Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 8,205 times

Advertisements

Was hoping to get some feedback please on this!

I received a ticket from a police officer in Staten Island. Violation code is 1111 d-3 (disobey steady red light) the arrow Light was yellow as I entered the intersection but turned red before I completely made it through.
I was not speeding before the intersection nor did I speed up to make it through.
I felt as though there was no way for me to stop otherwise would have stopped in the middle of the intersection
is there anyone that has had any luck fighting this in cook county court?
I am in my mid 30's and my last moving violation ticket was about 5 years ago.
Not sure if my fairly clean record will sway anything in my favor.

Any input appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:35 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,773,903 times
there is no way to prove your case as even entering the intersection on the yellow is looked at as a negative.

in nyc clean records do not count. we don't have actual judges and procecutors here.

you go to a dmv hearing with administrators acting as judges with no ability too veer between 100% innocent or 100% guilty.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:41 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,022 times
Yellow lights are tricky. My California DMV handbook says " Slow down and proceed if safe to do so ". If you weren't blocking an intersection while doing it then it was probably a cop trying to get his quota filled and arguing won't do you any good because TECHNICALLY the light turned to red as you were turning....just some Ahole being an Ahole. Not much to do about it which is totally unfair to you. Sorry

Old 02-06-2015, 09:53 AM

345 posts, read 853,245 times
I think all municipalities play with the timing of the yellow light. It pays for them to make the red light come on as fast as possible. Funny how a police officer was right there to give you that ticket. I got a feeling there's an officer there all the time.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 8,205 times
should i fight it and plea not guilty? would the judge consider? i'm concerning about the 3 points toward my licence.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:51 AM

go ahead , just realize there is no plea bargaing or reductions of any kind in nyc so you need a 100% not guilty verdict.

how are you going to prove your case? that is why a dash cam can be a big plus.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:26 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
curious, a bit off the topic, do they sometimes reduce parking fines if you show up in court or is that like the traffic courts now? I was able to get 2 parking tix totalling $105 reduced to $30 when i came to court to explain my side but this was in 1994.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:44 PM

parking tickets are totally different. not handled by the same department.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:05 PM

725 posts, read 805,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
go ahead , just realize there is no plea bargaing or reductions of any kind in nyc so you need a 100% not guilty verdict.

how are you going to prove your case? that is why a dash cam can be a big plus.

This is the problem with these type of pseudo courts. Last time I checked it should be the state that has to prove someone did something beyond a reasonable doubt versus someone having to prove his or her innocence. The word of a cop is worthless in my book because they are notorious liars.

Plead not guilty to the moving violation. Always plead not guilty. If you have the cops name on the ticket do research and see if he has complaints on record against him. File a criminal complaint yourself with internal affairs for criminal violation of civil rights if he lied on the ticket. In a real court I would subpoena all his records, get his medical and eye exam results and etc. This isn't a real court but you can always try.

Someone should sue in state and also federal court claiming that such a tvb court is unconstitutional because of lack of due process.

Whatever the case this whole police state is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with safety to pull someone over who went through a light that just changed. Pulling someone over obstructs traffic and distracts motorists. It's also during traffic stops that a lot of people get abused by police. People should have the right to be safe in their cars.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 PM

19,037 posts, read 13,948,655 times
^ lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City