Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:16 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times

Advertisements

People in NYC are generally not that relaxed but I think Hoboken is a little more of a college/friendly scene. NYC is not Houston, people are nice once you get to know them, but really busy and not as quick to start chatting with strangers. Hey y'all is not really the way. Not to discourage you since it's a great place and people here are amazing once you know some, but the vibe is different and more intense here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM

957 posts, read 3,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgastelum07 View Post
I may have a job opportunity that would take me to New York. I will be a year removed from college; having 60% of my debt paid off. Furthermore, the job would be a big opportunity to advance. However, New York is has a very different culture and pace than any other place I have been. I lived most of my life in Houston, TX and went to college in Oklahoma to play football. I am planning on taking a trip to visit. Some other cities I have been looking at are Los Angeles, CA, Dallas, TX, Houston, TX, Chicago, IL, and San Diego, CA. Wherever I choose I will be making at least $85K/yr. I prefer a warm sunny city but I am open to the north. How are the people? I want a social scene that allows me to meet tons of people. I am also very active and want a neighborhood with a gym or health club. What can I expect for rent? Would $1700-$2000/month be enough to get a nice apt. in the city? Tell me what you think of New York compared to these other cities, if you know enough to compare any of them. Thank in advance for your input.
If you want warm and sunny, but not too hot and a beautiful area, I highly recommend San Diego. It's my other fave city besides NYC. It's absolutely gorgeous, but I find the people more snooty than NY-although I haven't met all of them. The other downside is while the cost of living is very high, you will need a car unlike in NYC where the public transportation in my opinion is great. I think though at upwards of $2000 a month, you'll be fine in either city.

Now Dallas and Houston are cool and there are lots of things to do and for what you're willing to pay in rent, you could get a huge, great apartment or even house. In TX cost of living is pretty cheap considering there's an over abundance of land, however, it's not nearly as great as NYC. There is culture and arts there, but it's just not the same. Also, there are no real seasons. It's pretty much hot and humid as hell for about 4-5 months out of the year, and there's not much of a winter-which may sound fine to you, but it gets old. For example, in live in TX as well and it's Jan. 7 and we have a high of 80 today. Sorry, but to me that's insane.

As I have been to all of those cities you mentioned, and I have lived in TX all my life, my vote has to go to NYC. Best of luck in whichever you choose.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 PM

27 posts, read 98,411 times
I moved to NYC less than one year after graduating from UT Austin, I also lived in Dallas for about 8 years.
It is a big adjustment here and there's nothing to describe that "New York minute" feeling that people talk about.

You really only get it when you are working and living here. I remember just being quite tired for the first six months and not liking it too much...then, something happened and here I am 10 years later and still loving the city.

I know of five people I met here who were also from Texas, they all lasted 3-4 years and are now back in Texas.

I would say if it is going to be good career move for you, take the plunge. It will NEVER look bad to have work experience in NYC on your resume-it speaks volumes. Don't think of this as forever, just as right now.

If you haven't been here, it would be wise to come for a visit first and do look at Hoboken. It sounds like it might suit you very well without the overload of Manhattan.

San Diego is also nice. I went there on vacation.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 PM

44 posts, read 252,078 times
People are people everywhere. You're going to meet mean people and nice people in New York, Chicago, San Diego, everywhere. I've lived in the Midwest, West Coast and now East Coast and New York people are really no different than people elsewhere. Often then think they are really different and special...but in all honestly...they are totally the same as people in other urban areas.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:02 PM

36 posts, read 118,056 times
Thanks very much for the information about the people. You hear so many rumors and stereotyping about places both positive and negative. I have met people from college all over the nation and realize, there are a lot of similarities. Thanks for brining that point out. I am going to be visiting in a few months and I am excited. Living in Houston, I understand the 80 degrees in January and I am fine with it. I was raised on that weather. I prefer the warm cities but as long as the city doesn't have depressing gloomy weather year round then I think I would be just fine. I am easy going. I just want to be able to meet people and have a good network of friends where ever I end up. I am leaning toward Hoboken. I love people and find making friends to be pretty easy. I hope everyone has a great day, thanks again

Old 01-14-2008, 05:45 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,667 times
I would agree with everyone else who recommended Hoboken. VERY post college crowd, cheaper than Manhattan, easy access to the city. If I'm not mistaken Washington St. in Hoboken has the most bar density of any street in the US. Hoboken is a great place for post college living. You may also find a similar crowd on parts of the Upper East Side.

In my opinion people in New York are generally very courteous. They may not go out of their way to say hello to you on the street but I think the "rude New Yorker" is just a stereotype.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelher View Post
I moved to NYC less than one year after graduating from UT Austin, I also lived in Dallas for about 8 years.
It is a big adjustment here and there's nothing to describe that "New York minute" feeling that people talk about.

You really only get it when you are working and living here. I remember just being quite tired for the first six months and not liking it too much...then, something happened and here I am 10 years later and still loving the city.

I know of five people I met here who were also from Texas, they all lasted 3-4 years and are now back in Texas.
Out of curiosity, what brought them back to TX?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City