Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you join contribute to a pro-car lobbying organization
Yes - I'd both join and contribute 10 40.00%
Yes - I'd join but wouldn't want to contribute 3 12.00%
No 12 48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 02:34 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times

Advertisements

Bla has decided that drivers should be second class citizens. His absurd "Vision Zero" idiocy is nothing more than a method to extort more money from drivers. And why do tolls on NYC bridges go to fund mass transit, and not roads. These and the various other charges and inconveniences foisted on drivers (think the vastly underused bike lanes) need to be crushed.

There are 1.8 million passenger cars registered in NYC. To my mind that's 1.8 million potential pro-car voters and possible political contributors to pro-car candidates. I also think a lot of the professional drivers out there (local truckers, cabbies, livery drivers) could be counted in this group.

Would you join a NRA type lobbying organization, dedicated to forcing politicians to back off from the anti-car rhetoric spouted Bla and his ilk? Would you contribute to it, and vote for/contribute to pro-car politicians who support it's positions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 03:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,223 times
I totally agree with you. However, let's keep the facts clear. Bloomberg tried similar approaches (congestion pricing) for beloved Manhattan and that was a bust. They (De Blasio) is reconsidering it.

Just like they want us to pay yet again to have trash hauled away. This is not a Republican or Democrat thing, it's simply a greed in NYC thing.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:38 PM

I never said anything about parties (NYC essentially being a one party town. Even what we call Republicans are Democrats.) Bla just happens to be the idiot running City Hall.

But your point is taking. Mine is about the issue, not the party. We need an organization that would go after any politician in either (any) party, who tries to foist this crap on NYC drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
I totally agree with you. However, let's keep the facts clear. Bloomberg tried similar approaches (congestion pricing) for beloved Manhattan and that was a bust. They (De Blasio) is reconsidering it.

Just like they want us to pay yet again to have trash hauled away. This is not a Republican or Democrat thing, it's simply a greed in NYC thing.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
It bothers me when politicians waste their time and money and efforts to extort more from drivers despite it not being even considered by the state senate who know's it's violating to everyone's rights.

Just as it bothered me that Bloomberg went so crazy about Sodas and Stop and Frisk.

You're the mayor, you're not the Governor- and even he isn't the all knowing and mighty.

Drivers can vote with their feet. My car is no longer registered nor drives in New York.
Hundreds of dollars a year in gas taxes, tolls, and registration fees that NY no longer sees from me.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:20 AM

515 posts, read 875,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
(think the vastly underused bike lanes)
lol what? Ever since that joke of a program known as Citibike came around the city's bike lanes have been overpopulated. When was the last time you were on a bike in NYC?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 AM

One issue is that I'm on the UES, so we don't have Citibike up here. Downtown I could see them getting more use. However, considering that Citibike is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, I don't know how much it should be figured into the equation.

I can be stuck in traffic on 1st Avenue in the middle of the day, looking at the empty bike lane, occasionally seeing a bike go by, while the main road in bumper to bumper. That bike lane would definitely be put to better use by the motor vehicles (I was going to say cars, be we got buses and trucks in large supply also.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
lol what? Ever since that joke of a program known as Citibike came around the city's bike lanes have been overpopulated. When was the last time you were on a bike in NYC?

Old 02-28-2015, 03:23 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,223 times
Quote:
I never said anything about parties (NYC essentially being a one party town. Even what we call Republicans are Democrats.) Bla just happens to be the idiot running City Hall.

But your point is taking. Mine is about the issue, not the party. We need an organization that would go after any politician in either (any) party, who tries to foist this crap on NYC drivers.
I didn't need to. Your prose tells it all. Aren't you aware of that?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 AM

After three days, seven people seem to care. This doesn't look good.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:28 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
After three days, seven people seem to care. This doesn't look good.
everyone who has a few bucks remaining are probably fleeing NYC

Old 03-01-2015, 01:01 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Bla has decided that drivers should be second class citizens. His absurd "Vision Zero" idiocy is nothing more than a method to extort more money from drivers. And why do tolls on NYC bridges go to fund mass transit, and not roads. These and the various other charges and inconveniences foisted on drivers (think the vastly underused bike lanes) need to be crushed.

There are 1.8 million passenger cars registered in NYC. To my mind that's 1.8 million potential pro-car voters and possible political contributors to pro-car candidates. I also think a lot of the professional drivers out there (local truckers, cabbies, livery drivers) could be counted in this group.

Would you join a NRA type lobbying organization, dedicated to forcing politicians to back off from the anti-car rhetoric spouted Bla and his ilk? Would you contribute to it, and vote for/contribute to pro-car politicians who support it's positions?
I agree. Vision Zero is a pure cash cow, nothing more. Indeed, the survival rate of being hit by a car going 30 miles per hour (the old default speed limit) isn't much greater from what I recall than the survival rate of being hit by a car going 25 miles per hour. Yes, we had too many automobile fatalities under the old speed limit, but this had more to do with the fact that the old speed limit wasn't being adequately enforced (i.e. drivers were speeding with impunity) vs. the speed limit itself. de Blasio could have seen far fewer automobiles by simply enforcing the old speed limit. Not to mention placing speed bumps in critical areas would have done the trick as well.

The tolls are even more infuriating. I have no problem inherently with some toll proceeds being used to support public transportation (although, not at the expense of basic road upkeep), but they are being used to support capital campaigns, which the MTA is billions of dollars in debt for! That's the problem. The MTA is being fiscally irresponsible in embarking on UNNECESSARY projects (for instance, the new, extravagant Fulton Street Terminal and the 2nd Avenue Subway . . . regardless of how helpful it will be, the 2nd Avenue Subway wasn't necessary and residents in the area have gotten around fine for years without it and other areas of this city are even more subway-starved. Seriously, though, the 2nd Avenue Subway is "necessary" because residents had to walk a few blocks between 1-5 blocks to the 4th Avenue Subway??? Give me a damn break ) Yes, the 4/5 are crowded, but there was another solution vs. building a new line, and an underground one at that.

Thankfully, the tolling plan isn't likely to be approved due to GOP opposition in the State Senate. I'd be willing to join such an association if it meant supporting politicians who opposed such shenanigans (I don't see scaling back on what has already been approved, sadly).

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-01-2015 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City