Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:19 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times

Advertisements

i'm mad, and I don't even live with you. unacceptable. go. after. everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 PM

415 posts, read 513,911 times
As much as I'm loathe to give advice to tenants on how to deal with landlords, you seem like a decent person plus you have kids and that's a true hazard.

Any "hot" exposed BX cable (that's the big metal "wire" you see) is illegal in NYC. Not a just a violation but illegal (that's a big distinction as there are criminal implications involved).

Do you have direct access to you landlord? Tell him (or, her) what I just told you and if it's not fixed within a reasonable amount of time then you could call 911 (not 311) and say there's sparks coming out of your wall.

A Fire Marshall will threaten to arrest the person(s) responsible or fix within 24 or 48 hours.

Downside: your power will be shut off for that time.

Personally, I'd pay some handyman 50 bucks to fix it and then take a hammer to it the day you leave the apartment. 50 bucks ain't gonna change your life but the risk free satisfaction of taking a hammer to the wall = priceless.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:49 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I agree with Harlem Resident that you should start with a letter, just so you have something in writing as evidence. You can certainly try 311, but don't depend on them. I'm not really positive which would be the right department, but you can also start by calling the Public Advocate's office.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I agree with Harlem Resident that you should start with a letter, just so you have something in writing as evidence. You can certainly try 311, but don't depend on them. I'm not really positive which would be the right department, but you can also start by calling the Public Advocate's office.
311 is for the record of due diligence, which you must have. This holds up in court.
That said, HPD does indeed go out according to 311 complaints.

Forgot to mention for the OP - after making 311 complaints, go on to the HPD web site and make sure they are there, under "complaints." Once they inspect, they will register a violation - listed under "violations."

Old 06-25-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post

Personally, I'd pay some handyman 50 bucks to fix it and then take a hammer to it the day you leave the apartment. 50 bucks ain't gonna change your life but the risk free satisfaction of taking a hammer to the wall = priceless.
Right. This would considered vandalism to property and potentially get the OP into trouble.

In doing so s/he would also compromise whatever rights, waived rent and/or damages, whatever.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:51 PM
GMX

33 posts, read 33,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Right. This would considered vandalism to property and potentially get the OP into trouble.
Actually no. Not if the same damage is done. They didn't fix it, so they can't claim vandalism.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Actually no. Not if the same damage is done. They didn't fix it, so they can't claim vandalism.
Actually, yes.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uokspydr View Post
Here's a picture. I'm a long time lurker but a new member and I couldn't figure out how to attach it to the original post last night.
The hole look's bad call 311 and report the hole they will send an inspector from HPD, then HPD will contact.
Land lord, and give him a time frame to have it fixed, If you don't report this land lord might blame it on you.
And your kids...😮..

Old 06-25-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uokspydr View Post
The building isn't owned by the NYC housing authority. It isn't public or low income housing or anything, it's a private apartment building. Can NYCHA still do something about it? Sorry but I'm not really familiar with how this works I just know I want that damn hole fixed.
Call 311they handle calls for private own buildings, and NYCHA, ask the operator any question you have they
Will steer you in the right direction, 311will send an inspector to your apt. They also follow up on complaints...😕..

Old 06-25-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
311 is for the record of due diligence, which you must have. This holds up in court.
That said, HPD does indeed go out according to 311 complaints.

Forgot to mention for the OP - after making 311 complaints, go on to the HPD web site and make sure they are there, under "complaints." Once they inspect, they will register a violation - listed under "violations."
This is true,very good advise you will need to call 311,landlord will get a violation, which will hold up in court.
Once landlord get the violation he's obligated to have the repairs done, or pay a fine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: