Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:47 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
OP -

I lived in NYC for a year and now have been in LA for about 2.

Couldn't be happier.

NYC is anything BUT convenient.

LOL @ having to haul groceries with a gramma's shopping cart:

- LA is highly urban, contrary to popular belief (of mostly New Yorkers). There are a TON of neighborhoods that are highly walk-able. LA is a mixture of everything which is the #1 reason why it's awesome. You could live in a house with a big yard and still be in the middle of the action.

- Quality of life anywhere outside of NYC will be much higher. Just like NYC, there are expensive and there are cheap areas in LA. You could buy a 1 bedroom apt in Beverly Hills for 700k or a big house with 3 garages for 300k in Van Nuys.

You already know this but don't even get me started with the Mexican food.

LA 4 lyf3
to continue,

you are obviously misleading people, because I LIVE in a suburb of LA.. it takes me 2-3 hours to drive to work and out.. It's horrific. I need to get up at 5:30am to beat the traffic otherwise. If you want to compare NY to LA in that regards, you have to consider the "tri-state".. including westchester, bergen county, NJ and Long Island. everything you've listed is available to those who work in NYC. You can buy a beautiful house in a natural park environment in Westchester, or Long Island, even Bergen county and still get into the city much faster.

Finally, LA is a different kind of urban.. beside downtown LA and hollywood, its' nearly impossible to get around without a car. It is a hybrid suburb/urban lifesteyl with sprawling neighborhoods that need to be driven through. There is a public MTA line, the blue, gold, red, etc.. but they are SO SLOW (nearly 3-4x slower than car) which is also very slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:29 AM

335 posts, read 423,852 times
I moved from NYC to New Orleans. I get a much larger house with a huge backyard that I couldn't dream of in NYC. Also, New Orleans has plenty of culture, like how NYC was before it gentrified.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:10 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
YoungTraveler: Awesome pictures! I don 't think most of New England or most of New York State can match those scenes!
Hung out here yesterday:

https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...7a&oe=55ABBBFA

https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...89&oe=55BBE5C5

had a great time

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-05-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 05:39 PM

64 posts, read 78,447 times
Very interesting and informative thread.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:09 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Hung out here yesterday:

had a great time
What beach is that?

Old 04-05-2015, 06:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Hung out here yesterday:

had a great time
People who actually leave in places like California don't go gaga over the beaches. When something is available to you all the time it isn't anything special or a big deal. Only outsiders go crazy over stuff they aren't used too.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
People who actually leave in places like California don't go gaga over the beaches. When something is available to you all the time it isn't anything special or a big deal. Only outsiders go crazy over stuff they aren't used too.
Same why how outsiders go crazy for Central Park, Williamsburg and other places to go and do things in NYC?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:41 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Same why how outsiders go crazy for Central Park, Williamsburg and other places to go and do things in NYC?
Agree, this is why having 4 seasons in the Northeast, ie NYC is attractive.. things are always in motion. Things are always relatively good or bad. When you exist in a place that is staid and constant, nothing moves.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 PM

850 posts, read 796,022 times
If people already dont know, Cal has laws for their water shortages, which means foods that use water to produce them will cost more, you cant water your grass and garden like you did before, limits on car washing,etc so many people using limited amount of resources. Again not bashing LA, but LA in general is overrated while NY if you can afford it is great.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
Agree, this is why having 4 seasons in the Northeast, ie NYC is attractive.. things are always in motion. Things are always relatively good or bad. When you exist in a place that is staid and constant, nothing moves.
NYC has had a vew few bitter and brutal winters in the past few years. I don't know how 4 seasons can be attractive to anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Thanks for the story! I believe the fear of the unknown is what keeps a lot of people back. (including myself) Also, the fear of starting over, change, etc. Hopefully this year, i will pay off my student loans and then i can save for a state move. I hope to leave NYC by or before 2018.
We just have to let go and take a leap of faith, but when we fall, we have to make sure we have a pillow of money that can catch us. If you don't have that, than you are screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
What about the drought in CA? Heard it's so bad now with mandatory water restrictions and such that people are thinking about moving away (to NYC I'm guessing since LA expats seem to want the exact opposite when moving) Kind of alarming when you see pics of dried up lakes and rivers.

A report came out today saying the population in the 5 boroughs in the city is at levels expected for 2020 and is growing at rapid pace yet. While the subways are more packed at rush hour and sidewalks are more crowded I'm seeing a growing sentiment over the past couple of years that makes me pause even after moving from Manhattan to Westchester; "it's just gotten too expense to live here and isn't worth it anymore" Hmm... add infrastructure/ subway problems to that and I'm interested in where the figures is the pop growing if a growing number of its population is considering moving away?

Even though I love my suburban life I'm thinking about moving away sooner than later if I ever want to afford a home, in my suburb of Larchmont the average price of a home is nearly $1 million. Philly, Chicago and maybe Minneapolis are where I'm researching.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ties/25290139/

I agree with this. Over the past few years plenty f transient types have been moving out or looking to move out of NYC due to competition, lack of housing, horrible expensive neighborhoods like Bedstuy and Mott Haven, and horrid transportation.

NYC has a fair amount of turn over in the past couple of years, especially with young grads who are having trouble establishing a stable life here and seem decamping for less competitive cities in growing numbers. Their is a huge and growing campaign for young transients to move to smaller lower cost cities, or suburban cities with a small urban core like Austin or OKC. Some cities are wiling to pay young people to move there. Unless if your parents have money, or if one went to an Ivy league school or big name college than cities like Boston, NYC, DC and and San Fran are worth it. If one went to an ordinary no name or low cost college, or even went to college but comes from an low income family, its best to explore less competitive, lower cost cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
If people already dont know, Cal has laws for their water shortages, which means foods that use water to produce them will cost more, you cant water your grass and garden like you did before, limits on car washing,etc so many people using limited amount of resources. Again not bashing LA, but LA in general is overrated while NY if you can afford it is great.
California drought would me make worried about moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City