Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 09:00 AM

19 posts, read 65,569 times

Advertisements

I have posted before about going to THE PATH for shelter for me and my child. After 2 weeks they denied me. Told me I was ineligible to stay in the shelter we were in and that we had to leave and cannot apply again for 10 days. That was the first heartbreaking news I had to hear all summer. Not only am I now street homeless so is my child. I received emergency food stamps last month and this month they denied me for SNAP benefits. Now I'm faced with limits on food. I went to my "nearest pantry" like I was advised to only to get 1 pack of meat and a few can good and juice until NEXT MONTH! they will only provide food once a month. What am I supposed to do??? I turned to CL to look for some free housing for the meantime until I can get a job but all I keep running into are a bunch of creeps and run arounds. I don't now what to do anymore. Giving my circumstances I would think I would be able to get help from this so called great city I live in but they are just the worse in the welfare office. I used the last few dollars and change to get back and forth to a appointment with them just for them to tell me I was denied. I'm stuck. No money, no food, no housing. I prayed and prayed every day for my situation to get better and everyday it just gets worse. Do me and my child have to starve, get snatched up on the streets for GOD or anyone else to see that I need help!!!! I wish I had family like everybody else to turn too, but a bunch of drug addicts can't do to much for me at this point. I'm tired I'm sick and I'm tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 09:03 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
where is the baby's father? why don't you stay with him?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:13 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Didn't you move here from another state ? I seem to recall you mentioned that.

There are a lot of people here already who need help - therefore, lacking significant resources or job prospects New York is not the smartest destination.

I noticed that you do not explain the reasons for the denials.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Baby's father is abusive. I moved out here with him in hopes of s new start. Just go into another altercation a day ago. I moved away from my drug addict parents because the environment is unsafe. They denied me from PATH because they are telling me to go stay back with them. I have explained time and time again that there is a lot a domestic and drug related problems with them but they do not seem to understand that.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Ok Mylemons, here is a good starting point for you. A listing of many NYC soup kitchens. That should take care of your food, and perhaps someone at one of these can help you with shelter.

Soup kitchen, volunteer New York, NY

Old 08-08-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergeek40 View Post
ok mylemons, here is a good starting point for you. A listing of many nyc soup kitchens. That should take care of your food, and perhaps someone at one of these can help you with shelter.

soup kitchen, volunteer new york, ny

thank you!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:13 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
YW.
good luck!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:14 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
The problem we have here is that we are required to house everyone - at taxpayer expense, of course. People are choosing to go for that "fresh start" here for precisely that reason. This policy is slowly changing and will probably change much more, adding residency requirements - most people are in favor of this.

Given the current "house everyone" policy, though, it is not as though you will be out on the street, as you state. You will be put up somewhere from the Bronx check-in center. And many other soup kitchen-type places exist. There are some excellent family living shelters and I would guess that you did not qualify for one of those in the end.

My point was - why choose New York specifically.
Again ... we already have people who need help. It's not a good choice without capital or really good job prospects. Not to mention, securing a job offer before you decide to move.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:31 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Ok Mylemons, here is a good starting point for you. A listing of many NYC soup kitchens. That should take care of your food, and perhaps someone at one of these can help you with shelter.

Soup kitchen, volunteer New York, NY
Great idea, show the Op where she can get meals as well as return the favor by volunteering!

OP the issue is you have all these demands upon finding job, you won't work in the Bronx, you can only work 8-4. You seem to be looking at a certain type of Job. You can't come to one of the most expensive cities and have all these demands while, you are alone, taking care of a baby, have no home, no help, no food etc.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 08-08-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 10:48 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylemons View Post
I wish I had family like everybody else to turn too, but a bunch of drug addicts can't do to much for me at this point. I'm tired I'm sick and I'm tired.
If your family can't help out, what about friends you grew up with? Maybe call a few friends and see if they have room to host you for a little while til you get a job. Since you're not from NYC, hopefully you are from a part of the country where people live in actual houses, or apartments that have guest rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City