Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 AM

47 posts, read 36,840 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice. We are currently looking to sell our house and move into a new neighborhood, preferably in a good school district, near the subways and walkable to nearby restaurants and shops. Our budget is about $1-1.1 million. We would like to buy a 2 family house for the rental income.

Our wants:
- great school district
- near the subways
- walkable to nearby restaurants and shops

We have thus far looked at Rego Park and Sunnyside.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 AM

231 posts, read 402,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLove1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice. We are currently looking to sell our house and move into a new neighborhood, preferably in a good school district, near the subways and walkable to nearby restaurants and shops. Our budget is about $1-1.1 million. We would like to buy a 2 family house for the rental income.

Our wants:
- great school district
- near the subways
- walkable to nearby restaurants and shops

We have thus far looked at Rego Park and Sunnyside.

Thanks!
You could get a nice house on the water in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn for that. Nice very old school neighborhood with lots of nice row homes and old mansions. Stay in the higher street numbers (try to be below 86th street, but definitely avoid 68-75 it's still safe but the neighborhood is denser with lots of new immigrants from the Arab world and more apartment buildings plus there is spillover from sunset park which isn't very nice) and west towards the water by colonial road, shore road. I would imagine elementary and middle school would be fine but most who can afford it send their kids to one of the parochial schools like Xaverian for HS. You have the R on 4th avenue.

Most of the other neighborhoods that have nice houses and are family oriented aren't close to the train. Manhattan Beach has nice houses right on the water and it's a short bus ride to the B express which is a short ride to Manhattan, the high school is either Lincoln or Madison both of which aren't great. The neighborhood is very Jewish/Russian but if you're looking at Rego Park I don't think you mind.

To be honest though, if you want an area that you can feel okay about sending kids to public school through high school, look on Staten Island. Nice neighborhoods in brooklyn will probably have decent PS/IS because those pull from smaller areas and will reflect the area but most high schools have a big district which usually includes some bad neighborhoods (like how Lincoln pulls from the nice Russian areas but also from the Coney Island pjs). No subway on SI but if you live along Hylan you have the express bus which is so much easier you can relax in a comfy seat and get dropped close to work, lots of little authentic italian places, and if you get in the Tottenville HS district you have one of the safest schools in NYC it's comparable to somewhere in a nice part of Jersey (also my alma mater :P) for over a mill like you want to spend you can get a big, newish custom big house with a yard and a pool with solid neighbors.

I know nothing about Queens schools but Forest Hills is also nice, someone else can chime in on the schools there.

Really city like areas aren't usually family friendly unless you can shell out for private come HS IMO. The more suburban the better the schools and stuff, Bay Ridge is the only exception with all the shopping and the R train.

I just noticed you want a 2 family, do you mean an attached house or a home with a granny flat?

Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Forest Hills has better schools than Sunnyside or Rego Park.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:51 PM

47 posts, read 36,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
You could get a nice house on the water in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn for that. Nice very old school neighborhood with lots of nice row homes and old mansions. Stay in the higher street numbers (try to be below 86th street, but definitely avoid 68-75 it's still safe but the neighborhood is denser with lots of new immigrants from the Arab world and more apartment buildings plus there is spillover from sunset park which isn't very nice) and west towards the water by colonial road, shore road. I would imagine elementary and middle school would be fine but most who can afford it send their kids to one of the parochial schools like Xaverian for HS. You have the R on 4th avenue.

Most of the other neighborhoods that have nice houses and are family oriented aren't close to the train. Manhattan Beach has nice houses right on the water and it's a short bus ride to the B express which is a short ride to Manhattan, the high school is either Lincoln or Madison both of which aren't great. The neighborhood is very Jewish/Russian but if you're looking at Rego Park I don't think you mind.

To be honest though, if you want an area that you can feel okay about sending kids to public school through high school, look on Staten Island. Nice neighborhoods in brooklyn will probably have decent PS/IS because those pull from smaller areas and will reflect the area but most high schools have a big district which usually includes some bad neighborhoods (like how Lincoln pulls from the nice Russian areas but also from the Coney Island pjs). No subway on SI but if you live along Hylan you have the express bus which is so much easier you can relax in a comfy seat and get dropped close to work, lots of little authentic italian places, and if you get in the Tottenville HS district you have one of the safest schools in NYC it's comparable to somewhere in a nice part of Jersey (also my alma mater :P) for over a mill like you want to spend you can get a big, newish custom big house with a yard and a pool with solid neighbors.

I know nothing about Queens schools but Forest Hills is also nice, someone else can chime in on the schools there.

Really city like areas aren't usually family friendly unless you can shell out for private come HS IMO. The more suburban the better the schools and stuff, Bay Ridge is the only exception with all the shopping and the R train.

I just noticed you want a 2 family, do you mean an attached house or a home with a granny flat?
We looked at Forest Hills but we couldn't afford the houses there on our budget. We are looking for a 2 family attached house for additional rental income. Thanks for your input!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
Astoria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City