Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:26 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,879 times

Advertisements

This is one thing I find hilarious in minor ways, yet very annoying and obnoxious in the majority of the case. I experienced this in many different neighborhoods of NYC including mine. I am sure many of the numerous individuals here may have experienced this scenario a few times too many also.

When there is a turnstile "can I have or use your metrocard" beggar who waits along the turnstiles of the subway, asking you and others if they can get a swipe or even if you can buy them a Metro. In the majority of my experience these folks do not appear homeless! Some will ask you every time you see them, others have the audacity to 'pinch and swipe the air' as if you suppose to know what that means (you would eventually get the point). I've seen this among younger individual in their mid to later teens and men in their 50's and 60's.

I've seen this a notable amount of times, day and night. In my particular stop, I've seen the same metrocard beggar keying his apt door shut, when I was walking around him and had time to go to the deli, few minutes later, as I am walking up the staircase, he is doing his "hand swipe to the air" gesture while walking up the same stairs (with shopping items in plastic bag) to folks going up and down, and then waiting at the turnstile asking people getting off or going.

Why make plans to go out and take the train if one cannot afford or even consider buying a metrocard. It's obnoxious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:10 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
This is one thing I find hilarious in minor ways, yet very annoying and obnoxious in the majority of the case. I experienced this in many different neighborhoods of NYC including mine. I am sure many of the numerous individuals here may have experienced this scenario a few times too many also.

When there is a turnstile "can I have or use your metrocard" beggar who waits along the turnstiles of the subway, asking you and others if they can get a swipe or even if you can buy them a Metro. In the majority of my experience these folks do not appear homeless! Some will ask you every time you see them, others have the audacity to 'pinch and swipe the air' as if you suppose to know what that means (you would eventually get the point). I've seen this among younger individual in their mid to later teens and men in their 50's and 60's.

I've seen this a notable amount of times, day and night. In my particular stop, I've seen the same metrocard beggar keying his apt door shut, when I was walking around him and had time to go to the deli, few minutes later, as I am walking up the staircase, he is doing his "hand swipe to the air" gesture while walking up the same stairs (with shopping items in plastic bag) to folks going up and down, and then waiting at the turnstile asking people getting off or going.

Why make plans to go out and take the train if one cannot afford or even consider buying a metrocard. It's obnoxious...
Most are not homeless, Just looking for the free ride. They are less of a concern then the ones who sell swipes i think. I had some words one once after i was using the machine and he walked up and hit cancel so i would buy a $2.00 swipe from him. Best advice here: Just keep moving along.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
I've thought about saying "give me a dollar for it" and split the benefit, but the response will invariably be the same- they have so many people they can ask, they will ignore and move on.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
A couple of weeks ago a woman stopped me on Queens Blvd. asking me how to get to the Bronx. I thought she was asking for directions and I pointed her to a subway entrance nearby (which I had just exited). My metrocard was still in my hand and she grabbed it out of my hand saying that is not what she meant (meaning she didn't need directions). She clarified that she was looking for help to pay her fare as she handed me back my metrocard. She was nicely dressed and definitely didn't look like she was homeless or couldn't afford to use the subway. I just continued on my way which was in the opposite direction and didn't look back. I remember feeling somewhat shocked at the time.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Most are not homeless, Just looking for the free ride.
In Harlem, especially at the 127th entrance of the 125th Street stop, they are clearly not homeless. They are locals and quite aggressive. At least a dozen or so are lined up at any given time, accosting people. My neighbor (social worker) told me that most welfare programs provide a metrocard, and that people commonly sell this for cash, therefore lacking one for themselves.

Someone told me that a person giving a swipe can be ticketed - do not know whether this is true.
At one time I would do this when people asked, I then stopped.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In Harlem, especially at the 127th entrance of the 125th Street stop, they are clearly not homeless. They are locals and quite aggressive. At least a dozen or so are lined up at any given time, accosting people. My neighbor (social worker) told me that most welfare programs provide a metrocard, and that people commonly sell this for cash, therefore lacking one for themselves.

Someone told me that a person giving a swipe can be ticketed - do not know whether this is true.
At one time I would do this when people asked, I then stopped.

I think it is! i know buying a swipe from the illegal sellers can. It's one of those things that create just that little extra stress daily in this city, Just like the folks who hang out in front of convenience stores hitting people up for change-Or beer. Yes, A guy asked me point blank to get him a small budwieser once on my dime.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:17 PM

79 posts, read 434,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A couple of weeks ago a woman stopped me on Queens Blvd. asking me how to get to the Bronx. I thought she was asking for directions and I pointed her to a subway entrance nearby (which I had just exited). My metrocard was still in my hand and she grabbed it out of my hand saying that is not what she meant (meaning she didn't need directions). She clarified that she was looking for help to pay her fare as she handed me back my metrocard. She was nicely dressed and definitely didn't look like she was homeless or couldn't afford to use the subway. I just continued on my way which was in the opposite direction and didn't look back. I remember feeling somewhat shocked at the time.
You are a better person than I am. I would have lost my **** if she grabbed my metrocard from my hand, especially considering I was trying to help her by offering directions. Makes me cringe how people like this have no shame.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:56 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vescuzzi View Post
You are a better person than I am. I would have lost my **** if she grabbed my metrocard from my hand, especially considering I was trying to help her by offering directions. Makes me cringe how people like this have no shame.
As I wrote I was quite shocked when it happened and it was in an area that I don't usually go. But it was in a good area so I would never expected any type of crime there of any kind on a sunny afternoon during a heatwave.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:13 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I had some words one once after i was using the machine and he walked up and hit cancel so i would buy a $2.00 swipe from him. Best advice here: Just keep moving along.
WOWZERS!
That takes balls.
Imagine that---your in a rush to get to work and some nut tries to bully you into buying a metrocard from him.
I think I woulda lost my mind.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
I think it's a symptom of our freeloading nation- nowadays people seem to expect something for nothing, and have the nerve to get upset when they don't receive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City