Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:32 PM

34,135 posts, read 47,370,075 times

Advertisements

the kids he made friends with are probably chumps....at least the girl gave him her math, and he gets a date from all of this.

seriously pepper spray's illegal? i know stores that sell it......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 02:34 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,626,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
OP does mention that he's friends with some of the other 'nicer' kids in the hood.

He said
"On the plus side, the lady that umbrella'd those kids was 20 and gave me her number. And I am friends with a lot of the nicer, meeker high schoolers in the park, and even a few of the homies in town. It's a sucky spot."

Isn't it possible he's friends with the wrong kids - and that he unknowingly got involved in some sort of turf sh*t by hanging out with these "nicer" kids in the park?

just a thought. I am naive about this stuff which is why it's good I don't live in the hood.
That is what I was thinking too. You never want to hang out with these kids. Especially if you are new to the area. I know prices are expensive in the city and some people want to move to these poor neighborhoods for cheaper prices. But is not wise to hang out with these local kids. Alot of these kids are always fighting and some of them are in gangs. If I were the OP, I will just mind my own business and go from home to work and to the shops. Not get too social with these kids so much.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:48 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,007,351 times
Seventh..you are buying into the ghetto mindset too much. YES i am going to call the cops EVERYTIME a bottle is thown at me. You know why? Because when that kind of violence occurs AND IS REPORTED by community members they INCREASE patrols...which makes EVERYone safer. The more crime that is reported..the more accurate we can be with the stats, and the more attention can be provided to communities that need them. If you don't report problems..how do you intend on solving them? Or getting attention to them?

Don't buy into the idea that you can reason with these people, their families, or friends...because you can't. They probably come from a LONG LINE of criminals and ghetto wannabees....so the ONLY thing they answer to is the LAW. Get them off the streets and you WILL be safer. You should surely defend yourself..but dealing with them on their level will make you MORE unsafe, and will ultimately make things worse IMO. And my opinion is from someone who is a lifelong resident in Mott Haven directly across the street from LARGE housing projects.

I am way too old for these games....a bottle is thrown....or any such menacing activity/violence...the cops are there in UNDER 3 minutes these days...lookin for people to lockup. Do yourself and the community a favor..DON'T run, stand your ground, and go to the community and police for assistance...and you WILL feel better, and be safer.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM

191 posts, read 602,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
really....its ghetto mentality to stand up for yourself? my point is the OP should have asserted himself and he wouldnt have his problem to begin with.

case in point: my senior year of high school this kid tried to steal my chain after school. I chased his ass up the block, and the next week he was trying to be my friend. He had my respect and never tried me again after that.

Those kids'll be out in a year especially since they're juvies and prolly will be more knuckleheads to take their spot on the stoop in the meantime. i guess keep 911 on speed dial and call it a day.

and who used the term "holding it down"? not me.

how many of you actually live in the hood? a lot of you seem out of touch with reality and the way things go down. you dont have to hang around "the homies" for **** to happen. people will try you and you have to be prepared for it if it happens. maybe there's 5 of em and you do have to take an ass-whipping but if you stand up for yourself they'll know you not to be taken lightly, and at least u can walk wherever you want holding your head without fear. if u cant deal with it move to a better neighborhood then. thats the way the hood is sometimes. if you havent been through it then god bless you, you're lucky. but im from the hood and i had to go thru that **** sometimes but guess what im a better man for it and i can walk around my way no problem and i dont have to feel scared wherever i go around my way either. i can live in peace.
yea it was me who used "holdin it down". Im not an ignorant person, just street smart. I definitely feel what your saying here. I guess for the ones who never lived in the hood just might not know how to make things go a little smoother without getting clowned. I know when i was younger, there would be these kids when school got out, they would sometimes just shove me, start punchin me, kickin me, and guess what? I defended myself and let them know i wasn't gonna get sonned like that. Most of the time that happens when the kids or whoever are in groups of 3+. After defending myself week after week and month after month, them same dudes would not even look twice at me or when they were alone, i would look at them and be ready for a fight, and they would just nod their head with acceptance and keep it moving. It might not always be like this though, because there are always some so called thugs who truly do not care and will put a slug in you for no real reason. Anyway, bottom line, if your going to be a neighborhood pioneer, take precautionary action. Be ready for things like this, so when they happen, you will not be a victim and you will no longer be a moving target. and about the pepper spray.. there are check cashing joints all over queens and BK that sell them.. i did not know they were illegal either..

Old 01-22-2008, 03:13 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,007,351 times
Yes I agree that when you are kid this kind of nonsense and aggressive/dysfucntional behavior occurs in every community, every school, every neighborhood. It is a part of growing up in this society unfortunately.

However, this guy is 22 and way past the age where that BS is remotely "normal." Clearly they are taking the harassment to the next level and THAT is where it needs to be stopped by self defense AND the police. Not weeks and months of fights or whatever.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,377,020 times
Yeah I like the taser idea or possibly even pepper spray, but I think they are both illegal in the city.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM

14 posts, read 82,949 times
Are you kidding me? I'm not trying to sound insensitive but you mean to tell me that a girl came by, shook an umbrella at them and they went away but somehow, mysteriously YOU, a 6foot and change grown man let a bunch of teenagers run you out of a neighborhood where you're paying rent and taxes like everyone else? Give me a break. If I'm to believe this, which to be honest with you I'm having a hard time doing, I would tell you to first of all learn how to defend yourself because you should at least know how to do that in NYC for God's sake. Secondly if you haven't called the police already. Do so. If you're white they will most certainly respond to a bunch of kids esp. Black kids beating on a white person (and I'm not saying that to be racist I'm saying it because it's true). Third, I don't know anything about Inwood or Morningside, but as far as I know there is nothing wrong with Elmhurst but you might want to consider leaving the 718 altogether b/c teenagers certainly aren't the biggest threat in this city. As a woman with no children, no way, under any circumstances known to God would I let a bunch of teenage punks chase me away. Period.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:25 PM

318 posts, read 1,099,168 times
Iheartponeez, maybe it's best that you find a tamer neighborhood, if just for your own comfort and peace of mind. If you do decide that you want to stay in the neighborhood, you have to do something immediately at the first sign of trouble. You may think that calling the cops will only escalate the situation, but it seems to be your only option. (I can't foresee a good outcome with the pepper spray, taser or baseball bat.) I wouldn't take a cab home--it will let those kids know they've gotten to you and encourage more of the same. Are you going to take a cab to the bodega and dry cleaner too? As others have said, you have to learn to take a stand early on and unfortunately, the kids have pegged you as a target. Keep the phone in your hand and 911 on speed dial.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:26 PM

107 posts, read 148,598 times
Buy a gun and pull it out when they want to f*ck with you.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:04 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,377,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmusic View Post
Is it possible to remove reputation points from the previous poster?
but he was just keeping it real.

YouTube - Dave Chappelle-Keeping it real
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City