Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 18,037 times

Advertisements

Hi forum,

Since my fiancée is from San Francisco, we're planning on having a more formal/traditional ceremony in California with her family, and an informal courthouse wedding her in Brooklyn with our friends. Can anyone share their experience getting married at the courthouse in Brooklyn (or in another borough)? I understand the bureaucratic procedure to be (1) apply for marriage license online (2) then come pick up the license a day or two later from the courthouse. What I'm curious about is, how do you integrate this procedure into an informal marriage ceremony? Since you don't know the exact time when you will be able to pick up the certificate, do you ask your friends/family members to come wait in the courthouse with you? Or wait outside and then go to a restaurant or something? My fiancée and I are truly unsure how to organize this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 AM

1,077 posts, read 872,006 times
City Clerk's Office - Marriage Ceremony

some info above on civil ceremonies at the court house in Downtown Brooklyn, HTH..

Congrats..

Old 03-09-2015, 08:26 AM

257 posts, read 685,001 times
You have some misconceptions about the procedure. You apply for and get the marriage license in person. The first time you go to the clerk's office you will walk out with the marriage license in hand. Then you have to a wait 24 hours before the ceremony can be performed. I'd say you'll have to invite your friends to wait with you, as waiting times can be on the unpredictable side.

I've found this post to be a very good resource: How To Get Married At New York City Hall A Practical Wedding: Blog Ideas for the Modern Wedding, Plus Marriage

Old 03-09-2015, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the clarification, pyschopompos. I also googled and found those pages, but I they didn't give the information I was looking for. Since it would be fastidious to list all of the questions I have about the process, I was hoping that someone could tell me about their own experience getting married at the courthouse.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 AM

257 posts, read 685,001 times
When are you planning to get married? I will be able to give you first-hand impressions some time in early April

Old 03-09-2015, 09:51 AM

138 posts, read 208,048 times
Granted, my wedding day is now nearly twelve years ago, but my spouse and I had a great experience getting married at the Brooklyn courthouse. On the day we were getting married, our friends / witnesses came with us. I don't recall there being a terribly long wait and it was a nice community experience--lots of other excited couples. The legal ceremony was very brief, but you could tell the judge liked her job. My spouse and I went out for lunch at the now defunct Robin des Bois and had a nicer celebratory dinner with friends later that night.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:27 AM

We're getting married at the end of May. I'd be delighted to hear about your big day.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:32 AM

@versicle, that's just the kind of info I was looking for, for example : did you go directly from the courthouse to a restaurant with a party of friends/family, or did you plan something later in the day? Given the vagaries of the waiting time, I assume it would be more practical to do what you did, in other words, invite some people to meet at the courthouse and then have a dinner or something in the evening.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
We did Manhattan (corner of Center and Worth.)
Simple, nice, cheap, respectful, no hassles.
And a big blowout afterwards...4 of us went to Chinatown for lunch ROFL.
Total cost of everything including license and marriage certificate and lunch was less than $100

After "living in sin" for 40 years, no point in a big to-do.

Yes, you walk out with the license but must wait 24 hours to come back and get married and they give you the marriage certificate on the spot.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:04 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
You need a min. of one witness at the ceremony. So I would just pick the closest people to come to the courthouse ceremony and then do a larger celebration with the others at location of your choice later on in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: