Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:15 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,768,785 times

Advertisements

In the immortal words of Baz Lurhmann;

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 AM

5,254 posts, read 3,621,632 times
It is one of the greatest cities in the world & contains all sorts of experiences, & diversions & potential dangers, that would contribute to your education, not the least of which is being exposed to an incredible variety of people. Also the friends you make in school here & possible professional connections you might cultivate could help your future career.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:32 PM

22 posts, read 50,129 times
College is the time to step out of your comfort zone and do something you may not have the opportunity to do again when you're older. Nyc is filled with culture and a complete variety of people. That's why I love nyc. I say go for it.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,583,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver77 View Post
Hi;

I know my question will looks a bit wired... but the reason I'm asking this is that ... because I got a chance to live at NYC as a collage student for 2 years.

Moreover, I also got admission from another university in a cheaper location. So I dont know if it's worth to pay more to experience live in NYC for 2 years.... Is it worth it? or should I save my money and go to cheaper location.

So I would like to hear from New Yorker why do you like NYC? if you do.

Thanks.
NYC has a lot of place you can go to. Within few blocks, you can find all the stuffs that you need to buy. Unlike out of state, you have to drive miles to go get your food and other supply for home. However, foods and supply are not cheap in NYC unless you know where to look for. If you just randomly live in one of the neighborhood, you might found yourself spending lots of money but getting very little done.

NYC is also a place where you can find a lot of local community workshop that you may be able to attend to, thus, you might be able to participate and gain experience and knowledge through those workshop.

Since you are moving to NYC for two year college, my opinion is not to attend NYC because you need to save as much money as possible now. As the workshop, you can get it any college that you attend. Hope this help clarify some of the struggle you have to go through.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:42 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,755,535 times
NYC hasn't been what it used to, the so called diversity is a joke. It's one of the most segregated cities. You have your ghettos and where your insert race areas.

Too many Starbucks and franchise stores that I can easily find outside of NYC. Why fly here just to eat McDonalds and Starbucks which seems like what most tourists only goes to.

Many unique mom pop eats die out due to high rent and too many gimmick Thai, sushi, and burger joints keep popping out that overcharges.

Back then you go to soho to see cool people and things, today it is yuppie it's not even funny. Where's the real uniqueness and diversity?

Old 02-13-2015, 06:17 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,583,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NYC hasn't been what it used to, the so called diversity is a joke. It's one of the most segregated cities. You have your ghettos and where your insert race areas.

Too many Starbucks and franchise stores that I can easily find outside of NYC. Why fly here just to eat McDonalds and Starbucks which seems like what most tourists only goes to.

Many unique mom pop eats die out due to high rent and too many gimmick Thai, sushi, and burger joints keep popping out that overcharges.

Back then you go to soho to see cool people and things, today it is yuppie it's not even funny. Where's the real uniqueness and diversity?
I agree with you. Especially with the realty in NYC, it has been raising rent like crazy just like vision33r said.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:19 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,758,870 times
Bums, rats, filth, that rancid pee smell on a hot summer day, yelling people, barf on the sidewalk, a packed subway, $2,000+ shoebox apartments. What's not to love?

Old 02-14-2015, 01:55 AM

159 posts, read 177,730 times
The dining is pretty good but I would choose Tokyo for best food. That's pretty much it.

Other than that NYC is a bit overrated. Not to mention the weather sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: