Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 01:40 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times

Advertisements

I see on the Bx 12 news that the area around Leland Ave. and Archer Street, Guerlain St, etc WP Rd (not sure if its Parkchester or Soundview or even W Farms) now has police patrols due to robberies and shootings. I worked someone who lived on Guerlain and she said it was bad then (this was in 1990).

Was this area always bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:21 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
West of White Plains,South of E Tremont and N of The Cross Bronx is Park Versailles. Archer is to the East of White Plains Rd and is in Parkchester.

Whatever is going on there now is nothing compared to the 80's and 90's. It was much worse then.

As to "always bad" I don't think so. It was considered a pretty nice area in the 30's,40's 50's and 60's. It's ups and downs have been similar to Parkchester itself which was very nice from it's beginning up until the mid to late 60's,then went into a real decline for almost 30 years before turning around much for the better in the last 10 or 15 years.

The Park in the name Parkchester comes from the old neighborhood name of Park Versailles, which the Eastern part of Parkchester is partly within. The Chester in the name Parkchester comes from the neighborhood of Westchester Village,which the Western part of Parkchester is in. They took land from both neighborhoods to build Parkchester.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-13-2015 at 02:30 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 02:34 PM

503 posts, read 899,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
West of White Plains,South of E Tremont and N of The Cross Bronx is Park Versailles. Archer is to the East of White Plains Rd and is in Parkchester.

Whatever is going on there now is nothing compared to the 80's and 90's. It was much worse then.

As to "always bad" I don't think so. It was considered a pretty nice area in the 30's,40's 50's and 60's. It's ups and downs have been similar to Parkchester itself which was very nice from it's beginning up until the mid to late 60's,then went into a real decline for almost 30 years before turning around much for the better in the last 10 or 15 years.

The Park in the name Parkchester comes from the old neighborhood name of Park Versailles, which the Eastern part of Parkchester is partly within. The Chester in the name Parkchester comes from the neighborhood of Westchester Village,which the Western part of Parkchester is in. They took land from both neighborhoods to build Parkchester.
Nice post.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:20 AM

116 posts, read 221,054 times
pass the Bruckner mail towards Kippsbay, is pretty good. You guys are talking about the BX36 line on the eastside right? West farms, is trash though I'm not even being bias about it either, it's the truth.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:32 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
What is the neighborhood that includes East Tremont avenue and Morris Park ave? It is west of the Bronx River, so technically it's West Farms but I can't get around calling a neighborhood with Morris Park ave, West Farms.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What is the neighborhood that includes East Tremont avenue and Morris Park ave? It is west of the Bronx River, so technically it's West Farms but I can't get around calling a neighborhood with Morris Park ave, West Farms.
It's Van Nest but it's not West of The Bx River. It's East, if this is the area you are thinking of. https://goo.gl/maps/vPpQz

A lot of streets / roads are named for their destination so you don't have to be hesitant about a name because it seems like it's misplaced. It's Morris Park Avenue because it goes to Morris Park just like White Plains Rd goes to White Plains,Boston Rd goes to Boston,etc. Boston Road's name goes back to the colonial era when it was literally the only road for travel between Boston and NY and it still maintains the name Boston Road or Boston Post Road all the way up through Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-15-2015 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 01:50 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's Van Nest but it's not West of The Bx River. It's East, if this is the area you are thinking of. https://goo.gl/maps/vPpQz

A lot of streets / roads are named for their destination so you don't have to be hesitant about a name because it seems like it's misplaced. It's Morris Park Avenue because it goes to Morris Park just like White Plains Rd goes to White Plains,Boston Rd goes to Boston,etc. Boston Road's name goes back to the colonial era when it was literally the only road for travel between Boston and NY and it still maintains the name Boston Road or Boston Post Road all the way up through Connecticut and Massachusetts.
Well the exact intersection I'm looking at is East Tremont ave and Morris Park ave. If you look at the map it's actually west of Bronx River. Also, the intersection lies closer to west farms than Van nest. But if it's consider Van Nest then I'll take your word for it.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Well the exact intersection I'm looking at is East Tremont ave and Morris Park ave. If you look at the map it's actually west of Bronx River. Also, the intersection lies closer to west farms than Van nest. But if it's consider Van Nest then I'll take your word for it.
When you originally said Bronx River I naturally assumed you were talking about the River itself ,not the Parkway.I see now that you must be talking about the Parkway.

180th St on the North and The Bronx River Parkway on the East are the boundary of Van Nest. To the West of that is generally considered a part of West Farms.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bron...F%3B1106%3B728

So the area you are talking about is W Farms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City