Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times

Advertisements

I just found out from management that my apartment isn't stabilized because the legal rent had been over $2000 years ago even though I have never been charged this amount. I have lived here for 7 years now. Does this sound typical? I know I can contact DHCR for rent history but at this point, I'm not interested in challenging what he says because the increases are rather reasonable. However, they are not 0% based on the latest RS guidelines. It's just odd that for all the years I've lived here, he has stayed within the guidelines until now even though my apartment supposedly hasn't been stabilized the entire time.

Hopefully this thread doesn't degenerate into an argument about the merits of rent stabilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 10:17 AM

197 posts, read 517,438 times
Some people get confused, the 0% ONLY applies to the LEGAL RENT. So a landord cannot increase it, but if you are charged Preferential Rent or not Stabilized, that 0% wouldn't apply to your rent amount.

For example, Legal rent is 1900, preferential rent is 1200. I cannot increase the 1900 Legal Rent number, because of the 0% this year, but I can increase the 1200 Preferential amount to anything up to 1900.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:46 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I just found out from management that my apartment isn't stabilized because the legal rent had been over $2000 years ago even though I have never been charged this amount. I have lived here for 7 years now. Does this sound typical? I know I can contact DHCR for rent history but at this point, I'm not interested in challenging what he says because the increases are rather reasonable. However, they are not 0% based on the latest RS guidelines. It's just odd that for all the years I've lived here, he has stayed within the guidelines until now even though my apartment supposedly hasn't been stabilized the entire time.

Hopefully this thread doesn't degenerate into an argument about the merits of rent stabilization.
Do not deal with DHCR past rental histories anyway (it's the only venue for them) - housing court is always vastly preferable.

Landlords commonly try to mask status in order to get past the time thing. This is routinely challenged in court, and successfully, for that reason. They usually do stay within the guidelines because if they do not, they can owe you triple damages and even more for the overcharge once they are found out.

Because you said you do not know I am assuming they were not open with paperwork - the usual reason these things are overturned.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:49 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitmarsNY View Post
Some people get confused, the 0% ONLY applies to the LEGAL RENT. So a landord cannot increase it, but if you are charged Preferential Rent or not Stabilized, that 0% wouldn't apply to your rent amount.

For example, Legal rent is 1900, preferential rent is 1200. I cannot increase the 1900 Legal Rent number, because of the 0% this year, but I can increase the 1200 Preferential amount to anything up to 1900.
Another smoke screen exists in the phenomena of "preferential rents." These are usually based on claimed renovations, which are never inspected. There are probably landlords who are honest with this but there are also many who are not.

And yeah ... I know very well what they are. No need for anyone to explain.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:52 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitmarsNY View Post

This point right here should end this discussion.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:57 PM

31,899 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:

Pipe: Preferential Rents | Metropolitan Council on Housing

Old 07-03-2015, 06:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:

Seems pretty likely your landlord is a crook.
Write DHCR and check...nothing to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City