Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Yes it is true you can't simply get rid of the tenants, but there are ways. For example, provide just the minimal maintenance on the building and let it fall into disrepair, or in the last case scenario just buy-out the tenants out of their leases (whats going on in prime areas right now where the gap in rents is very wide and it makes financial sense). In any way, if there is enough money in it, there are always ways to cash out. The people like Harlem resident, who act like its their God-given right to live on someone else's property in the most expensive city in the US and pay below market rates are gonna be in for a rude awakening in the long run.
Which is EXACTLY why advocacy groups are educating tenants. This is against the law, and significant neglect is legally termed harassment. Harassment lends itself rather rapidly to damage payments to impacted tenants. So many people in living in regulated units have been disenfranchised for so long that a kind of fatal acceptance is built in. This is changing, though, and education is helping to bring about this change.

Big companies buying buildings ...? Great ! More money to go around. How many times have I seen that, for better or worse.

Hint for all of you "little landlord" types: This is all part of the plan. You actually have far more in common with your regulated tenants than you do with the big capital that is busily pushing you out. Suffice to say here that you are most decidedly NOT a part of the plan and you had better smarten up enough to recognize the actual enemy.

Those landlords who bought within the glimmer of predatory potential will be "stuck," and that's perfectly fair. The last owner of record bears the responsibility. Many TIL programs have evolved out of the implications of this greed, and (again) education is helping the tenants in such buildings manage it all after the fact.

Odd that the truly ignorant fail to acknowledge that the biggest group of god-given right folk are the real estate investors themselves. And only the most minor people there do not acknowledge that fact, as I have observed many times. Something like the new (and always minor) money thing as opposed to significant capital. The latter group does know the deal, so to speak. And they actually do believe that they are superior given their often ill-retained wealth. Too bad so few people encounter them in real life. It would be quite an education for some of you, speaking of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 09:32 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Suffice to say here that you are most decidedly NOT a part of the plan and you had better smarten up enough to recognize the actual enemy.
The "actual enemy" are people who live on other working class peoples money and don't contribute their fair share or provide for themselves even when they are able. I don't rent, and I personally have no problems with landlords or developers big or small, or renters who pay the fair price. If you can afford to pay and you do it with your own money, great!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
The "actual enemy" are people who live on other working class peoples money and don't contribute their fair share or provide for themselves even when they are able. I don't rent, and I personally have no problems with landlords or developers big or small, or renters who pay the fair price. If you can afford to pay and you do it with your own money, great!
Right ... and I suppose you are claiming that you are a "working class person" who made good, without the inherited money or property that is the case for very few.

Given this, I will be sure to mention your canonically important status to the people I know around who are, in fact, working class. I would suggest to you that you experience a bit of gratitude and try to help the people who did not experience your good fortune. Whatever it was.

Such a typical attitude. Blame the people just above and just below, not even a vague view of the bigger picture - which, granted, is increasingly the privilege of a very small group.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:50 AM

15,869 posts, read 14,487,406 times
The Republicans gave away the store on the rent regulation renewal. They should have demanded that the vacancy decontrol threshold drop back to $2,000, impose a minimum increase of the lesser of 2%/4% or the percentage increase of the average of property taxes and water/sewer rates.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Right ... and I suppose you are claiming that you are a "working class person" who made good, without the inherited money or property that is the case for very few.

Given this, I will be sure to mention your canonically important status to the people I know around who are, in fact, working class. I would suggest to you that you experience a bit of gratitude and try to help the people who did not experience your good fortune. Whatever it was.

Such a typical attitude. Blame the people just above and just below, not even a vague view of the bigger picture - which, granted, is increasingly the privilege of a very small group.
I am working class. I immigrated into this country with my parents when I was 11 years old. In high school I worked as a waiter and handing out flyers. I was able to save up enough money to pay for CUNY college + have some savings on the side. (As a high school/college kid my expenses were literally college tuition and the cheapest cell phone plan with no data, the rest of the money went into savings.) After I graduated I got a job and my own place and the rest is history.
As a side note, my parents who came into this country not speaking English, bought a condo in Brooklyn after 10 years here (I moved out by that point). My dad was working 2 jobs and my mom was working as well.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I am working class. I immigrated into this country with my parents when I was 11 years old. In high school I worked as a waiter and handing out flyers. I was able to save up enough money to pay for CUNY college + have some savings on the side. (As a high school/college kid my expenses were literally college tuition and the cheapest cell phone plan with no data, the rest of the money went into savings.) After I graduated I got a job and the rest is history.
Hey, no doubt ... but you should gain an awareness that this is impossible for many people now.

Or, if you had the smarts and determination to do this - be grateful. Most people do not have either and this is just an accident of birth, genetics, biology ... what have you.

You could have been born a very different person but the universe gave you all sorts of things. Likely in addition good parents, and again, too many people did not have this.

Do you have a job ? That's great ! And a piece of luck. I know a dozen union types who were unemployed forever and finally landed some ridiculous work-for-hire gigs with no health insurance or taxes paid.

There is a very small percentage of people who take advantage.
Most are just doing the best they can with very little. The luckier people should be kind and generous to everyone else while also avoiding being naive.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
In the outerboroughs perhaps, but in Manhattan the majority take advantage. People who have the salary to pay market rate but for obvious reasons use the RS system to take an owner subsidized apartment

Old 06-30-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
In the outerboroughs perhaps, but in Manhattan the majority take advantage. People who have the salary to pay market rate but for obvious reasons use the RS system to take an owner subsidized apartment
It is an urban myth. I simply have not found this to be true - and this is not from reading statistics or anything else, but from knowing many many people for just as many years. I have definitely encountered people who had no business in regulated apartments but over the last ten years most of those, and there not even so many, are long gone. They took buyouts and got tired of dealing with predatory investment groups looking to develop "luxury" housing.

Moreover, there are not so many interesting people who want to live downtown anymore. Only silly and young transplants. Interesting life has dwindled there for that reason, although the branding machine does continue to insist on this long-gone vitality. Everyone else is only there because the situation works for them for whatever reason. There isn't any "New York" left, just an empty commodity object.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Most are just doing the best they can with very little. The luckier people should be kind and generous to everyone else while also avoiding being naive.
Why should I pay for people who:

- make over 100k a year living in RS apartments
- pay $500 to live in the most expensive neighborhoods in Manhattan
- have 4 grown able-bodied adults (where only 1 person works) paying only $1.2k for a 4 bedroom in the Bronx

I am sorry, I have no sympathy for these people at all. Elderly or disabled/unable to work, yes I agree they need help. The rest of these people, weed 'em out and kick them out. The fact that you can't screen income of RS tenants (or kick them out based on income) is ridiculous. The fact that you can "inherit" these apartments is ridiculous too.

As a side note, I am also against food stamps paying for soda or potato chips or other junk food. Food stamps should be for what they are meant for: make sure people don't starve/have enough money for a good/balanced and healthy diet. If you want soda (or anything else recreational), sure no problem, just pay with your own money for it, not with my money.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I am sorry, I have no sympathy for these people at all.
Not always a good idea, and never a good idea in a sheep year - or so my global investment banker neighbor from Shanghai tells me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City