Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 07:01 AM

27 posts, read 21,530 times

Advertisements

Hey! I was just wondering if anyone could recommend some places in NYC where I could find affordable vintage clothing/jewelry. I realize that vintage= lots of money sometimes. I just want to find some nice pieces at reasonable prices. Your knowledge/experience will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 11:32 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,532 times
F NYC. Just buy stuff on ebay. You will spend 3/4 times the amount in NYC. There used to be a place in Brooklyn where you could buy vintage by the pound but I bet that place is LOOOONG gone.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:43 AM

781 posts, read 1,196,129 times
Can't recall the name but I used to score old school, 80s-esque Adidas pants that I adored somewhere by Canal Street. They had tons of other vintage clothing too, it was a two-level store; not sure if the place is still there, as, I haven't been there in over a decade (or two, lol), but it's worth doing a search around there.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:33 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,125 times
-I'm giving you a tri-borough answer here: Brooklyn's Berg'n (clothing, jewelry); Lower East Side of Manhattan(clothing); and the Indian/SE Asian neighborhoods in Queens (jewelry, clothing).

Brooklyn Wintertime, every weekend at 1000 Dean St. in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. The outdoor sign says Berg'n, which is an all-week beer hall/artisan food place. On weekends, they add a huge flea market with a variety of vendors, including vintage clothing/jewelry and some new designers just startng out. Clothing prices are all manageable. It's fun to explore.

The organizers moved all the vendors into an old Studebaker factory for the winter, at the beer hall called Berg'n. Beer hall's on a whole other floor, though.

So when you shop vintage there, you can also eat from BBQ or ethhnic foodcarts, or buy take-home vintage food staples.

In Spring/Summer/Autumn. all this is called "Smorgasbord" and happens in two different parks each summer weekend. For winter, it's nice to have it all under one roof. Close to subways.

Indoor Winter Flea - Brooklyn Flea

Vendors - Brooklyn Flea

Manhattan Scout around the Lower East Side of Manhattan, a few samples here: https://www.google.com/search?q=lowe...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

As a solo shopper, don't waste time in Manhattan's "Garment District." They mostly don't accept walk-in shoppers. Their customers are wholesalers who order and buy entire whole lots. If others know otherwise, I'd be glad to know about it.

Queens Can another poster who knows Queens point where to go for jewelry that'd be attractive to a "vintage" budget shopper? I was walking around Roosevelt Ave/Bway/Jackson Heights and saw some beautiful hand-wrought S.E. Asian jewelry, plus clothing like Salwar Khameez and tunics, in windows, but I'm not sure exactly where I was, or the prices. I felt overwhelmed and ended up just looking.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 02-01-2015 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: paragraph order, bolding

Old 02-01-2015, 01:40 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Can't recall the name but I used to score old school, 80s-esque Adidas pants that I adored somewhere by Canal Street. They had tons of other vintage clothing too, it was a two-level store; not sure if the place is still there, as, I haven't been there in over a decade (or two, lol), but it's worth doing a search around there.
Canal Street Jean Co. ! They moved to B'way then became Bloomingdales I believe.

Anyone remember UNIQUE on 8th and Bway ?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:51 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Canal Street Jean Co. ! They moved to B'way then became Bloomingdales I believe.

Anyone remember UNIQUE on 8th and Bway ?
Yes, that's it--trying to remember the name was gnawing at my brain, lol. Thank you.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:47 PM

27 posts, read 21,530 times
Thank you , thank you, Thank Youuuuuuu, CNYC, BrightRabbit, and MobileVisitor09!! I will definitely look into these places.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:38 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,699 times
I have A LOT of vintage clothing. It's about 1/2 my wardrobe. I have gone to many vintage stores in NYC and by far the cheapest place I've ever been to is No Relation Vintage on 1st ave and 12th st in Manhattan. Trust me on this one. I was there last Friday and picked up a traditional Norwegian wool sweater for $15. Those sweaters go for $50+ in every other vintage store and online. In fact most items in that store are under $25

If you like rummaging you can go to the Goodwill warehouse in Long Island City. It's not for the novice though. You have to rummage through large bins and have a good eye to pick out good vintage items. If you go on a weekend, get there early and come prepared with your own reusable shopping bag. It's competitive and people have been known to get nudged out of the way. It's dirt cheap though as it's priced by the pound: something like $1.67/ pound

Old 02-01-2015, 06:07 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Beacon's Closet in Bushwick. They also have a location in Greenpoint.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:57 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,338 times
Save money on vintage, try Salvation Army by union square on 4th avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City