Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,380 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a house in Staten Island. We have 2 little kids (one in elementary school and one toddler) and were wondering what areas are safest, with good schools, and affordable houses. Ideally, we would be interested in a two-family home so that we can rent one of the units or use it for our relatives (who would pay rent). We are currently in Brooklyn and have a budget of about $650K. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:26 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,810 times
Try hitting up SIBOR - The Staten Island Board of REALTORS. This website connects you to local real estate agents if you see a property you're interested in.

Check for South Shore: Arden Heights, Annadale, Tottenville, Eltingville, Huegonot, Pleasant Plains, Princess Bay, Bay Terrace, Latourette

Mid Island: Emerson Hill, New Springville, New Dorp, Grant City, Heartland Village

North Shore: Westerleigh, Sunnyside, Ward Hill, Manor Heights, Todt Hill, Randall Manor, Fort Wadsworth, Brighton Heights, Grymes Hill

Your best bet is to work with a Staten Island based real estate agent. The things you want/need are a matter of personal preference.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Try hitting up SIBOR - The Staten Island Board of REALTORS. This website connects you to local real estate agents if you see a property you're interested in.

Check for South Shore: Arden Heights, Annadale, Tottenville, Eltingville, Huegonot, Pleasant Plains, Princess Bay, Bay Terrace, Latourette

Mid Island: Emerson Hill, New Springville, New Dorp, Grant City, Heartland Village

North Shore: Westerleigh, Sunnyside, Ward Hill, Manor Heights, Todt Hill, Randall Manor, Fort Wadsworth, Brighton Heights, Grymes Hill

Your best bet is to work with a Staten Island based real estate agent. The things you want/need are a matter of personal preference.

Good luck.
Great neighborhoods.

I would add Woodrow to the south shore. By bloomingdale park, great place to raise kids. As well as bullshead for mid island.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:29 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti19 View Post
We are looking for a house in Staten Island. We have 2 little kids (one in elementary school and one toddler) and were wondering what areas are safest, with good schools, and affordable houses. Ideally, we would be interested in a two-family home so that we can rent one of the units or use it for our relatives (who would pay rent). We are currently in Brooklyn and have a budget of about $650K. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
You might want to see some of Airborneguy's posts for that info.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
^ thanks.

I have a great real estate agent to recommend. If you are interested, send me a private message. He just listed a 2 family in a great neighborhood near me for far less than your budget allows.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:32 AM

432 posts, read 552,127 times
Look into the residential zoning laws in the area you are buying. SI is notorious for tear-downs, i.e. knocking out one big old house and putting up 5 townhouses in place. Areas zoned as R1, R2 and R3X prevent builders from doing such (however, what was done in the past is grandfathered in). Areas where overbuilding occurred during the housing boom have become way overcrowded with a lack of amenities. I'm a fan of the Richmondtown, Oakwood, and New Dorp areas, which will have something in your price range. Also take into account that commutes to Manhttan from the south shore towns that sprung up in recent years are horrendous and options are limited.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM

Forget Arden Heights, drugs there too. I did include it but you shouldn't consider it.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:40 PM

I would add Woodrow to the south shore. By bloomingdale park, great place to raise kids. As well as bullshead for mid island.

Yeah, I forgot about Grasmere as well (sort of mid Island). But you know what is considered "good" for one person may not be for another. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:53 PM

929 posts, read 1,660,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Forget Arden Heights, drugs there too. I did include it but you shouldn't consider it.
Drugs are everywhere in the South Shore, from Tottenville to Great Kills. Where there are teenagers and young adults, there will be drugs. I know plenty of kids who use, and a few who sell.

Violent crime isn't there. That's what matters.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Drugs are everywhere in the South Shore, from Tottenville to Great Kills. Where there are teenagers and young adults, there will be drugs. I know plenty of kids who use, and a few who sell.

Violent crime isn't there. That's what matters.
Yes it is. Where there is a huge concentration of drugs and activities about drugs, crime is there. Stick ups, theiving and that sort is on the rise. No street shootings so far. It's not gang mob related (dunno). If it were it would be more violent. How long do you think it will be before the junkies get really keyed up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: