Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 06:01 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

It was my impression that speed limit cameras were only authorized for school zones. I saw new signs on Queens Boulevard that had the new speed limit of 25 mph and on the bottom of the sign it said "photo enforced". These signs were not near any schools. Anyone know if speed cameras are allowed everywhere in NYC, not just near schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 06:21 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I don't know about "everywhere" but I know that both speed and restricted bus lane rules are enforced by camera on Pelham Parkway. It's probably allowed at least on "major thoroughfares".

Not really sure what you mean by "allowed" anyway.I assume they can put them almost anywhere they want.I don't think they have to get permission from anyone.
I have always assumed that eventually they will be everywhere and that people will just get tickets for everything in the mail, freeing cops to do more important things than stopping people for speeding,using restricted lanes or running red lights.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't know about "everywhere" but I know that both speed and restricted bus lane rules are enforced by camera on Pelham Parkway. It's probably allowed at least on "major thoroughfares".

Not really sure what you mean by "allowed" anyway.I assume they can put them almost anywhere they want.I don't think they have to get permission from anyone.
I have always assumed that eventually they will be everywhere and that people will just get tickets for everything in the mail, freeing cops to do more important things than stopping people for speeding,using restricted lanes or running red lights.
By "allowed" I mean does the law allow NYC to put speed cameras in non-school zones. A cursory search seems to indicate a state law allows for the placement of a certain number in school zones. There is no mention of non-school zones. Here's one link:

Legislation - Vision Zero

Old 12-27-2014, 07:00 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I would guess that it doesn't matter because already there are quite obviously camera enforced areas all over the city.I have seen the signs in various areas of every borough that are not anywhere near any school zones.I guess maybe if you get a ticket you could try to fight it by claiming the camera was illegally placed but I haven't heard of anyone doing that.

The cameras are unbelievably good by the way. A friend got tickets in the mail for running a red light and an expired inspection sticker. The cameras have such detail that you not only see the license plate but the face of the driver and the registration and inspection stickers on the windshield.

Perhaps the State has tried to maintain some kind of authority over the speed cameras but has no authority over red light and restricted lane cameras ? What difference does it make? The technology is very good and eventually they will be everywhere.Eventually it will make the streets much safer for everyone and it's a great revenue stream.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-27-2014 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 08:22 AM

So the ticket came with a close-up photo of the inspection certificate? The speed cameras I've seen are aimed at the rear of cars. It could be that they looked up the plate and found there was no current inspection certificate number on file with the DMV. If your friend indeed got a picture of the expired sticker that is impressive.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I go under the assumption that every inch of NYC is bugged. With that assumption I am sure I won't be far wrong and eventually I'll be 100% right.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:16 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
So the ticket came with a close-up photo of the inspection certificate? The speed cameras I've seen are aimed at the rear of cars. It could be that they looked up the plate and found there was no current inspection certificate number on file with the DMV. If your friend indeed got a picture of the expired sticker that is impressive.
Linky:

Real Tickets - Red Light Cameras

Red-light running senator wants AZ camera law changed - CBS 5 - KPHO

Old 01-02-2015, 07:25 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,533 times
NYC needs extra $$$. City hall is looking for a few bad drivers for mandatory donations. If every one stops smoking, stops alcohol drinking, and obeys all traffic rules, sales and property tax will be double.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:17 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

The cameras are unbelievably good by the way. A friend got tickets in the mail for running a red light and an expired inspection sticker. The cameras have such detail that you not only see the license plate but the face of the driver and the registration and inspection stickers on the windshield.
Does that mean if the driver isn't the owner of the car, the ticket goes to the driver for running a red light rather than the registered owner?

I have seen at least one camera on Queens Blvd from the beginning of last year which is nowhere near a school zone and I never thought those cameras were restricted only to school zones.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:37 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Does that mean if the driver isn't the owner of the car, the ticket goes to the driver for running a red light rather than the registered owner?

No, it goes to the registered owner(s).

Quote:
New York treats red light camera violations like parking citations, making registered owners responsible without regard to who was driving when the camera snapped the photo.
Fighting a Red Light Camera Traffic Ticket | Nolo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: