Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 70,443 times

Advertisements

So for the last 2 months my landlord has not been cashing my rent checks. They've always cashed them within days of me sending them normally. The timing is pretty curious. Just before September's rent they came to me trying to offer me another apartment somewhere, which I refused as I've lived here with my mom my whole life. I'm in a rent stabilized apt. and my rent rates are pretty good (below market I'd say). Our lease is also up on 12/31/12. Does this sound fishy to any of you? Can they pull anything and have us evicted by saying they never received anything?

My last rent check was sent via certified mail just so I have proof that they received it. Is there anything else I should be doing? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
I'm no expert or even half knowledgable on rent control, so I won't comment on that.

I would do the math on what benefit the landlord gets from moving your apt to market rate and then figure out through market knowledge what lengths they would go to to get you out. Think like the other side. Doesn't mean you have to move but get the best offer out of them.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Your landlord has a duty to notify you if you're late on your rent. At a certain point (not sure exactly when) they forfeit the right to claim you did not pay rent for a certain month if they don't alert you to the lack of payment. So, while this may be a ploy, it certainly won't work.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Keep a good written record. Have witnesses to everything you do. Write to the landlord, certified return receipt requested, telling him you are concerned about your rent checks not being cashed in a timely fashion.

He is probably trying to establish a pattern of late payment or non-payment for which he can seek an eviction.

Continue sending all checks via certified mail.

Let me guess: you are paying a lot less than market rent. (Now WHY did I suspect that? )

Talk to fellow rent stabilized tenants and see if landlord is hosing THEM arround too.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 70,443 times
My mom heard today that another tenant which they've tried to pressure out had his rent check returned to him. She heard this from a 3rd party and not directly from that tenant so I don't know the full story there. I called yesterday and they said to call back today between 12-4 when the bookeeper is in.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
I've heard of this in a case recently from a friend in Brooklyn, where the landlord didn't cash the rent checks for 5 months, then tried to cash them all at once. When one of the tenant's checks bounced because they weren't holding 5x the month's rent in their checking account, eviction process began. The landlord wanted to get everyone out, had even offered $ that had been refused, and this was his next attempt.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
These landlords are a really special bunch, aren't they?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:06 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I've heard of this in a case recently from a friend in Brooklyn, where the landlord didn't cash the rent checks for 5 months, then tried to cash them all at once. When one of the tenant's checks bounced because they weren't holding 5x the month's rent in their checking account, eviction process began. The landlord wanted to get everyone out, had even offered $ that had been refused, and this was his next attempt.
Once you write a check, the money is spent. If you have checks outstanding you better be holding the money for it.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Once you write a check, the money is spent. If you have checks outstanding you better be holding the money for it.

That's why that trick only worked for one of the not so bright tenants.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
These landlords are a really special bunch, aren't they?
Correction KK, Rent Control/Rent Stabilized Landlords are a special bunch. But ask yourself why? Just know that exclusively Landlords of Rent Control and Rent Stabilization tenants have to resort to such extremes, even to wish death on the low rent paying tenant. That's the "monster" NYC Rent Control laws creates.

Landlords of free market apartments DON'T have to resort to such extremes and wish death on the tenant. All they have to do is if the tenant is a deadbeat, NOT renew the lease when it expires and the Landlord's headache goes away.

HOWEVER, in the twisted world of NYC Rent Control/RS, that same deadbeat tenant is ENTITLED to get his lease renewed despite the Landlord's wish. And the problem persist. Hence why ONLY Rent Control/Rent Stabilization Landlords go to those extremes. Thank Rent Stabilization for making your life a living hell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: