Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,314 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Inwood, in the Seaman / Indian Road / Park Terrace neighborhood, but I have a few questions as the area is new for me.

The first question regards transportation. My (young) children are at school in the West Village and Upper West Side. I'm thinking of driving them rather than attempting to navigate on/off subways and transfers. If I were to need to be on the Upper West Side at 8:30am, and West Village at 9:00am, what time would you recommend that I leave from Park Terrace neighborhood by car? And, are there folks out there who commute by car from Upper Manhattan to these neighborhoods and have advice on traffic patterns, etc? For parking, does anyone park at the Columbia University stadium / sports complex parking? Is that possible? If I can't find street parking, what are the nicest but still affordable garages? Is there a parking meter/charge for parking in the Park Terrace neighborhood, or is it just a matter of finding a spot? Do any of the buildings in the neighborhood have empty parking spots/open lots?

In the Park Terrace neighborhood, are there any streets/buildings that you would highly recommend? And then favorite vendors (dry cleaner; groceries; pharmacy; bank; newsstand, etc)?

What are some of the other considerations of moving to Inwood? In short, I live on the UES now but want to move to the West Side, along the 1 line, and want a very quiet residential neighborhood, for a family-sized apartment, with easy access to the outdoors. It seems that this Park Terrace neighborhood would fit the bill. Any recommendations before I make this (probable) move to Inwood?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,541 times
Why do you want to move to inwood from ues? If you can afford ues then why not move to the uws?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:39 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
Why do you want to move to inwood from ues? If you can afford ues then why not move to the uws?
A lot more space for a lot less money ?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
A lot more space for a lot less money ?
Time is more valuable than money. Inwood to Upper West Side then to West Village is a trip. Also, the rent in Inwood is catching up to the rest of Manhattan.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:02 AM

424 posts, read 974,440 times
I'd wouldn't recommend a family to move to Inwood despite there being more space for your money- especially coming from the UES. The 2 neighborhoods are completely different in many ways. Even though the area immediately around Park Terrace and Indian Road at the very northern tip of Inwood are the nice, quiet parts most of the Inwood has some very apparent QOL issues. It is also not a quiet neighborhood at all. In fact one of the loudest areas of Manhattan despite also being the smallest and has a high amount of noise complaints to 311. Take a walk up Broadway on a summer day for a better idea of how the neighborhood is... I lived there for a year and that was as much as I could take of the lawless motorcycle gangs who take over Upper Manhattan all day every day whenever the weather warms up; even sometimes during the winter.

I'd recommend Hudson Heights, which is just to the south of Inwood, on the other side of Fort Tyron Park as well as Riverdale in the Bronx for families if you're looking for a quiet and safe neighborhood located along the 1 train. Though, it is a bit of a commute.

If you can afford it I'd say the UWS is one of the best areas of Manhattan for families and is the most kid friendly also.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:

I'm thinking of driving them rather than attempting to navigate on/off
subways and transfers.
I'd recommend you give up that thought and just get them on the #1 train at 215th St.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I'd recommend you give up that thought and just get them on the #1 train at 215th St.
she is better off staying in the UES.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 PM

338 posts, read 677,389 times
I can't say anything about driving (don't have a car) but if you live in or around Park Terrace, you shouldn't be bothered by noise. That really is the nicest section of Inwood. My friend lives in 10 Park Terrace East and it's lovely--nice and quiet and the building is beautiful and well-maintained. (Sorry, I don't know the landlord's name.)

If you live east of Broadway (it sounds unlikely from your post but just in case), make sure your apartment is away from the street. Yes, the noise can be pretty bad on some nights (New Year's Eve, Fourth of July) but if you're off the street it's much better.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:20 PM

19 posts, read 103,922 times
Default Don't do it

Most people up in inwood not drive so don't expect much replies.
If u wanna know time it takes and how miserable the drive is, try it on a weekday. U will be sitting in traffic will all those NJ people coming off the GW bridge. Try going down Broadway and you'll hit tons of lights.

Wanna know the subway situation. Same thing try taking the 1 or A during AM rush. Lot of characters on there and when the 1 is down, everyone flocks to the A or vice verse. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Stay where you are on UWS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn10064 View Post
I am thinking of moving to Inwood, in the Seaman / Indian Road / Park Terrace neighborhood, but I have a few questions as the area is new for me.

The first question regards transportation. My (young) children are at school in the West Village and Upper West Side. I'm thinking of driving them rather than attempting to navigate on/off subways and transfers. If I were to need to be on the Upper West Side at 8:30am, and West Village at 9:00am, what time would you recommend that I leave from Park Terrace neighborhood by car? And, are there folks out there who commute by car from Upper Manhattan to these neighborhoods and have advice on traffic patterns, etc? For parking, does anyone park at the Columbia University stadium / sports complex parking? Is that possible? If I can't find street parking, what are the nicest but still affordable garages? Is there a parking meter/charge for parking in the Park Terrace neighborhood, or is it just a matter of finding a spot? Do any of the buildings in the neighborhood have empty parking spots/open lots?

In the Park Terrace neighborhood, are there any streets/buildings that you would highly recommend? And then favorite vendors (dry cleaner; groceries; pharmacy; bank; newsstand, etc)?

What are some of the other considerations of moving to Inwood? In short, I live on the UES now but want to move to the West Side, along the 1 line, and want a very quiet residential neighborhood, for a family-sized apartment, with easy access to the outdoors. It seems that this Park Terrace neighborhood would fit the bill. Any recommendations before I make this (probable) move to Inwood?

Many thanks!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:37 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateO View Post
Most people up in inwood not drive so don't expect much replies.
If u wanna know time it takes and how miserable the drive is, try it on a weekday. U will be sitting in traffic will all those NJ people coming off the GW bridge. Try going down Broadway and you'll hit tons of lights.

Wanna know the subway situation. Same thing try taking the 1 or A during AM rush. Lot of characters on there and when the 1 is down, everyone flocks to the A or vice verse. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Stay where you are on UWS!

I agree with this but these are all questions you should know the answers to before you commit to move to any area--- sounds like you have not really done your homework yet. All things being equal in the cost of housing I am not sure this is the right move for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City