Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 02:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Do people really believe hedge fund managers are spending millions on charter school efforts because they care about education? You have guys spending money on charters like Carl Icahn whose history is buying and selling companies to squeeze money out of them and couldn't care less if they end up putting the company out of business if it makes them a profit. The hedge funds just want to get their hands on the billions spent on education. To do that they spend millions on lobbying and commercials. It's not about the students, it's about the money.
Just said that - "value extraction" model = "privatization."
Do not expect the stupids to listen. Fortunately there are not so many here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 02:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'm not saying that black kids shouldn't have discipline, but that they should be disciplined differently from white kids - absolutely not. But that's often what happens in the school system. I don't condone it.

As long as you don't mention the Ivy League every few posts....Personally, I just don't care whether you're an Ivy Leaguer or not and don't think it's the only road to success for either blacks or whites.
It's not the only success, however.............

I would say it's easier for whites, particularly if they have money and powerful connections (along with talent) to be successful at high levels. Look at super rare geniuses like Zuckerberg or Gates. Both men never got their bachelor degrees.

Now take well known successful Blacks. Say President Obama and Michelle Obama. Would we have heard of them if they didn't have Ivy League degrees? Probably not.

Since people stereotype Blacks as illiterate and all 2nd grade drop outs, they often need top credentials to advance. The only reason I first brought up being Ivy League on this forum and continue to mention it is because according to posters on City Data all Blacks especially if they were born in NYC are elementary school drop outs. If that wasn't the attitude of many people here I would never have mentioned my educational background.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Given the world is still evolving, I wonder how long the wasp can afford to sustain their choice of relaxed parenting, because that yuppy parenting style is ineffective at large in promoting the full potential of an individual to prepare him/her to cope with an increasingly competitive world.

Also, skin color is often falsely blamed for race discrimination by the public who fail to recognize that skin color is nothing more than a group label to tell which group is better off in a society. Discrimination comes in all forms, but often is based on the socioeconomic status which one individual/group is associated with. This is evident in many monoracial European countries where discrimination is abundant between the rich and poor but no civil rights movement ever evolved as here in the US because the societal inequality is within the same race. Believe me, if one day the social ladder in the US flipped with blacks like you at the upper end, the whites will feel being discriminated against.
Not all WASPS have relaxed parenting. Some kids have to take tests to get into kindergarten, and there are WASPs that subject their kids to that.

To me Wasp is an outdated term. In an era where Chelsea Clinton married a Jewish guy (of Eastern European descent) and Jeb Bush married an Mexican Catholic, I don't think whites make that much of a distinction from each other. Many WASPs probably have Catholic or Jewish relatives.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:07 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
1) Yale, Harvard, Princeton... all private, not public. Riverdale, Horace Mann, and countless other excellent private schools - all run as businesses. So what the hell are you talking about? Don't let the facts get in the way of your dogma.

2) Virtually every sphere where there are both government-run and "privately" run entities performing the same service, the privately-run entity excels. Don't get the job done? Your charter sinks. The traditional schools not getting the job done? Carry on......

Politics and drama. NYC Charter schools are doing well. Fix NYC traditional public schools - I'm all for that. Unfortunately the energy is being expended on...drama and politics. Screw the kids, I'm in a political argument and I wanna win!
Yale, Harvard, and Princeton are not run as businesses. They are non-profit educational institutions with sizable endowments that don't require them to operate by the skin of their teeth.

Charter schools, as you discuss, are also not private businesses, as they are funded by taxpayer dollars which are awarded to schools. The charter is an exemption to some NYSED rules.

Riverdale and Horace Mann are excellent academies, but if they were forced to charge 0 tuition and accept students in their neighborhoods based on a lottery, the results would definitely change. They are a luxury good, one that isn't an option for most people.

Stuyvesant and Bronx Science are also excellent schools, publicly run and operated- but given open enrollment you may also see some changes. For the results that come out of their school you'd have to admit the faculty is grossly underpaid.

The issue you bring up between government-run and private entities- is an important one.
There are some sectors of work the government picks up because there would be no profit in doing so in the private sector.

Teaching poor misbehaved children is one of those.
Fixing NYC Public Schools is a daunting task, one that I'd best agree with Warren Buffet's advice upon :

“It’s easy to solve the problems of public education in America. All you have to do is outlaw private schools and assign every child to public school by lottery.”

Old 04-08-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Yale, Harvard, and Princeton are not run as businesses. They are non-profit educational institutions with sizable endowments that don't require them to operate by the skin of their teeth.

Charter schools, as you discuss, are also not private businesses, as they are funded by taxpayer dollars which are awarded to schools. The charter is an exemption to some NYSED rules.

Riverdale and Horace Mann are excellent academies, but if they were forced to charge 0 tuition and accept students in their neighborhoods based on a lottery, the results would definitely change. They are a luxury good, one that isn't an option for most people.

Stuyvesant and Bronx Science are also excellent schools, publicly run and operated- but given open enrollment you may also see some changes. For the results that come out of their school you'd have to admit the faculty is grossly underpaid.

The issue you bring up between government-run and private entities- is an important one.
There are some sectors of work the government picks up because there would be no profit in doing so in the private sector.

Teaching poor misbehaved children is one of those.
Fixing NYC Public Schools is a daunting task, one that I'd best agree with Warren Buffet's advice upon :

“It’s easy to solve the problems of public education in America. All you have to do is outlaw private schools and assign every child to public school by lottery.”
Fortunately it's unconstitutional to outlaw private schools, and Congress (who sends their own children to private schools) would never do such a thing.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:20 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
"Hey guys I think Social Darwinism is a good idea!"
And That is precisely what they want.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:05 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

Yes, that would do it.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, that would do it.
It reminds me of a story I heard on NPR after the financial crisis.
A big finance guy who had written an important book said, America is the only country in the world that would propose solving an urgent crisis in capitalism with ... more, and more aggressive, capitalism.

And that's exactly what happened. Education is just a part.
So while it would indeed work this is not likely to happen.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:40 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It reminds me of a story I heard on NPR after the financial crisis.
A big finance guy who had written an important book said, America is the only country in the world that would propose solving an urgent crisis in capitalism with ... more, and more aggressive, capitalism.

And that's exactly what happened. Education is just a part.
So while it would indeed work this is not likely to happen.
The market will fix everything--for the people that matter anyway...

Old 04-08-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The market will fix everything--for the people that matter anyway...
But some have consciences and speak up.
And trust me that the others do not matter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City