Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:13 PM

57 posts, read 51,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Probably 99% of NYC residents couldn't name more than one player on the team. The Women's World Cup doesn't even have a long history. It began in 1991 under a different name. There's no connection to NYC other than some Rutgers players, and that's in New Jersey. What's next, a Serena Williams parade after she wins the Grand Slam?
They represent the United States of America which NY stats is a part of. The fact that it began in 91 and has been won by the US 3 times is amazing.

People like you make me sick to my stomach. Go back to whatever country you came from or where your ancestors came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 01:16 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineonce View Post
They represent the United States of America which NY stats is a part of. The fact that it began in 91 and has been won by the US 3 times is amazing.

People like you make me sick to my stomach. Go back to whatever country you came from or where your ancestors came from.
That's such a nasty comment to make on someone voicing their opinion.

The OP may be questioning where the 2 Million is coming from. I'd find it likely that there are enough sponsors and the city isn't going to take a hit on this.

Why in New York and not Washington, our nations cap. is another question to pose as the nature of a national team.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

The OP may be questioning where the 2 Million is coming from. I'd find it likely that there are enough sponsors and the city isn't going to take a hit on this.

Why in New York and not Washington, our nations cap. is another question to pose as the nature of a national team.
Maybe it was nasty but I'm pretty sick of peoples lack of patriotism in this country. I'm a proud American and if you don't support the country you should GTFO!

Whoops there I go being "nasty" again.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:23 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,174 times
Apparently everyone glanced over my post. Here, spelled out, is a smal list of all the people and groups that have received ticker tape parades in NYC. Note the amount of them that are not even Americans.

October 28 – Statue of Liberty dedication (impromptu).
April 29 – Centennial of George Washington's inauguration as first president of the United States
September 30 – Admiral Dewey, following return from Manila.
June 18 – Theodore Roosevelt, following return from his African safari.
September 8 – General Pershing, commander of American Expeditionary Force
October 3 – King Albert and Queen Elisabeth of Belgium
November 18 – Edward Albert, Prince of Wales.
April 2 – Albert Einstein, The only scientist to ever receive a ticker tape parade tribute.[2]
October 19 – General Armando Diaz, Italian commander.
October 28 – Ferdinand Foch, Marshal of France.
April 24 – Joseph Joffre, Marshal of France.
November 18 – Georges Clemenceau, former premier of France.
October 5 – David Lloyd George, former prime minister of the United Kingdom.
August 6 – U.S. Olympic athletes (Paris, Chamonix)
October 21 – Captain Paul C. Grening and the crew of the SS President Harding for heroic sea rescue.
February 16 – Captain George Fried and the crew of the SS President Roosevelt for heroic sea rescue.
May 27 – Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf and Crown Princess Louise of Sweden
June 23 – Commander Richard Byrd and Floyd Bennett, flight over the North Pole
July 2 – Bobby Jones, winner of the British Open golf tournament
August 27 – Gertrude Ederle, first woman to swim the English Channel
September 10 – Amelia Gade Corson, first mother and second woman to swim the English Channel
October 18 – Queen Marie of Romania.
June 13 – Charles Lindbergh, following solo transatlantic flight.
July 18 – "Double" parade for Commander Richard Byrd and the crew of the America; and for Clarence Chamberlin and Charles A. Levine following separate transatlantic flights.[3]
November 11 – Ruth Elder and George W. Haldeman following flight from New York City to the Azores.
January 20 – W. T. Cosgrave, President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State.
April 25 – Hermann Köhl, Major James Fitzmaurice, and Baron von Hünefeld following first westward transatlantic flight
August 22 – U.S. Olympic athletes.
May 4 – Prince Ludovico Spada Potenziani, governor of Rome
July 6 – Amelia Earhart, Wilmer Stulz, and Louis E. Gordon
September 20 – Aimé Tschiffely Swiss-Argentine Horse Rider from Buenos Aires to New York
October 16 – Hugo Eckener and the crew of the Graf Zeppelin
January 28 – Captain George Fried and the crew of the America for rescue of the Italian freighter Florida
October 4 – James Ramsay MacDonald, prime minister of the United Kingdom
May 26 – Marquis Jacques de Dampierre, passenger aboard the Lafayette
June 11 – Julio Prestes de Albuquerque, president-elect of Brazil.
June 18 – Rear Admiral Richard Byrd following expedition to Antarctica.
July 2 – Bobby Jones, winner of the British Amateur and British Open golf tournaments.
September 4 – Captain Dieudonne Coste and Maurice Bellonte following flight from Paris to New York City.
July 2 – Wiley Post and Harold Gatty following round-the-world flight.
October 22 – Pierre Laval, Prime Minister of France.
October 26 – Philippe Pétain, Marshal of France.
June 20 – Amelia Earhart Putnam following transatlantic flight.
July 21 – Air Marshal Italo Balbo and crew for flight from Rome to Chicago in 25 Italian seaplanes.
July 26 – Wiley Post following eight-day round-the-world flight.
August 1 – Captain James A. Mollison and his wife following westward transatlantic flight, from Wales to Connecticut.
September 3 – Jesse Owens following winning four gold medals in the 1936 Summer Olympics.
July 15 – Howard Hughes, following three-day flight around the world.
August 5 – Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan following flight from New York City to Ireland (he was scheduled to fly to California).
April 27 – Crown Prince Olav and Crown Princess Märtha of Norway.
May 1 – Rear Admiral Alfred W. Johnson, commander of the Atlantic Squadron.

....skiping over several decades to more recent history

January 30 – American hostages released from Iran.
August 15 – U.S. Summer Olympics medalists.
May 7 – Vietnam War veterans.
October 28 – New York Mets championship in the World Series.
June 20 – Nelson Mandela of South Africa.[4]
June 10 – Gulf War veterans.
June 25 – Korean War veterans.
June 17 – New York Rangers, winners of the Stanley Cup championship.
October 29 – New York Yankees championship in the World Series.
October 17 – Sammy Sosa, Chicago Cubs right fielder, who hit 66 home runs that season, and for helping with hurricane relief efforts in the Dominican Republic.
November 16 – John Glenn and astronauts of Space Shuttle Discovery mission STS-95.

...and so on...

Old 07-10-2015, 01:32 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,174 times
Quote:

I watched the parade (and threw tape) because my office is along the route. It is clearly sponsored. All of the floats have names of different companies all over them.

As for why in NYC, I mentioned that there is a specific history of NYC holding ticker tape parades. It stems from actual stock ticker tape being thrown out of the windows along Broadway in th FIDI in celebration.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:48 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:

The sponsors are only paying up $450K of the $2 million:

"Friday’s ticker-tape parade for the World Cup-winning U.S. women’s soccer team will cost $2 million, with taxpayers footing a majority of the bill, city officials said Wednesday.

Corporate sponsors have agreed to contribute about $450,000, said Phil Walzak, a spokesman for the Mayor Bill de Blasio. The parade’s price tag will cover security, personnel and cleanup costs as well as float decorations, Mr. Walzak said.
"

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ticker-t...ion-1436384080

How generous of Bill to spend $1.5M of our money on a party

Old 07-10-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

"Friday’s ticker-tape parade for the World Cup-winning U.S. women’s soccer team will cost $2 million, with taxpayers footing a majority of the bill, city officials said Wednesday.

Corporate sponsors have agreed to contribute about $450,000, said Phil Walzak, a spokesman for the Mayor Bill de Blasio. The parade’s price tag will cover security, personnel and cleanup costs as well as float decorations, Mr. Walzak said.
"

Ticker-Tape Parade for U.S. Women

In the field that says pay extra on your taxes I'll throw in an extra penny. That should cover more than your share with the amount of people in the city.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:04 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
In the field that says pay extra on your taxes I'll throw in an extra penny. That should cover more than your share with the amount of people in the city.
No worries it's all good, there should be at least a couple dozen trip and fall lawsuits from the parade that Bill will be in a hurry to settle. Handing out money is his way of sparking the economy. Not exactly an economics major but what are you gonna do

Old 07-10-2015, 03:53 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
Quote:
Maybe it was nasty but I'm pretty sick of peoples lack of patriotism in this country. I'm a proud American and if you don't support the country you should GTFO!

Whoops there I go being "nasty" again.
Soccer, is not a national sport nor pastime.

Not agreeing with the government governed by the people, is absolutely 100% patriotic.

You have no business on being on any kind of forum, please look up the etymology of that word, with nothing but a narrow viewpoint and dismissal of others commentary. Heed your own advice.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

"

Ticker-Tape Parade for U.S. Women

There are at least 14 annual parades in NYC, plus these spontaneous ones. You should be busy in all the 'anti-parade-due-to-fiscal-irresponsibility' threads cluttering up this forum.

Personally I dislike parades and think they are wasteful on many levels, but I don't see why one celebrating our triumphant women's soccer team should be singled out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City