Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,820 times

Advertisements

Please pass this on to your neighbors and friends, especially renters in controlled or stabilized units.

CITY-WIDE RALLY
FAIR RENT NOW!
Close the vacancy decontrol loophole!

When the rent in vacant apartments can be raised to $2,000 a month, landlords can jack the rent as high as they want.
This is known as vacancy decontrol.

The state legislature can end this – now is the time!

Hold politicians accountable:
END vacancy decontrol

• Housing Here and Now Rally
  • Tue. Dec 9th, 6:30-8:30 PM
  • Society for Ethical Culture
2 W. 64th St, at Central Park West

#1 to 66th St; A,B,C,D to Columbus Circle

To RSVP or for more info, including info on free transportation from the outer boroughs,
call (718) 246-7900 x247 or
email info@housinghereandnow.org

Spanish translation provided.

Childcare available.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:46 AM

106,706 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i hope who ever goes has the city come to their place of employment and tell them they have to work for less than what their position pays or they come and put a limit on the income your business can earn you

sorry,thats how i feel about this crap

Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 AM

And when i come to your store i expect my 20% discount even if its below your cost because i lived on the same block as your store for many years. forget the fact i have more money then you do and earn more

Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 AM

824 posts, read 2,792,095 times
Although it is un-PC, I agree with mathjak107. I'm tired of people acting like it is a moral outrage everytime the rent stabilization board approves a 3% rent increase. I'm tired of peope acting like it is their god-given right to live in New York City at below-market rent.

There has to be better affordable housing solutions than the current arrangement.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:32 AM

WHY THANK YOU! usually everyone thinks only they have a right to earn a living, not anyone who owns property.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
The villainization of all landlords as dastardly players on the real estate scene looking to exploit all tenants is a fallacy. There are more good than bad landlords, and if the price that they can rent the unit is fixed, then the price at which services and utilities they provide should be fixed as well (fuel, electric, maintenance, renovations, etc.). Now, some may say that is unfair, fixing costs on the landlords, but if we are creating a market with a shortage and further regulating rental controls, we should address both sides of the equation. The goal of stabilization was to prevent out of control rents, not artifically sustain them to the whims of political pressure and create an untenable situation for landlords. Stabilization is not rent control, and movement within a stabilized pricing structure should be anticipated.

Rent is not an arbitrary figure decided upon by someone who wants to maximize profits, otherwise all units would be $10k a month and up, but it's a reflection of what the market will bear. An artificial ceiling can create a per unit deficit situation if the rent does not cover costs. That has to be balanced by other units in the landlord's portfolio, or the landlord runs the risk of the business going bankrupt. If that were to happen, the units will be foreclosed upon, and no amount of regulation will prevent eviction as the bank sells the property in foreclosure to recover costs. While extreme, that could easily happen, especially to smaller companies who have stabilized units and who receive no cost increase as approved by the rental board.

And, given the history of such situation in the past, given parts of the Bronx and Harlem in the 1960s and 1970s with burned out buildings that the landlords could not run for a profit, it's not a situation that should be replicated. Stabilization is a mechanism whereby costs are mitigated for a period of time or until a certain amount in rent is reached, not to guarantee tenancy for life at a specified sum. If that were the goal of the legislation, then the costs of the landlord should be fixed in perpetuity as long as the tenant is in the unit. In, and of itself, it is not a bad policy, but expanding it or increasing the dollar amount where units leave legislative oversight, will add to the city's already glaring housing shortage and push rents up on market rate units. This can lead to more gentrification and displacement in the long term as well.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 AM

no rentals have been built in nyc for decades, only co-ops and condos as no landlord wants to get involved subsidizing peoples housing costs

end result fewer rentals, higher rents across the board for all but the lucky few who have held an apartment for years ... we all suffer because of it and pay more rent then if supply was greater.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 AM

821 posts, read 1,040,167 times
Affordable Housing should be a human right.
I understand the frustration of small and big time landlords trying to compete with the cost of taxes and heating gas, but that is more of an issue with the government policies and the oil companies. It shouldn't be given to the responsibility of the struggling renters.
Having an apartment in NYC should not be considered a luxury.
We need stronger rent protection to ensure the right to live in one's home at a decent rate.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM

you would like to think that but its sooooooo far from realty. being a landlord is a business just like your job

Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you would like to think that but its sooooooo far from realty. being a landlord is a business just like your job
Exactly, what I'm trying to say is that the landlord business needs to make a transformation from greed to providing a humane service. Certain things should not be a profit business, such as health care and pharmaceuticals, education, and housing.
All of those categories above should provide a federalized basic for all individuals. Any one who wishes to live above the basic standard will pay extra. Until then we need to have protection as renters to live in our homes. The greed is too tempting for landlords and they will do almost anything to get a tenant out, even break the law.
There are cases where landlords have murdered and attempted to murder tenants to get them out. that is sick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City