Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:57 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Its actually not allowed. An unlimited Metrocard is lawfully only allowed to be used for one person per trip, however many transportation route that person takes per trip. It is not allowed to be used as the OP described. Sure, the OP could try doing what the post reads (after waiting 18 minutes), but should not be upset if he receives a fine for doing so. Now, what is allowed, is swiping someone through (even a stranger) with a pay-per-ride card or even swiping a stranger or someone else through with an unlimited card AFTER you have completed your trip (i.e. after departing the turnstile, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
As most people know ... there are indeed people with unlimited cards selling swipes outside the turnstiles. I do not know how much money they make. They do seem to have have dwindled over the last year, no idea why.

The MTA probably changed the time delay for that reason - I think it was shorter at one time ... ?
Ten minutes ?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Its actually not allowed. An unlimited Metrocard is lawfully only allowed to be used for one person per trip, however many transportation route that person takes per trip. It is not allowed to be used as the OP described. Sure, the OP could try doing what the post reads (after waiting 18 minutes), but should not be upset if he receives a fine for doing so. Now, what is allowed, is swiping someone through (even a stranger) with a pay-per-ride card or even swiping a stranger or someone else through with an unlimited card AFTER you have completed your trip (i.e. after departing the turnstile, etc.).
The last is not legal - they give people tickets for doing that at the 127th exit of the ABCD and I would assume elsewhere as well.

Nonetheless, there is a line of people waiting at any given time - "gimme a swipe." They can be aggressive.

And at least one person (there once were three) selling swipes. The machines are really often broken so this market was cornered immediately.

The sellers usually block all of the turnstiles with something and then block the open turnstile themselves, soliciting customers.

This has decreased, though. It was once a real nuisance. Begging for swipes has not.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:42 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Legal or not, I don't think saving $2.45 is worth 20 minutes of my time standing around in the subway station.
2.75, but nonetheless I agree. Just pay your fare nobody's entitled to ride for free.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:11 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Not exactly. If person A is swiping to get on the train and person B is swiping ten seconds later to get on the bus then it works because it's considered a transfer. And don't quote me on this but if the above works (as I have done it multiple times) I don't see why this scenerio wouldn't (haven't tried it):

Person A swipes at Stop 1 - gives card to Person B - and Person B walks to Stop 2 and gets on with the same unlimited metrocard. I assume Person B would have to get on a different color/number train for it to be considered a transfer and work?

Just to be clear I am only replying to what WithDisp said because OP's question wasn't the brightest.
Yes. The situation you have described would work.
Also on a fixed money metrocard this would work with a bus transfer, but NOT on a second subway.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:06 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The last is not legal - they give people tickets for doing that at the 127th exit of the ABCD and I would assume elsewhere as well.

Nonetheless, there is a line of people waiting at any given time - "gimme a swipe." They can be aggressive.

And at least one person (there once were three) selling swipes. The machines are really often broken so this market was cornered immediately.

The sellers usually block all of the turnstiles with something and then block the open turnstile themselves, soliciting customers.

This has decreased, though. It was once a real nuisance. Begging for swipes has not.
See, I've heard conflicting things on that. The most recent I've heard/read from a media source was from a NYP article last year. See: ‘Occupy’ group urging straphangers to give away MetroCards in MTA protest | New York Post

And I've had the way I explained the matter in my first post for unlimited card swipes for other people described to me this way by various other non-news sources.

Regardless of what the ultimate state of the law, the fact that the police ticket for this issue isn't very helpful. Indeed, the NYPD also tickets people for using their cell phones while riding bikes, even though the law explicitly says that the phone ban relates to use while driving a motor vehicle. And they continued to ticket topless women years after the Court of Appeals ruled that women can walk down the street topless.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:24 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Regardless of what the ultimate state of the law, the fact that the police ticket for this issue isn't very helpful. Indeed, the NYPD also tickets people for using their cell phones while riding bikes, even though the law explicitly says that the phone ban relates to use while driving a motor vehicle. And they continued to ticket topless women years after the Court of Appeals ruled that women can walk down the street topless.
Because there is no accountability amongst officers, something that radically needs to change.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
See, I've heard conflicting things on that. The most recent I've heard/read from a media source was from a NYP article last year. See: ‘Occupy’ group urging straphangers to give away MetroCards in MTA protest | New York Post
Yes, I am familiar. I didn't notice where they assured of the legality. I think it is one of those gray areas.

Did they ever get that manna, by the way ? from heaven and all.

Because under our current economic organization, someone needs to pay. It will never be the case that monies are taken from executives - analogous to those truly useless and quite well-paid people in university administrations.

Most of the "Occupy" movement was self-serving in the extreme. I would not take anything they said seriously.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:17 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
And they continued to ticket topless women years after the Court of Appeals ruled that women can walk down the street topless.
Look, I don't mind a little police brutality now and then, even a few innocent people getting killed by them is ultimately harmless.

But when they start taking away the right of a woman to be topless in public in our great city, that's where I have to draw the line!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:07 PM

446 posts, read 997,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Certainly not, which of course is the reason they put the time delay in. Otherwise you'd have bums standing there selling swipes for a buck and making $500 a day.
Bums?? Hell, I'm a working professional and even I'd make that my weekend gig if this was possible, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: