Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times

Advertisements

lol the nerve of beggars smh..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:14 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I don't think that is so. I was chatting with a cop the other day about this very thing and he didn't say a thing about it being illegal.
Oh ok.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
Oh ok.
He did mention that some of the people who ask for swipes are criminals who want to board the system to rip off people. I thought this was a bit of a stretch, but I did not say anything. I tend to be very polite to people armed with deadly weapons.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM

458 posts, read 616,486 times
I could imagine myself losing my wallet far from home and not having an easy way to get back. If they don't seem to be trying to game the system (which is very rare, admittedly) I'll swype them through. If I have an unlimited that month obviously I can't help them.

And I don't believe it is illegal - I often swype friends through with no problem and I don't see why this would be any different in the eyes of the MTA/law.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
And I don't believe it is illegal - I often swype friends through with no problem and I don't see why this would be any different in the eyes of the MTA/law.
You're free to believe what you like, of course. But I can tell you as an MTA employee: the transit system maintains an internal radio system called the "six wire," by which it can communicate directly with the police. Many times, I've heard calls go out over the six-wire for police to respond to a station where people were selling MetroCard swipes. That doesn't speak well for legality. Just so you know.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 PM

7 posts, read 18,433 times
Whenever I have an unlimited and the person asks in a decent way, I usually give a swipe. It doesn't take a second nor does it diminish the value of the card. Even when it isn't an unlimited, as long as I'm paying for the card I've given swipes. By the way, a public transportation fare is a tax subsidy, making the Mass Transit Authority's responsibility a municipal obligation not a private business. Note that MTA sells the fares, they don't rent them.

Last edited by NYC I SEE; 08-25-2012 at 11:59 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 AM

802 posts, read 1,683,017 times
I once swiped my card and some guy came up and tried to go through the turnstile (it was the revolving kind...not sure what you call it). Luckily, the machine said slide card again so he couldn't get through.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I once swiped my card and some guy came up and tried to go through the turnstile (it was the revolving kind...not sure what you call it). Luckily, the machine said slide card again so he couldn't get through.
Wow, quite a pair on that guy. I think of this situation sometimes because there are times the guys are there asking for a swipe and i wonder if there will come a time i go through and someone gets right on top of me and goes through as well. Which would result in a fine for both of us. I always keep my eyes open thinking of this.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:59 AM

448 posts, read 685,483 times
I have a unlimited so I dont mind, as long as they ask nicely. I always swipe young kids on. Just because I was a young bad ass kid once. I know they were probably out doing something they shouldnt have been, and is trying to race home before thier parents get off work. I been there before lol.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,380 times
saw someone getting a ticket for giving away a swipe with his unlimited...$40.00 by some rookie a##hole nypd cop...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City