Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,126 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to NYC.I don't drive and don't want to have to depend on family members for rides everywhere,I want to save up ten thousand dollars first, then move. My question is, do you guys feel that ten thousand dollars is enough money to have saved up before the move?Is that enough money to cover expenses until I find a job?Or perhaps I should live in a hotel in New York or Atlantic city and just work in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 01:29 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1234 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to NYC.I don't drive and don't want to have to depend on family members for rides everywhere,I want to save up ten thousand dollars first, then move. My question is, do you guys feel that ten thousand dollars is enough money to have saved up before the move?Is that enough money to cover expenses until I find a job?Or perhaps I should live in a hotel in New York or Atlantic city and just work in NYC?
Should last you a few months...too many variables for anyone here to answer you correctly.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:42 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
it wont last long.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:25 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1234 View Post
you've done 0 research.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:35 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Possibly, IF you're organized, prepared, and are pretty sure you can get a job (i.e. you're adequately educated and adequately skilled).

Old 04-09-2015, 02:36 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Before you do anything, rent, stream or buy a DVD of the 1969 movie, "Midnight Cowboy" about a naive Texas stud who travels to NYC with very little money and a dream about how he'll prosper. That was made in an era when you could live in Manhattan on a very modest income. $10,000 today is the inflation adjusted equivalent of $1,565 in 1969

Old 04-09-2015, 02:42 PM

69 posts, read 157,204 times
Remember, it isn't a tv show like Sex in the City or Seinfeld where the main characters have these insane apartments and virtually have no high paying jobs. They then go into the city and live the glam life too.

It's shoeboxes that cost 1000+ with roommates. If you can handle that, then you would probably really love the city.

The living in a hotel and mentioning Atlantic City is also a dead giveaway that you have plenty more to learn about the area before you make any sort of decision.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:18 PM

162 posts, read 181,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Should last you a few months...too many variables for anyone here to answer you correctly.
I agree. Too many variables. What I'm going to type will appear condescending, but it's honestly not.

Let's assume you:
--Have all the correct work- and cold-weather clothes you need.
--Have all the "apartment stuff" you need.
--You know someone here (that's what it sounded like).
--Won't need to spend a dime on moving costs. Wait... won't need to spend a solitary penny.
--Can spend enough time in the city looking for an apartment.
--Can find a $1,500 studio.

Are you familiar with the soul-crushing evil that surrounds the NYC apartment-rental market? Do you need a co-signer? If you're even lucky enough to find someone willing to rent you the above-mentioned studio, you're looking at a minimum of $5,000 before you even get your keys. (Someone back me up here.)

Read this:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...oull-need.html

Do you realize how tough it can be getting a job in this market? Do you have contacts? Have you ever been extremely qualified to work as even the lowliest of restaurant servers and have management roll their eyes at you? Allow yourself at least another month without unemployment. Now you're at $6,500. Then you have to wait at least a week or two for your first paycheck.

Do you know how much more food costs here? I hope you live near a Trader Joe's, which has a nationwide pricing policy. If not, that box of cereal will cost you 6 bucks. Forget restaurant food for a while. Probably cart food, too.

How about transportation? Unless you can get by solely on the subway or train, you might end up shoveling money at cab drivers. And do you even know the intricacies of dealing with cabbies and black-car drivers? If you live outside the city, do you know commute times? Do you realize how many places outside the boroughs have a similar cost of living?

Insurance? Cell phone bill? Electric and gas bills?

Those people I assume you know here... can you crash with them if things go south? And are you prepared for the financial ramifications of breaking your lease?

I guess what I'm saying is... no way. I would never move here with only 10 grand. My wife and I switched apartments a couple years ago, and that's the exact about of cash we needed. I kept the receipts and almost framed them.

[Tough-love statement]: You haven't read enough. You haven't done enough math. Revisit this when you have at least $20,000 and a job already locked down.

Last edited by Employable; 04-09-2015 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City