Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

Go to any lengths to find another solution.

The New Yorker did a terrific expose' of the shelter system in the City called HIDDEN CITY October 28 ,2013. The article is heavy on the do's and don'ts and is quite thorough.

If they allow you to read it online, DO:
Hidden City - The New Yorker

I have a subscription so maybe that's why I can access the article online. If you cannot read it, go to the library and ask for it. Maybe they allow a couple freebie reads online?

Forewarned is forearmed.

Good luck...my heart goes out to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ded1 View Post
The case worker i spoke to today informed me that i could also take this as an opportunity to go to college. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA. Sure that will be best in the long run but i know employment is the key to get out of this much faster. Do you have any skills you could put to work right now? My long term goal is to become an rn then a crna so that i can comfortably provide for myself and my child. Stay on this path. This is an excellent career choice. It's long but you can work as you study for nursing. I planned on attending college this fall but im not sure how anything works with this shelter business. I will update my progress as often as i can, as im sure it may help someone else.

Thank you and good luck to you. You have to do what you have to do.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:30 PM

11 posts, read 18,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Go to any lengths to find another solution.

The New Yorker did a terrific expose' of the shelter system in the City called HIDDEN CITY October 28 ,2013. The article is heavy on the do's and don'ts and is quite thorough.

If they allow you to read it online, DO:
Hidden City - The New Yorker

I have a subscription so maybe that's why I can access the article online. If you cannot read it, go to the library and ask for it. Maybe they allow a couple freebie reads online?

Forewarned is forearmed.

Good luck...my heart goes out to you.
That was very informative, thank you! I feel that some people dont always comply with and keep all the appointments that you are supposed to.
I fully intend to do all that is required of me, though it will be hard with a child, meaning i can only do things before 6pm, which is when most daycares are closed. So working at night will be difficult. If i have to go to school full time and work as well then i will. Sure i wont get to spend too much time with my baby but this is only temporary. No way do i intend to live off the government like some choose to, thats no way of life. I have to do what i have to do for my baby. Thats all.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
[/b]

Thank you and good luck to you. You have to do what you have to do.
Any work i do now, i still would need the help. Welfare can only help with $287 for rent which is what they will give for a me and my child. Thats really not ****. Idk how people can live off the government with that, not that i intend to lol. Any minimum wage job i get will go all to rent and utilities. Plus babies run through clothes so fast its rediculous.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
That was very informative, thank you! I feel that some people dont always comply with and keep all the appointments that you are supposed to.
I fully intend to do all that is required of me, though it will be hard with a child, meaning i can only do things before 6pm, which is when most daycares are closed. So working at night will be difficult. If i have to go to school full time and work as well then i will. Sure i wont get to spend too much time with my baby but this is only temporary. No way do i intend to live off the government like some choose to, thats no way of life. I have to do what i have to do for my baby. Thats all.
You have the right attitude ded1! This is the most important thing. Maybe you can do college-work study so your work is where you go to school. Retail work would be hard for you because of the way the change your schedules. My son did retail in high school and college. When you apply for Financial Aid put that you want to work on your Federal FAFSA forms.

Back in the day when I worked for CUNY, some of the colleges had child care for their students. I'm not sure about that now, but I'll look around. This was in the 80's. You got a good head on you it seems, and you know what must be done and you've got plans. Priority # 1 your child. YOU ARE GOING TO BE FINE!!!

Old 03-05-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Any work i do now, i still would need the help. Welfare can only help with $287 for rent which is what they will give for a me and my child. Thats really not ****. Idk how people can live off the government with that, not that i intend to lol. Any minimum wage job i get will go all to rent and utilities. Plus babies run through clothes so fast its rediculous.
They grow so fast out of them, I know. I don't know how people do it either. Some people feel a sense of hopelessness that is entrenched in their family dynamic. Nothing wrong with needing help sometimes. But to do this for a long time is unimaginable to me. Thing is, you've got to take advantage of the help you'll receive now. There are limitations in NYS as to how long you can receive aid (not your child).

Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
They grow so fast out of them, I know. I don't know how people do it either. Some people feel a sense of hopelessness that is entrenched in their family dynamic. Nothing wrong with needing help sometimes. But to do this for a long time is unimaginable to me. Thing is, you've got to take advantage of the help you'll receive now. There are limitations in NYS as to how long you can receive aid (not your child).
Yes there is a limit, 60 months unless you qualify for "exemptions" and "extentions". But who cant get it together in 5 years?? Plus when you reach the limit you can get on the other assistance, which is for single people. I also looked up schools with daycare but they are usually for children 2 and up. Ill just have to plan classes and work around daycare. Idk if daycares do weekends. Anyway, i have at least have a plan. I just dont know how the shelter system works but once i figure it out i can plan around it. At least its just one child i have and not more im confused about why the case worker said to try to get i to achool now.

Haven't all spring classes started already? Unless there is something i dont know about.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Yes there is a limit, 60 months unless you qualify for "exemptions" and "extentions". But who cant get it together in 5 years?? Plus when you reach the limit you can get on the other assistance, which is for single people. I also looked up schools with daycare but they are usually for children 2 and up. Ill just have to plan classes and work around daycare. Idk if daycares do weekends. Anyway, i have at least have a plan. I just dont know how the shelter system works but once i figure it out i can plan around it. At least its just one child i have and not more im confused about why the case worker said to try to get i to achool now.

Haven't all spring classes started already? Unless there is something i dont know about.
Apply for a scholarship at one of the Montessori schools - they exist, Twin Parks.
Schools are vastly better.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:

CUNY Campuses do have child care!

Some campuses provide day care for infants and toddlers and about half have after-school programs for older children. And for the student parents, they are vital: Few could manage college and child rearing without the highly subsidized fees of the campus child care centers, which range from $11 to $25 for a full day.

Commuting To Class

Sorry, I can't give insight anymore than tell you what I've provided via an internet search. But being able to take your child with you to school (even if you're lucky enough to work on campus) would be a tremendous benefit.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
CUNY Campuses do have child care!

Some campuses provide day care for infants and toddlers and about half have after-school programs for older children. And for the student parents, they are vital: Few could manage college and child rearing without the highly subsidized fees of the campus child care centers, which range from $11 to $25 for a full day.

Commuting To Class

Sorry, I can't give insight anymore than tell you what I've provided via an internet search. But being able to take your child with you to school (even if you're lucky enough to work on campus) would be a tremendous benefit.
My alma mater (City Tech CUNY) has a daycare

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: