Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:26 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
No, not loudly enough. In many ways we gave ourselves this stereo type. I think Shows like Mob Wives and Jersey Shore are despicable and give Italians and Staten Islanders a bad rap. Can you imagine the out rage of there was a Jewish Jersey shore or a Black version of Mob Wives staring the baby mommas of gang members. The out rage would reach Washington D.C.
Get on it then, Thomas. Just get on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
You are wrong. We live in a society where it has ok to portray Italians as dumb, uneducated mobsters. Anything negative portrayed about blacks on TV would have Sharpton boycotting the network and screaming racism and bigotry.
I can think of a lot of other groups that get a bad rap because of the actions of some (sub cultures) in their groups. Italians are no different.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I don't agree with everything you are saying but I understand where it's coming from.
I don't need any accolades from you. I speak from life experiences. It is what it is. I stated facts and offered a suggestion on what could be done about your complaint.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Really? I had no idea.
Do you feel better now? Also they have Honey Boo Boo, They have Greeks on reality tv; Blacks on reality tv and let's not forget the "situation." It's entertainment. If you find that Italians are stereotyped in a manner that you don't find becoming do something about it.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:37 PM

Cons

1. Unless you live steps from the Ferry terminal, or want to drive, the commute to Manhattan is a nuisance. If you work anywhere other than the lower tip of Manhattan, its doubly so. The drive at peak hours is impossibly traffic-laden and expensive at any hour. I HATED IT.

2. If you are commuting by express bus from the south shore through NJ, be prepared to spend a lot of time commuting and be prepared to leave the city before the "last bus" which is earlier than you'll want it to be, at least some of the time

3. You will need to have a car for many or most of the neighborhoods. True!

4. If you care about "all NY has to offer" there is less of it here.

5. I refuse to believe the area around the old Fresh Kills landfill is environmentally safe, no matter what they say. When the dump was still open, you could smell it on both sides (depending on the wind), as far as the mall, and well into the Huguenot area. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they find groudn water and air contamination in those areas years down the road.

6. I have met more people who live on SI that spend all their time in their own borough than any other. Hardly scientific, but I think there is something to it since leaving can be more complicated, particularly if you are too young to drive, or don't have access to a car. Therefore It is possible to be less aware of things outside your immediate environment until you are older. Admittedly the Internet has probably helped this int he time since I left.

7. If you are out late in Manhattan, and you want to get home to any other borough, a cab is an expensive but not out-of-reach choice in a pinch. If you live on SI it is a much more expensive option, and you will have hard time finding anyone who wants to drive out there even if you are willing to spend the money

I personally did not enjoy it there. I don't drive so i felt kind of marooned. It was too suburban for me. As it is less populous than the other boroughs and more family-focused i found it harder to meet people to connect with who were close to my age, and weren't there to raise children. However, if you thrive in that kind of environment, it could be a very pleasant place to live.[/quote]

Old 01-04-2015, 09:57 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Man this Ernie is just plain irritating.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Man this Ernie is just plain irritating.
You'll be ok. You likely prefer your viewers to be dumb. Sorry to disappoint you.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:22 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
No, not loudly enough. In many ways we gave ourselves this stereo type. I think Shows like Mob Wives and Jersey Shore are despicable and give Italians and Staten Islanders a bad rap. Can you imagine the out rage of there was a Jewish Jersey shore or a Black version of Mob Wives staring the baby mommas of gang members. The out rage would reach Washington D.C.
Guess you haven't heard of basketball wives. There are plenty of stereotypical shows.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:37 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Guess you haven't heard of basketball wives. There are plenty of stereotypical shows.
The funny thing about Basketball Wives being that nobody on the cast are actually married to a NBA player. Mostly ex-wives and ex-girlfriends.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:10 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
I don't need any accolades from you. I speak from life experiences. It is what it is. I stated facts and offered a suggestion on what could be done about your complaint.
Don't worry you won't get any more from me with that attitude. Frankly you come off bitter and feeling sorry for yourself. It must be nice to be a women and play the sexist card when things don't go your way. Same as another group of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City