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
How is this area? Anyone know. Doing research for somebody else. Would like to know overall how the area is, what is the good and the bad. What things are nearby such as parks, eateries, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Eateries? None really. All delivery pretty much. I LOVE Antonio's Italian food in guttenberg for delivery. It's the only think I like about the area...

Old 06-07-2009, 02:29 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
is your friend trying to bid on that condo at parker imperial too? i decided not to make a bid, but if you can please let me know how much it actually went for, am curious.

as for the area, i went there today it's nice and relaxing but the transportation is a headache especially if you work in downtown jc.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,380 times
North Bergen SUCKS. Its impossable to get out of, there is no parking and they constantly ticket, the commute to NYC is a nightmare, the 128 bus sucks it stops at every block on Blvd East, the people are trashy, if you live in a building you will have rude, loud... neighbors who pile 6-8 people in a 1-2 bedroom. The mayor is ridiculously corrupt and there is nothing suburban about this town. Its loud, they pick up trash ans recycling at 3am all while they have their reverse beeper on as they hoot and holler like its 2pm. I have been here under a year and I cannot wait to leave, this has been a year from hell. Not to mention that I applied for a parking spot a year ago to the tune of $900 a year and have yet to hear back from them. Yet the parking lot behind my building is always half empty. Not to mention... no one here knows how to drive. Cross streets with caution too since no one stops at cross walks or stop signs. North Begen is what hell looks like. Ugly. Dirty. and useless.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-11-2010 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: stereotypical comments

Old 03-12-2010, 07:31 AM

84 posts, read 199,014 times
I lived in the area for many years and recently nearly bought a house just off Boulevard East. I really enjoyed my time there. Obviously, the closer to Boulevard East you are, the better. There are plenty of mid range restaurants there and lots more in neighboring towns. I didn't really see any crime in that part of North Bergen, but it's a big town and the area down near Tonnelle is much more sketchy.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,646 times
North Bergen is nice if you have a lot of patience. If not, little annoying things add up. It is not a dangerous area though. I suspect that this area will attract a lot of young professionals IF municipality understands their survival depends on attracting people to their town but they don't. Status Quo is the name of the game in North Bergen as far as officials are concerned. Most of the offices here seems like spanish is their first language and english a very distant second. One time I went to a city clerk's office to get a paperwork done. The lady showed up almost 20minutes late. First thing she did however was not to open her little window and take care of line of people who's been waiting. No, she just sat down and ate her breakfast and chatted with her co-workers. This is not that Atypical in North Bergen.
Other time I was given a parking ticket with court appearance required. I showed up at the municipal building on the day printed on the summon just to find out they don't open that day. I called the office the next day to re-schedule and to complain. The lady on the phone insisted that she didn't send me the notice. I faxed her the letter and she still said "THEY" didn't send it. I guess "they" like to pull practical jokes. One might say maybe i was unlucky. Perhaps but if I saw line of people when those things happened who were there waiting just like I did, then I don't think it's about luck anymore.
Now when the weather gets warmer, the main drag, which is Bergenline Ave. gets loud. It seems that it's norm for people to get drunk and hang out on the street. But when it seems like it's getting out of hand, cops come and they do come quickly, it seems. As a matter of fact, in the big park you can see cops walking around checking for open containers of alcohols on sunny summer days. I guess that's a good thing that they put a tight lid on that matter.
Garbage pick up people ARE loud. They seem to enjoy making a lot of noises 3AM.
As a home owner, I have to tell the new comers the property tax they charge is almost criminal. After you see how much you pay taxes and lack of progress this "progressive" community makes is just beyond belief.
It is not a very mixed community. It is a very hispanic dominant community with a minute influx of others. If you are NOT hispanic, you are the minority in this community. Not that it has any negative connotations but it is statistically a fact. So if you have a family with a school age children, that's something you should think about. I personally do not venture below 70s as it gets really really hectic and crazy, dirty, etc.
People driving in North Bergen really don't follow the same rules as the rest of US. They seem to have their own driving/traffic laws. So it is true that you have to be careful to cross the street, etc. Be prepare to be very patient to drive around north bergen, especially if you are stuck behind those crazy ragged mini buses.
To make the long laundry list of things short, If your main interest is to have an affordable homes that are very close to the city and you don't have to worry about parking like in the city, North Bergen is a very good alternative to other surrounding north jersey community. If you are people with high expectations with enough income to support them, then there are much better places around, like new developments in West New York by the water or Hoboken, Edgewater, etc but be prepared to pay the price.
On a good note however things are changing, slowly but changing nonetheless. There are a few very nice restaurants with different cousines, Thai, Turkish, Lebanese, etc. And they are walking distance in and around 70s St. Also if you have a car and I think it's essential to have one, there are much better places to spend time down by River Rd in Edgewater, which is less than 5min drive from North Bergen.
After living here for a few years, I would most definitely not put down roots in North Bergen.
BTW whoever said North Bergen is a big city...no, it is not a big city. Really really not. But I agree with that Boulevard East and up to Bergenline is remarkably better then Bergenline onward toward Tonnelle. Drastically different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey