Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 09:30 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times

Advertisements

Years ago, the Supreme Court distinguished between secular Christmas symbols (among which they included a Christmas tree) versus religious symbols (which they pointed to as a Nativity scene depicting the Holy Family).

As a national holiday, they ruled it fine to put up a secular Christmas symbol, but not a religious one, on any public land.

I think there's a pretty good case that the Menorah is equivalent to a national symbol among Jewish people. You'll find it on the state seal of modern Israel, on the building of their national legislature, etc. I haven't followed the recent court cases in the U.S. but my guess is the Hassidim have won that battle in court, as public Menorahs are all over the place on public land in NYC and nationwide, with nobody arrested. (Grand Army Plaza, for example).

So, disregarding your thread title, your real complaint is with aggressive shout-outs by individuals promoting their faith. Unless you want to also silence all the guys shouting for Jesus and handing out literature in public subway stations and sidewalks, I think you'll have to just put up with noisy Hassidim.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 12-25-2014 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 09:58 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
That's because the word Hanukkah doesn't contain the word christ. It is the reference to christ that some people are offended by and find objectionable.
first world problem. who knew some NYers had such thin skin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: