Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 01:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
With the exception of a few, most center to right leaning posters here seem to be middle class and/or possess some property in the city since they complain about high taxes and occasionally mention about their homes/properties. And we know that's already a minority in the city. So you can assume that it's not representative of the actual population in a city where the average family is struggling economically. On the other end of the spectrum you have those struggling looking for freebies and thus higher resultant taxes on those already paying for their services.

Are you certain that's correct - that only a minority possess some property or are middle class? I somehow down that. Anyway, I lean left but suppose that I'm middle class, own some property, and complain about property taxes. I only started complaining about property taxes when they sky-rocketed under Bloomberg, as far as I can tell, and my gripe isn't so personal as much as seeing what it's doing overall.

As to King's comment that "Neo-fascists are just a lot noisier," I'd say instead that most often these days right-leaning posters seem not to be fact-based, and thus are impervious to reason, so sometimes I don't bother replying because it's just wasted effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 02:30 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Case in point IIRC sons of both former DSNY and FDNY commissioners got into a world of trouble for posting "objectionable" opinions online.

Fire Commish son Joseph Cassano quits EMS in wake of racist tweets firestorm - NY Daily News

Men have to walk a very tight line especially at work when it comes to saying *anything* about females. Just one comment overheard or even rumored back to a woman and suddenly the guy is being sat down for a talk about "sexual harassment".

Old 11-29-2014, 12:14 AM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
I get more of a sense of hard-ass libertarianism here than I do of heartland conservatism, which is economically quite moderate. There's an idea of 'you're always the architect of your own failure' floating around this NYC board.

(Incidentally, that's a philosophy to which I'm vehemently opposed.)

Old 11-29-2014, 01:08 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Well, look at the brightside, At least we're not living under shariah law.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Do republican/conservative views/rants have to equal neo-fascists?

I always advocated for welfare systems prior to coming to NYC, where I found myself to be a big loser to the system to my uttermost shock . Here is an outrageous example among many others, which involves standard of living comparisons between myself and a colleague of mine relative to our education/skill sets/incomes. So my colleague has no college education, works an entry level union job, and makes ~1/4 of what I make. I, on the other hand, possess one of the most advanced degrees on the planet earth with a whole package of high end skill sets who work 50+ hrs/week on average, while my colleague works 40 hrs/week on paper (including office chat and social hours). My English is imperfect but surely more advanced than hers. Based on these simple facts, one would believe that I would be a winner when it comes to better livings measured by location and commute time. Reality is that she lives in a 2 BR apt in downtown manhattan thanks to the low income housing projects, whereas I had to settle in a dim looking inconvenient neighborhood in bklyn that adds 12.5 extra hrs/week commuting time to my already extended working period. Because of her income status, her children went to colleges with free or deeply discounted tuitions, whereas I have to start saving for my kid's college from now on because I know that my income will be marginally exceeding the income limit for tuition compensation. Even after both of her children graduated college and being their own, she got to cling on to her subsidized 2 br apt where her children could live at home for free while they make decent money.

So yes, from my own experience, I figured out the welfare system in NYC is poorly designed in such a way that I and some other working middle class work hard only to make life easier for those less qualified and under skilled individuals. This is not the model welfare system that I learned in the text book so I hesitate or refuse to endorse it anymore. Does that make me a republican or a conservative individual? I do not think so because I still believe in a civilized society where everyone should look after everyone else in a fairer way than what how it is now in NYC welfare system.
That's not just a case of welfare subsidies. She was established in New York. I've known people who were teachers who bought in neighborhoods that were hood in the 80s and 90s that are now gentrified. Unless you come to NY rich, it's hard to compete with those already established here.

But if you really want that convenient Manhattan location, you just have to earn a lot more money. No need being jealous of someone who lives in the housing projects. I would not want to live in any housing project even for free rent. You get what you pay for, and the projects are full of crappy people.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's not just a case of welfare subsidies. She was established in New York. I've known people who were teachers who bought in neighborhoods that were hood in the 80s and 90s that are now gentrified. Unless you come to NY rich, it's hard to compete with those already established here.

But if you really want that convenient Manhattan location, you just have to earn a lot more money. No need being jealous of someone who lives in the housing projects. I would not want to live in any housing project even for free rent. You get what you pay for, and the projects are full of crappy people.
Yeah seriously - I don't get why people think people who live in the projects have it so good. Take it from somebody who spends a lot of time there - that's no place to live. Sure they pay cheap rent, but they pay a high price when it comes to QOL.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-30-2014, 12:16 AM

237 posts, read 482,545 times
The politics of the NYC city-data forum are basically the complete opposite of the politics you'll encounter when you're actually in NYC.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 AM

5,123 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
The politics of the NYC city-data forum are basically the complete opposite of the politics you'll encounter when you're actually in NYC.
That is an implicated fact, but please explain why that is.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:50 AM

5,123 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

How about those 20/80 buildings for low incomes? they cannot be that crappy given the other 80%.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:17 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah seriously - I don't get why people think people who live in the projects have it so good. Take it from somebody who spends a lot of time there - that's no place to live. Sure they pay cheap rent, but they pay a high price when it comes to QOL.
I think it is really just the waterfront locations that us middle and working class folks are so jealous of. All along the east river in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens has become financially out of reach for many hard working families, yet not for those on public assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City