Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM

61 posts, read 194,760 times

Advertisements

My co-worker is visiting NYC for the first time and is excited that she got a good deal on staying in Bed-Stuy. I obviously did not want to alarm her with my half notions but is this a safe area for two young women who will be going into Manhattan most days to shop and coming back here at night. Last that I read, this was a rough place (centre of the crack epidemic) but in some quick reading it looks like this may have changed. Thought that I would post and get some people on the street answers while I look around some more for her.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 12:17 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
I know the area pretty well though not as much as Bushwick/Williamsburg or EastNY/Brownsville area... My two cents... It really depends on where she found the deal... unfortunately the areas that have had some decent gentrification are already getting expensive so If you say your friend found a deal i'd be skeptical as to how the surrounding neighborhood really is... Do you have a location so I can better advise whether it is okay or not...

IMO, the way you described your co-worker I would not recommend the area for her... Too many things can happen in that neighborhood no matter where you are to still be considered safe for a tourist who doesn't know the area well and may not have the street smarts necessary to be okay in that neighborhood...

Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 PM

34,009 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
My co-worker is visiting NYC for the first time and is excited that she got a good deal on staying in Bed-Stuy. I obviously did not want to alarm her with my half notions but is this a safe area for two young women who will be going into Manhattan most days to shop and coming back here at night. Last that I read, this was a rough place (centre of the crack epidemic) but in some quick reading it looks like this may have changed. Thought that I would post and get some people on the street answers while I look around some more for her.

Thanks.
Do you have a cross street or intersection for us? Bed-Stuy varies greatly. One block can be on the cover of a magazine and the next block can look like New Jack City.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-01-2011, 04:43 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Do you have a cross street or intersection for us? Bed-Stuy varies greatly. One block can be on the cover of a magazine and the next block can look like New Jack City.
That's true and most of Bed-Stuy is more like "New Jack City." I would stay away from it - by several miles.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the input. She told me that it is closer to the west end of the street (nearer to Classon/Bedford Street) than the east side of the street (Broadway).

Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
It is going to be a long while til Bed-Stuy becomes desirable.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 AM

On Madison Street specifically.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
That area is closer to Fort Greene and is generally OK but I wouldn't recommend them stay there unless they have some street smarts. I'd worry more about them looking out of place which could make them a target. I'm not sure how "late" they'll be coming back but they'd have to take the A train or pray finding cabs to take them back over there(Cabs tend to have a huge Brooklyn bias in my experience). The A has a bad reputation for good reason. The Nostrand stop is very busy and expect them to be cat-called a bit. If they really want to save money and to feel safe, have them look at some cheaper hotels off the 7 train in and around Sunnyside Queens. Quick shot into the city.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
It'd be nice to see some responses from people that actually LIVE in the area and not the ones that may or may not have driven by it once in the 1980s. I myself am buying a place on the western edge (eg Classon to Bedford) and love that section. New hipster-ish bars, restaurants, and coffee shops are popping all over the place. The old-timer residences that have lived there forever actually speak to you when you walk by (imagine that, friendly NYers). In fact, I chose that area over other places in my price range including Williamsburg and South Park Slope. I take most of the negative hype abotu Bed-Stuy with a grain of salt. Especially when it comes from people that DO NOT CURRENTLY LIVE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD. As a general rule, I only pay attention to the responses about a neighborhood from people that live or work in the area or visit it regularly. However, I will say that Bed-Stuy is a very large and different sections are more "comfortable" than others. Certainly if you tell us where in Bed-Stuy, we will be able to give you more direction on how "comfortable" or "uncomfortable" it may be for your friends. Oh, and for the record, I am a young, single woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City