Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 03:10 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
There are hot ones, cute ones, good looking ones, smart ones, ok ones, middle of he road ones, skinny ones, fat ones, dark ones, pale ones, tall ones, short ones and everything else. NYC has so many people, you find it all.

I have to say, though, that being a straight male has its advantages. 60% of the city is female. Of the 40% of males, half are gay. So the 20% of us that are straight males have it made! As long as you are not a slob and have some kind of job, girls will throw themselves at you.
80/20 rule in NYC is very real. Besides DC, NYC is the only other place in the country where 80/20 rule in dating is actually real. 80% of women probably your average woman wants the most physically attractive guy.

I'm surprised that so many men on here have their heads in the clouds. Women in NYC who are really hot tend to be a he-she or an transsexual or Transgender. That's the reason why I no longer go crazy for a hot woman anymore, because that hot woman you see walking on the highline in Chelsea is probably a dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 09:57 AM

491 posts, read 375,503 times
Quote:
There are hot ones, cute ones, good looking ones, smart ones, ok ones, middle of he road ones, skinny ones, fat ones, dark ones, pale ones, tall ones, short ones and everything else. NYC has so many people, you find it all.

I have to say, though, that being a straight male has its advantages. 60% of the city is female. Of the 40% of males, half are gay. So the 20% of us that are straight males have it made! As long as you are not a slob and have some kind of job, girls will throw themselves at you.
i would agree with this. there is definitely an advantage to being a single hetero male in the city based on numbers alone. there is also a myth that nyc men are generally good looking. there are pockets of really well put together men who fit the GQ mold with classic looks and the gay community is very good looking, but for the most part, you visit any company, you'll see many hetero men losing their hairline, huge noses, and rounding waistlines by the time they're in their 30's. i've worked at several high profile financial firms, and the stereotypical nyc male is balding and round, but they all have gf's or wives.

as you said, it's about financial security, and at least a minimum standard of style.

the only problem is that many young females in nyc don't really go out as much as the men. if you walk into a bar, you won't find that 80 to 20 female/male ratio. i found they lurk in other gatherings that isn't typically associated with the dating scene. this has alot to do with costs of living in the city.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:00 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:

Lol at you thinking half of the men in NYC are gay

Old 07-23-2016, 10:06 AM

491 posts, read 375,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm surprised that so many men on here have their heads in the clouds. Women in NYC who are really hot tend to be a he-she or an transsexual or Transgender. That's the reason why I no longer go crazy for a hot woman anymore, because that hot woman you see walking on the highline in Chelsea is probably a dude.
the city isn't known for classic beauties, the "hot" girls look like used strippers.. there are far more beautiful women in the south and the sunbelt as you mentioned, totally agree. way i see it is, when a female in the city believes she is a cut above the rest, she develops arrogance and thinks she deserves everything, the best male candidates, the best life. it becomes a social hierarchy, and the men fall for it, and think that girl is that much more beautiful than she actually is. objectively if you would take the better looking women in nyc and compare to rest of country, most of them are just slightly above avg. the same goes for men. i am often appalled at what nyc women consider handsome. they must really like huge noses aka "dickface" and i believe they are suckers to what the media present to them as "good looking".

i've traveled to england, seoul, paris, africa, south america, carribean, everywhere. korean girls in seoul are 10x more beautiful than ones in the city. same goes for french, indian, puerto rican, english girls etc. the disparity in looks is huge.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 07-23-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-23-2016, 10:08 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
95% of these observations are in your head

Old 07-23-2016, 11:45 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,593 times
Quote:
What I find interesting is that lots of these women are single. I'm in a relationship with one who is such.
You're in a relationship with a woman that's single?!

Old 07-23-2016, 12:19 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,669 times
Quote:
80/20 rule in NYC is very real. Besides DC, NYC is the only other place in the country where 80/20 rule in dating is actually real. 80% of women probably your average woman wants the most physically attractive guy.
Depends on the age bracket. You statement is generally true for people in their 20's. The game flips once you reach 30's. NYC is a very competitive environment, many successful working women are financially independent that they can be very selective when it comes to picking their male partner until their 30's. Given attractive men have less rigid standard for the type of women they will sleep with compared to the one they are willing to marry, many average looking women hold on to the possibility of marrying a very physically attractive guy until they are in their 30's. I see many average looking guys in their 30's turn into high school boy level of maturity due to feeling of joy of finally becoming the popular kid in high school at that age bracket.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:26 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
Beauty is where you find it,
And most definitely in the eye of the beholder.
Beauty IMO, is
a % symmetrical , well balanced and healthy. mindful of her chemistry.
% behavior,
% communications. articulates thoughts clearly and have foundation.
% creativity/curiosity . her children can come to her with real problems and get reasonable solutions .knows the difference between parenthood and friendship.
% intellect /teach ability. not competitive against her mate but as a team with her mate.
% humor/banter /confidence ,secure in her thinking, self worth . a man/woman has got to know their limits.
% humility . smart enough to let some one be, that simply want's to argue.
% honesty /integrity .
To know if one has a lasting beauty, look at their parents ,it will tell volumes.
These is whom they learned to be, who they are, and will be.
What a woman provides her man to look at for a life time matters.
Both age, but there is no reason to give up ones trying to be attractive to their mate.
He wont usually give up, till she gives up. (but that's not in stone)

Old 07-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Women in NYC who are really hot tend to be a he-she or an transsexual or Transgender. That's the reason why I no longer go crazy for a hot woman anymore, because that hot woman you see walking on the highline in Chelsea is probably a dude.
Lol I really hope you were being sarcastic because that has got to be the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard from anyone about hot women in NYC

I also disagree that women go only for attractive guys. I live in Murray Hill, work in the West Village and party in SoHo/TriBeCa/LES/EV/Meatpacking all the time...and one of the consistent themes me and buddies have noticed over many years is how many beautiful women you see with guys that are utterly average looking. Certainly there are situations in which good looking guys (and only good looking guys) do well such as dating apps a la Tinder and the club scene, but spend some time walking around the city and you'll see what I mean. It's actually quite rare to come across a truly beautiful couple in which both the girl and the guy are very attractive. They do exist of course but I'll wager that for each such couple there's dozens if not more where one is noticeably better looking than the other.

What I have found though is that at least for the people living in Manhattan below 96th, pedigree makes a huge difference in who they hang out with, who they date and how they meet other people. In that regard (and this has been touched upon in other threads on CD before) I find Manhattan to be quite clique-ish and segregated. You have the yuppies that go to elite schools and then move in to areas such as Murray Hill or whatever and from the get go they have their social networks already set up and tend to meet and socialize exclusively within those circles, and if you're an outsider it's tough if not impossible to break in. By way of an example, I have a younger cousin who knows in some way or another literally everyone in her entire 7-story walkup (she's in her early 20s) as they all went to the same school or were linked to each other through friends or friends of friends. She moved in from Boston to the city a few years ago and has never had a need to make new friends or venture outside her network because it's already quite large. I'm not generalizing from just one example of course as I've noticed the same thing over and over many times with others as well.

I'll also second the observation that while on the one hand you see an insane number of beautiful women all over Manhattan (I don't hang out all that much in the outer boroughs, sorry), on the other, proportionately speaking there are cities elsewhere that have a greater number of attractive women. Poland (Krakow and Wroclaw) comes to mind (as someone else already mentioned previously), but I also remember visiting Zurich, Switzerland some years ago and I'd say at least half of the women there were straight up model material. Extremely good looking and very, very well dressed.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I see many average looking guys in their 30's turn into high school boy level of maturity due to feeling of joy of finally becoming the popular kid in high school at that age bracket.
True, although the exceptions bear mentioning. I know a number of extremely successful Indian- and Asian-American guys in their 30s - the kind who on paper at least should have a line of women vying for their attention - that can't even get a date. These are not awkward, socially inept nerds either - they're regular guys, in decent shape, pulling in 6 figs with advanced degrees from Columbia, Oxford etc. They struggle because many women regard non-white men negatively when it comes to dating/marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City