Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 6,214 times

Advertisements

So I have been living with my mother in this apartment for about 5-6 years now. I was 23 when we both moved in to this apartment. The apartment is great, we are across the park (prospect park). The rent is reasonable. So the long story is about 3 years ago i had a suspicion that mother was not paying the rent ( i would give her cash for my part of the rent), i was right. My mother was on a two week European trip with her cousins and friends. i received a call from ADT stating my alarm went off…i rushed home to discover a eviction notice in front of the door. I read the notice and just collapse crying. Called the number and was told i had to go to the NY housing court in downtown brooklyn. After speaking with a clerk i was told that my mother owned over $7,000 of back rent. Prior to that the landlord did take my mother to court, she never told me. I had to find a away to pay the $7,000 that day. My boss YES MY BOSS GAVE ME A MONEY ORDER OF $7,000 and handed it of to the landlord. That loan has been paid off.

I recently looked at my credit history and don't see this on my credit report, i did sign the lease as well. I was just curious to know how come its not their, i double check twice. I plan to move out in a couple of months because my landlord refuse to remove my name of the lease since i still live there. I would like to move out ASAP because again my mother is not paying her part of the rent AGAIN!, i cannot take this finiacial abuse, i pay for everything else electricity bill, gas, cable bill, etc. i feel like I'm being taking advantage of.Her excuse is she only makes $600 every two weeks. I am in a bought position.

So here are my questions:
Wouldn't this show up on my credit report? if yes, is their a way for me to see it ( i check my credit history with the 3 credit company)

What is another alternative for me to remove my name of the lease?

Last edited by pinktanktop; 08-06-2015 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 02:44 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
What sort of public records are listed on credit reports varies by local state laws. New York does not allow housing court, criminal convictions and some other court records on personal credit reports. People can still access such information via a record search or now by various new "background" check services however.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:17 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Your problem will come IF you leave and your name is on that lease and your mother runs up another 7G's in back rent. The landlord can come after YOU for the entire amount.

Quote:

i did sign the lease as well.
Why did you renew the lease if you knew you wanted out?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:56 PM

518 posts, read 825,984 times
Eviction notices are public records and landlords can check on line to see if a prospective tenant has ever had one. Most landlords do.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
Eviction notices are public records and landlords can check on line to see if a prospective tenant has ever had one. Most landlords do.
Do you have a link to those public records?

Old 08-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Your problem will come IF you leave and your name is on that lease and your mother runs up another 7G's in back rent. The landlord can come after YOU for the entire amount.

Why did you renew the lease if you knew you wanted out?
I am still trying to save money to move out. i had no choice. i know i can pay the rent all by myself but that was not part of the plan. its just trying to save money for the moving services. deposit etc….

Old 08-07-2015, 11:19 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
I would disown a family member if they did that to me. Immediate or Extended... fack that!

Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
So you went back to paying your mom in cash after she did this? *SMH* You should have kicked her to the curb as soon as she got back from vacation.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
I would disown a family member if they did that to me. Immediate or Extended... fack that!
Easier said than done. Till this day i cannot trust her with money. its always a financial issue between us. I am drained. i cannot live in these conditions were i feel like I'm being taking advantage of…which i am .

Old 08-07-2015, 11:23 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Her mom was like YOLO by daughter can pay the bills and getting some European sausage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: