Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 3,520 times

Advertisements

Good morning America!
My name is Roberto,i'm 24 and i live in milan.
i and the my girlfriend we want to move to new york because the situation in italy is difficult and there is no future for young people at the time.
We asked some people who have been to new york but all they told us that it is difficult to live in america because they need a green card to work.
Is really impossible? My girlfriend has a degree in educational science,has a lot experience with children and now works in a coffe shop italian,i am a mechanic but i can do any work.
We have a great desire to work and many ideas to create a business italian,i ask help to you!!
Thank you!!

I apologize for the english but i'm studying!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
It is very difficult to get a work permit/visa in the USA. I suggest you look options in other European countries being that Italy is part of the EU.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:21 PM

298 posts, read 707,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It is very difficult to get a work permit/visa in the USA. I suggest you look options in other European countries being that Italy is part of the EU.
Nonsense. He needs to just move here and stay 5 years then he'll be a citizen.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:50 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
Nonsense. He needs to just move here and stay 5 years then he'll be a citizen.

Why in the world would you give such advice??? You have no idea what you're talking about. You can't just "move here and stay 5 years and automatically be a citizen! What is wrong with you that you would tell somebody that????

You have to be a LEGAL resident for 5 years and then you can APPLY for naturalization. Not an easy process and very unlikely to happen in this instance.

I think the OP and his girlfriend need to do some research via the US government websites to find out how to become citizens.

Homepage | USCIS

Old 01-03-2015, 04:58 PM

260 posts, read 434,031 times
You can try the green card lottery (diversity visa). It's very difficult to move to the US unless you have an advanced degree or find a way to get a work visa. Otherwise, it'd be much easier to just move to Germany or another decent EU economy that you can freely migrate to for work.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:06 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto milano View Post
Good morning America!
My name is Roberto,i'm 24 and i live in milan.
i and the my girlfriend we want to move to new york because the situation in italy is difficult and there is no future for young people at the time.
We asked some people who have been to new york but all they told us that it is difficult to live in america because they need a green card to work.
Is really impossible? My girlfriend has a degree in educational science,has a lot experience with children and now works in a coffe shop italian,i am a mechanic but i can do any work.
We have a great desire to work and many ideas to create a business italian,i ask help to you!!
Thank you!!

I apologize for the english but i'm studying!!!
Something can probably be arranged if you travel to Palermo first and talk to the right person.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:21 PM

279 posts, read 521,679 times
So how are so many Irish folks coming here if it's so hard to get work visas here?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
So how are so many Irish folks coming here if it's so hard to get work visas here?
They have a network.The situation with the Irish is like no other because most Irish have aunts and uncles and many first cousins here to help.Many Irish Americans like myself have dual citizenship and many then marry people from Ireland and create another generation of dual citizens with half their family here and half their family there.

And even for the Irish who have no family here there are networks set up to help with jobs and housing,etc. An Irish person coming here to Boston or NY totally cold,knowing no one,could make his or her way to a neighborhood like Woodlawn and make the rounds of the Irish bars,talk to bartenders and patrons and get settled pretty fast.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:36 PM

279 posts, read 521,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
They have a network.The situation with the Irish is like no other because most Irish have aunts and uncles and many first cousins here to help.Many Irish Americans like myself have dual citizenship and many then marry people from Ireland and create another generation of dual citizens with half their family here and half their family there.

And even for the Irish who have no family here there are networks set up to help with jobs and housing,etc.
Don't see how the Irish could have a network that the Italians wouldn't have, as the dual citizenship scenario is common with Italians as well. I know because I am eligible for dual citizenship since my grandparents are from the old country.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the avenue View Post
Don't see how the Irish could have a network that the Italians wouldn't have, as the dual citizenship scenario is common with Italians as well. I know because I am eligible for dual citizenship since my grandparents are from the old country.
No,as the child or grand child of an Italian citizen you are eligible to apply for Italian citizenship only if you either move to Italy and live there for 2 years or if you volunteer to serve in the military. And you ave to go through a process.With the Irish,if you are born to an Irish born parent you are automatically,without any conditions or restrictions,considered an Irish citizen . You are what they call Foreign Born Irish.

It's not the same with other European countries at all.

There can also be a big language obstacle.They want you to speak Italian if you want to become an Italian citizen and the overwhelming majority of Italian Americans cannot converse in Italian.They know a few words or phrases perhaps but that's about it.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-03-2015 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: