Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:14 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You are joking, right?

Everything in NYC is pleaded down except for air tight cases, and even then a good attorney might be able to work something out.

So prevalent are plea deals in NYS/NYC that anyone who knows anything and is presented with someone that has a criminal record will ask "what were/are the underlying charges?". You can be arrested for say indoor prossing but get it pleaded down to disorderly conduct.

To the OP's query, no there isn't anything to plead down to because it is a violation already. One that carries mandatory points but never the less a violation.
You're talking about criminal cases and the penal code, which has nothing to do with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 05:16 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
for sure it has nothing to do with tvb hearings which are not even a real court .

Old 08-17-2015, 05:25 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I for one happen to agree with the OP and think they are a little draconian handing out 5 points for a cell phone ticket. What's next? 2 points for getting caught picking your nose, playing with the stereo or sipping a bottle of water while the car is in motion? Point being there are countless things that can distract you while behind the wheel and I sort of bristle at the nanny state of affairs we find ourselves in. As usual it's the dumbest segment of the population busy making life hell for everybody else.
Thanks for telling us you're another selfish individual who has absolutely no regard for the safety and well-being of others. Your reasoning is sophomoric. Not only should points be placed on offenders licenses but phones should by law be confiscated on site.

Last edited by OneToGo; 08-17-2015 at 05:38 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 05:28 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
the issue is it isn't holding the phones as much as it is being engrossed in the conversation on the phone which tends to take far more of our attention then just chatting with the person next to you .

the cell phone laws still have not addressed the issue of distracted driving . they only let you hide it better legally with hands free .

Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I think ANYONE caught talking on a cell phone while driving, (people, you should all know better) should have thier phone destroyed and be put right to jail for a week, right from the car.

what makes people think it is OK to talk on a cell while driving a car?

we do have a bunch of moron living amongst us!! it is actually sad.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:29 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Thanks for telling us you're another selfish individual who has absolutely no regard for the safety and well-being of others. Your reasoning is sophomoric. Not only should points be placed on offenders licenses but phones should by law be confiscated on site.
Ok keep your pants on buddy. I never said I advocated using use the phone irresponsibly while the vehicle in motion. There are right ways and wrong ways to do it and everybody with a driver's license should know the difference. The problem is they hand out licenses to practically anybody who asks for one so now we get babysitter time. Lol, yeah. Confiscate people's property for minor violations...speaking of sophomoric.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think ANYONE caught talking on a cell phone while driving, (people, you should all know better) should have thier phone destroyed and be put right to jail for a week, right from the car.

Because some people are capable of doing it without incident and some aren't. It's just not politically correct to say that some people are simply dumber or less capable than others, so we all get to suffer laws that cater to the biggest idiots.

I get it though...this is one of those issues they've brainwashed everybody into believing is some mortal threat to society and some of the responses here clearly demonstrate that achievement.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:42 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Agree and agree with nightcrawler below.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:44 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i rather see someone get a speeding ticket then cell phone . generally when you speed you are concentrating on your driving , maybe even more so . i know until i got my six point ticket i was very fixated on my driving if i was going faster .

now i am the old guy doing the limit in the right lane ha ha ha .

april will be 4 years so all traces of it will be gone . luckily the insurance company never raised me a penny .
I got a speeding ticket when I was driving to work and I was so focused on driving and getting there (because that week at the hospital had been crazy and I was rushing to get there) that I didn't even realize how fast I was going. When you got the six points, did you do the defensive driving course or whatever to lower it? Cause I'm heading down that path right about now...

I think speeders are the least offensive. The most offensive drivers are distracted drivers and insane lane changers---because cutting everyone off ASAP, lane after lane, doesn't end up slowing EVERYONE else down---thank god you got that one car ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Yet look at all of the people who are allowed to talk on the phone as long as it's hands-free. And look at all the people who drive in the car with others and talk to them.

(I hate people on cell phones as well but I think talking on them is comparable to any other distraction in the car. Nothing is worse than TEXTING and driving. Oh and the person I saw READING THROUGH THEIR MAIL while I was driving on the Belt Parkway.)

Old 08-17-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I got a speeding ticket when I was driving to work and I was so focused on driving and getting there (because that week at the hospital had been crazy and I was rushing to get there) that I didn't even realize how fast I was going. When you got the six points, did you do the defensive driving course or whatever to lower it? Cause I'm heading down that path right about now...

I think speeders are the least offensive. The most offensive drivers are distracted drivers and insane lane changers---because cutting everyone off ASAP, lane after lane, doesn't end up slowing EVERYONE else down---thank god you got that one car ahead!

Yet look at all of the people who are allowed to talk on the phone as long as it's hands-free. And look at all the people who drive in the car with others and talk to them.

(I hate people on cell phones as well but I think talking on them is comparable to any other distraction in the car. Nothing is worse than TEXTING and driving. Oh and the person I saw READING THROUGH THEIR MAIL while I was driving on the Belt Parkway.)
Speeding is a similar issue. There are appropriate and inappropriate ways to do it. Going 15 over through a neighborhood should get you pinned to the wall. Going 15 over on a wide open freeway where safe to do so should arouse no attention. The problem again is that stupid segment of the population who cant sense the appropriate safe speed for a driving situation, so we get stuck with speed limits that are often times arbitrarily low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City