Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,198 times

Advertisements

Do you think Manhattan theaters will ever catch on or they lose money by getting new seats which eliminates more seats and more ticket sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
I feel like they would need to renovate / put new seating in if they were to do assigned seating. There are pros and cons but I think it's a good idea.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:33 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,198 times
I think it's a good idea too.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:16 PM

109 posts, read 195,959 times
AMC Fresh Meadows has reclining lounge chairs and assigned seats. I read there's one on the upper west side too

Old 01-24-2015, 07:50 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
In Montreal, Oslo, Coppenhagen theres a few, havent heard of one here in NYC though.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:11 AM

217 posts, read 681,054 times
The IMAX at the AMC in the UWS has assigned seating. I don't go to a ton of movies, so I'm happy to pay a premium IMAX because I know I can get a good seat with ample legroom so I'm less likely to get kicked from behind the whole movie.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:43 AM

5,214 posts, read 6,147,251 times
My daughters have reached the age to start enjoying (and behaving) movie theaters. Every few months we will go to a matinee, and while we always arrive early there are so many parents that get there right before it starts and they have problems finding seats where they can sit together as there are so many single seats where people did not move down or left room between themselves and the next person.

We took them to see Frozen after it had been out a few months (still packed) and the cinema kept selling tickets unaware that with so many single seats people were unable to finds seats together and proceeded to start sitting in the aisles.

I think assigned seating would alleviate these instances.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:31 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
I don't know much about this industry but here are my observations (right or wrong). I don't look at assigned seating in isolation but rather as part of a bigger need to change.

The experience of going to the movies has changed very little since the beginning of time and theaters need to evolve to keep up with all the other entertainment options. Just about everyone with disposable income has big screens at home with nearly unlimited entertainment options at their fingertips. Attention spans are getting shorter and people want to do/watch/listen to what they want when they want to do it. And for the younger generation and many others, watching the 'big screen' at home is even outdated as they favor their ipads where they can watch what they want in privacy and without having to agree on anything with other people in the family.

Other leisure options like going to the mall or going to a restaurant have evolved to entertain people more and to take them out of realities of real life with its boredom, stress and other problems where you can just have fun and feel like you've 'gotten away'. Many stores have evolved to focus on the experience of visiting as much as the clothes they sell (Hollister, etc). Music has been revolutionized of course too. When I was a teenager in a good month I had money to buy 2-3 CDs. And that was often for one or two songs that I liked on each CD. So about $45-50 per month for say 6 songs that i really wanted. Now kids have nearly unlimited song libraries at their fingertips with Spotify, etc and they listen to what they want when they want to. With youtube they watch whatever videos they want when they want. Even the iTunes concept of buying an mp3 song for $1 has become quickly outdated. While I used to treasure my CD collection many years ago as a teen, the perceived value of a song or an 'album' has been slashed to bits.

While the formulas for nearly all things in life has changed significantly, the experience of going to the movies has not. I think many people have a touch of nostalgia for getting a tub of popcorn and going to the film for the sake of the film alone, this is not enough to sustain the industry as a whole. Many years ago movie theaters have gone from one or two screens to many in one complex and theater complexes have got marginally more glitzy but overall the formula, the facilities and the overall experience are tired and out of step with today's entertainment preferences.

So what does this have to do with assigned seating. I'm not really sure but theaters need to change their formula to try to compete in an environment of fast moving entertainment choices that are increasingly interactive and social. I think theaters have two main choices -

1. evolve into multi-media entertainment complexes with many various options across film, video, music, gaming, dining, drinking, etc. Figuring out how to make the experience interactive utilizing mobile/social, etc. In this scenario, the traditional 2 hour movie concept is not the main event (or not involved at all in the experience) and seeing a 2 hour movie in a theater as we know it today becomes niche or dies over time in favor of multi-media meeting places.

2. The other opposite direction of travel (and I think less likely formula for success) is for movie theaters is to continue to make the film the 'main event' of a trip to the theater and to have any chance of success in this model, theaters will need to increase the perceived value of the experience since the perceived value of all entertainment has reduced through 'all you can eat' models for films (netflix, etc) and music (Spotify, etc) and loads of free content available (pirated, youtube, etc). If your formula depends on getting people out of their homes, off their ipads and phones and committing to sit in a sit for two hours you better make it feel like a 'special' experience. Without realizing it, I think people place a higher value on a seat that's assigned. Some budget airlines don't assign seats but full priced ones do. Many amateur and school sporting events don's assign seats but the 'big events' certainly do. In cafeterias and fast food restaurants you are presented with a sea of tables that you choose yourself. In nice restaurants and bars, you are shown to your seat which is largely the choice of the host.

Assigned seating is also a natural precursor and prerequisite to different tiers of seating (cheap seats and more comfortable better positioned ones).

I think the strategy of trying to get customers to put a higher value on the two hour film concept is a losing battle and theaters and the movie industry should go in the other direction toward multi-media meeting places. There will long be some demand for a traditional two hour movie as an art form but this demand will become more and more niche.

That said, reading novels (in paper or electronic format) seems to be as popular as ever and appear to have little problem competing with the millions of seemingly more contemporary entertainment options.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:37 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
What theater was this? Was it a national chain? I would hate this, since I'm picky about who I'm sitting behind, or near.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:11 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
In my experience in Australia, assigned seating is now the standard. My view is that it's much more convenient. We pick a seat and pay on an app, and with 5 in the family we never have to stress about whether we will be seated together, or disrupting other people by asking them to move down one seat. We can also turn up right when the movie Is starting rather than wasting time sitting in a cinema for half an hour before the movie starts.

Back when this was starting to be the trend about 15 years ago, I would choose the cinema based on whether they had assigned seating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: