Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A couple of weeks ago a woman stopped me on Queens Blvd. asking me how to get to the Bronx. I thought she was asking for directions and I pointed her to a subway entrance nearby (which I had just exited). My metrocard was still in my hand and she grabbed it out of my hand saying that is not what she meant (meaning she didn't need directions). She clarified that she was looking for help to pay her fare as she handed me back my metrocard. She was nicely dressed and definitely didn't look like she was homeless or couldn't afford to use the subway. I just continued on my way which was in the opposite direction and didn't look back. I remember feeling somewhat shocked at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
She gave it BACK and barely touched the guy. How is that assault and robbery? It's obnoxious, definitely, but you're really jonesing for victimhood status by trying to classify it as assault. (And the cops would laugh at you and likely arrest you if you attacked her.)
Remind me to keep my wife & kids away from Gee1995. God help you if you think there's nothing wrong with that.

Total violation and clearly an assault, she should have spent the night in jail and had to pay a fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 AM

338 posts, read 677,389 times
God help you! Oh how precious. You sound like my grandmother, are your pearls clutched yet? Are you that fragile?

My ex-BF is an FBI agent, and has a ton of cops as friends. We hang out all the time. I guarantee you they would laugh their a**es off at a dude who wanted to press charges for assault and robbery against a woman who took and immediately gave back a MetroCard, *especially* if you physically attacked her in retaliation. God help you if you're not enough of a man to say something rude in response to her and move on. As I said, sure, it's obnoxious, and as I've said several times in this thread already, I detest the "can I get a swipe" beggars. But it ain't A&R.

"God help you." That is really funny. The CD forum has gotten so dramatic! I can't wait for the Showdown at the Platform, West Side Story-style!.

The beggars gonna have their day toniiiight!
We'll board the subway but we will not pay toniiight!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
God help you! Oh how precious. You sound like my grandmother, are your pearls clutched yet? Are you that fragile?

My ex-BF is an FBI agent, and has a ton of cops as friends. We hang out all the time. I guarantee you they would laugh their a**es off at a dude who wanted to press charges for assault and robbery against a woman who took and immediately gave back a MetroCard, *especially* if you physically attacked her in retaliation. God help you if you're not enough of a man to say something rude in response to her and move on. As I said, sure, it's obnoxious, and as I've said several times in this thread already, I detest the "can I get a swipe" beggars. But it ain't A&R.

"God help you." That is really funny. The CD forum has gotten so dramatic! I can't wait for the Showdown at the Platform, West Side Story-style!.

The beggars gonna have their day toniiiight!
We'll board the subway but we will not pay toniiight!
Were you the first prize winner at your sororities' drama contest?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Someone grabbing a metrocard from another's hand like that is rude and plain wrong and still theft of services. The OP has a right to be upset about that. At what point do we stop making excuses for behavior like this? Is there no respect anymore at all for people who live by not breaking the law and showing common decency when outside?

Old 03-24-2014, 02:27 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Someone grabbing a metrocard from another's hand like that is rude and plain wrong and still theft of services.
How is it still "theft of services" when the woman gave it back to her?

I agree that she was rude and out of her mind for pulling the card out of the poster's hand, but she gave it back.

Just HOW do YOU classify this as "theft of services"?

I'm curious.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
How is it still "theft of services" when the woman gave it back to her?

I agree that she was rude and out of her mind for pulling the card out of the poster's hand, but she gave it back.

Just HOW do YOU classify this as "theft of services"?

I'm curious.
The theft is not against the person (assuming the person wasn't planning on going back through the turnstyle), the theft of services is against the MTA

Old 03-24-2014, 02:47 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The theft is not against the person (assuming the person wasn't planning on going back through the turnstyle), the theft of services is against the MTA
If the woman used the MetroCard, it would be Theft of Services.
It would also be Larceny, even if returned. If someone grabbed your wallet from your hand, looked through it, then returned it, that's still theft.
http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article155.htm
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/P...E/J/165/165.15

Last edited by bigjake54; 03-24-2014 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Did she use the MetroCard? Then, it would be Theft of Services.
It would also be Theft From Person, even if returned. If someone grabbed your wallet from your hand, looked through it, then returned it, that's still theft.
Article 155 - New York State Penal Law Code - Larceny
N.Y. PEN. LAW § 165.15 : NY Code - Section 165.15: Theft of services
Don't tell that to Gee1995, according to him it's akin to taking a sunny vacation in the caribbean and you should be happy to have had such an amazing experience in the subway

Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 13,423 times
I'm doing a research on Fare Evaders, just wondering what other ways are people submitting to, when they don’t want to pay the turnstile?

1. MetroCard swiping
2. MetroCard Beggars
3. MetroCard Monthly subscribers providers (kind folks that willingly use their metro card to pay for beggars)

Also, I'd guess Metro authorities must know ALL the techniques used to avoid paying.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCOTO NELLIE View Post
I'm doing a research on Fare Evaders, just wondering what other ways are people submitting to, when they don’t want to pay the turnstile?

1. MetroCard swiping
2. MetroCard Beggars
3. MetroCard Monthly subscribers providers (kind folks that willingly use their metro card to pay for beggars)

Also, I'd guess Metro authorities must know ALL the techniques used to avoid paying.
4. Squeezing in 2 or 3 deep through the un-staffed turnsiles

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City