Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,886 times

Advertisements

Je Suis Nigeria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 05:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That was THEN

But the NOW is a different story:

I see cause and effect pretty clear here. I think it is logical to assume that absent this military presence and buildup, the recent Paris mess would have been avoided.

That these radicals are monsters is a rather simplistic view, the only view that invaders want to have of those being invaded. It gets us nowhere.
Where were all these senseless attacks BEFORE 1991, when the United States led "coalition," aka the United States invaded Iraq to keep control of corporate petroleum? They did not exist.
So there is cause and effect and as we escalate the seemingly endless conflict, so will they. This is not rocket science any more than the sabotage efforts of the French underground to oppose the Nazi occupation or the Vietnamese sabotage against the invading U.S. armies. That is the way foreign occupations work and what the invader/occupiers must expect as collateral damage.

I will speak very selfishly: I do not want to be blown up in the subway or breathe in poison gas, and to that end I call for the United States to get the Hell out of the Middle East. If Exxon-Mobil wants the oil, let THEM raise their own corporate armies. I really gain absolutely NOTHING by this endless war on Islam. (I think all religions suck equally) and I would hate to pay with my life for the stupidity of others.

But since we the people have no say in what our government does, my request is no better than pyssing into the wind.

Is anyone else old enough to remember when PEACE wasn't a dirty word? I do, but only vaguely. Some time in the '50's I believe.
Except jihadest have killed Hindus in India, and for centuries have waged jihads against non Muslims in Africa. Are Asians and Africans that are attacked by jihadests not people to you? Do they not count?

Also, you're letting your liberal anti Western politics come in. Leftists tend to love anything that antagonizes the West. If the West was such an awful place we would not get immigrants from all around the world. The fact is many Muslims would rather live in the West than an Islamic country, or else they wouldn't come to begin with. Those who cannot adapt to living in the West are welcome to return home to their part of the world.

Terrorists are stupid. They claim to speak for whole religions/ethnicities, but how does killing a few journalists make the French government or military change policies. It won't, it made the survivors of the terrorist attack heroes and life goes on in the West and in France. Now the French government is free to hunt down Muslims in France who go too far in criticizing the French government, and hunt down they will.

Oh, sales of Charlie Hebdo have skyrocketed in France and around the world.

Btw, homosexuals are stoned to death in Muslim countries, and the jihadists would cut your head off for being an adulterous gay man. You're out of your mind to defend them.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:05 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Re: 'Leftists tend to love anything that antagonizes the West"

For sure. And amazes to see their lack of clarity as they oppose the 'big bad West' and whatever it stands for. The inanity in their position is stunning and stupid in the sense that if we take a look at Islamic extremists shooting rifles and throwing grenades and generating murder and mayhem , the left's knee-jerk dislike and hatred of America appears to have them slinking along and turning a blind eye to the abject authoritarianism in the radicals' behavior. It would seem leftists are not only stupid but really show a great inability for judgement in just worrying about throwing planks into Anerica's eye.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:15 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
I don't support terrorists or racist cartoonists.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Islam isn't a race. Its a set of voluntary beliefs.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:54 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Although I expect that there will be another terrorist attack in NYC, I doubt it will be because of cartoons such as the ones that triggered the attack in Paris being that we are so politically correct in this country.
I have to agree with this. Surely they weren't so naïve as to think this wouldn't eventually come back to bite them in the ass? They kind of had it coming to them. Is it right? No. But these are terrorists we are talking about.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Amen.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Islam isn't a race. Its a set of voluntary beliefs.
You don't comprehend English context very well.

smh

Old 01-14-2015, 01:49 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
You don't comprehend English context very well.

smh
well thank you for your head-shaking condescension.

But diluting the term "racism" like you have confuses people.

Criticizing or lampooning someone for what they have no control over, and never had any control over, be it race, disability or gender is reprehensible.

Criticizing or lampooning someone for some voluntary belief they've chosen to hold dear (whether it be an animist religious belief which promotes female genital mutilation, a belief that one most cover one's head due to God hovering above, Christianity, veganism, eating meat.... whatever those beliefs are) is entirely different. The believers claiming their beliefs to be above-criticism notwithstanding.

Its a voluntary belief, whatever it is, end of story. Equating the two simply makes racism a lesser thing.

Last edited by bg7; 01-14-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
well thank you for your head-shaking condescension.

But diluting the term "racism" like you have confuses people.

Its a voluntary belief, whatever it is, end of story. Equating the two simply makes racism a lesser thing.

Sorry if I offended you, but it seems like your mr. Charlie was a little bit of both to me, anti-islamic/anti-arab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City