Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:55 PM

31 posts, read 43,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
My friend had so much evidence. He had emails, photos, the lease and papers attached with the lease confirming certain things. He even had receipts. Anyways, so my friend went to housing court, and the management company's sleazy lawyer dropped the charges. It didn't even make it to the judge.

It's sad, but it seems like you had all these instances happen and a chance to record or take photos of evidence and now it's your word against his.

What exactly do you want?
Did you move out yet?
Do you want the landlord to suffer?
Do you want money?
How long have you lived in America after you left Russia?

And i wish people would stop saying regulated apartment. Every apartment is regulated, so just stop saying ridiculous terms that mean nothing!
Sorry about your friend.

As for the questions, just curious, did you even read the thread? There are answers almost to every question you asked.

What exactly do you want?
I sent 100$ less payment for the previous month (1400$ instead of 1500$). I just decided to do it by myself.

Did you move out yet?
The answer is in the first post: "We are going to move out in 3 months"

Do you want the landlord to suffer?
Of course. I suffered from Wed-Sat, including whole Thanksigivng, without a chance to leave the apartment. I had to skip my job on Friday and Monday. Friday - because of the clogged drain. Monday - fire in the building.

Do you want money?
Initially I just wanted to return 100$ which I spent on a snake+a few liquids to unclog the drain. But then I couldn't go to work for 2 days (16 hours) + moral damages.

How long have you lived in America after you left Russia?
I never said that I came from Russia, but still, the answer was above: "I moved to NY less than 2 years ago and not a resident of US. Have no idea what are the laws"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 08:04 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,022 times
You can always stay 1 or 2 months for free, don't pay, and secretly leave and move out. He might chase you and he might not.

But if everything you say is true and he knows it, he might not come after you because it'll make him look bad in court to even try and lie about what you have been through. Stay for free for 2 months and you just got back $3,000.00 for not paying for 2 months.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
You can always stay 1 or 2 months for free, don't pay, and secretly leave and move out. He might chase you and he might not.

But if everything you say is true and he knows it, he might not come after you because it'll make him look bad in court to even try and lie about what you have been through. Stay for free for 2 months and you just got back $3,000.00 for not paying for 2 months.
Have you ever done anything similar or heard any successful stories when tenant behaved like that? One of my friends advised to do the same, actually. Not sure.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:27 PM

My friend who was just in housing court did that. He returned the keys and told them he's moving out of NYC for his job and they pretended he still lives there. They took him to court for not paying for 2 months, but he showed up and they dropped it because they knew it was not worth fighting. They were surprised he even showed up in court because they were playing a game to scare him and he called their bluff.

Also consider that his management co is a large comlany and they have $ to waste and that's why they brought him to court. If your landlord is 1 person or a small company, they won't chase you because it's not worth their time or money. It's easier for them to trick someone else and just get the place rented after you disappear. Most landlords don't go to court because it's a waste of time and money for everyone. If you owe $10,000.00 or higher he might chase after you because that is a decent amount of money.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:27 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
What borough is this?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2014, 08:34 PM

Brooklyn, Bay Ridge

Old 12-29-2014, 08:37 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooli0 View Post
Have you ever done anything similar or heard any successful stories when tenant behaved like that? One of my friends advised to do the same, actually. Not sure.
You are ready to walk out over a bad few days? Are you sure you weren't born here?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:41 PM

The bed bugs should be reason enough and now he has to throw everything out in the event there's a bed bug baby in between the furniture and he takes it to his new apartment. Then all his new neighbors will be subjected to hell!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
The bed bugs should be reason enough and now he has to throw everything out in the event there's a bed bug baby in between the furniture and he takes it to his new apartment. Then all his new neighbors will be subjected to hell!
I read it as the bed bugs were more likely something else because they're not mentioned anywhere but that one line. They're not even mentioned in the clarification post explaining why the OP thinks the landlord should suffer. Also the OP could easily take photos of bed bugs if they are there for evidence.

Don't get me wrong I'm anti slumlord but I'm also anti clogging the corts with frivolous lawsuits.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:09 PM

I have to agree with Spazkat9696 about the bed bugs. I noticed the bites in the Friday morning, but that was a one-time thing only. Haven't had any more bites after. So it was more like another annoyance to a mess. Me and my wife were trying to find any evidence of bud bugs, but no luck. Everything is clean :-/

Last edited by cooli0; 12-29-2014 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City